Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Thanks jokiin (he sent me the special firmware) It won't let me upgrade unfortunately but it was worth a shot. (tried on both of my 0801's) The subtle hardware differences are enough to not trigger the update I guess.

I think it's time I let my new Givoe internal model record via it's internal memory for awhile and see if it trips up. (leaving the 32gb out all together) I also just found a 4gb class 4 card in my junk drawer. I forgot I had this for my old Kenwood receiver for firmware updates. I'm going to try and rule out the class 10 issue. I'll try both options and report back so we can find some patterns here.

No but I have a scribe and plastic spudger wedge if needed to pry open carefully. Is there a jumper or something to short to force update?

No but I have a scribe and plastic spudger wedge if needed to pry open carefully. Is there a jumper or something to short to force update?

no not that, if you do have it open at anytime just have a look at the revision number on the mainboard, there have been a few versions already, might be worth noting which one you have

if you ever want to you can upgrade the internal memory, it's just a MicroSD card so easy to swap out

Has anyone noticed that while driving the camera is recording and all of a sudden it stops. Or stops indicating it's recording. Normally it flashes the red LED and blue/red . But I noticed it stayed as Blue, I ended up taping the camera and it automatically started to record again with the same Red...red/blue LED combination.

I just played back my recording in RV, and didn't notice any skipping. Bug in the firmware? I'm running 2013/09/03

When you say it "stayed as blue" do you mean it was a solid blue light or was it a blinking blue light?

What I've figured out is that the flashing red light means the battery is charging. So when it's blinking red/blue it's both charging and recording. Then after a couple minutes the battery is charged so the red stops blinking and I get just the blinking blue.

Ah ha! I think you nailed it. makes sense... But the funny thing is when it was just blue. I taped the camera as if there was a jolt and it went to red ...red/blue again.

I will see if I can record it next time with my phone.

I also noticed if it's not flashing just RED(which I assumed was recording) I hit the up arrow button it would begin to flash just red...red/blue again

When you say it "stayed as blue" do you mean it was a solid blue light or was it a blinking blue light?

What I've figured out is that the flashing red light means the battery is charging. So when it's blinking red/blue it's both charging and recording. Then after a couple minutes the battery is charged so the red stops blinking and I get just the blinking blue.

Jazjon, dis you rename the firmware jokiin send you?
I manage to use procam cx4 firmware by renaming it firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin.
So if it's an .bin file it should work.

yes please. I'd like to experiment.

Last edited:
efoo, i found an "easy" way to reencode audio.
I use avidemux (it seems you use a mac so i choosed a multi platform software)
I chose mp4 as output format, aac lav for audio and i choose in filter remix and mono.
I leave everything else to default.
It ouputs an mp4 file with real mono (center so both speakers) and video is untouched (no reencoding).

efoo, i found an "easy" way to reencode audio.
I use avidemux (it seems you use a mac so i choosed a multi platform software)

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have a desktop PC (running Windows 7), my laptop is Macbook. I am actually planning to view and edit my video on the PC.

I managed to flash my 0801 with jokiin firmware. You have to rename it firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin.
It's 20130924
It's in russian by default and i lost all my settings.
It has an gps (open/close) menu and outer/inner card ( Mine is without internal memory.)
The welcome screen is default (not procam one)
It has less options for time stamp : date/time/ Date time/ Car (with displays: Car number, speed,...)
it lacks the "driver number" option. it displays only date/time/Gps coordinates/Driver number.
I won't driver today, so my test will be at home without GPS.
I think i'll let this firmware and test is on road this week.

Just purchased two of these from eprance and waiting for my car before installing. One question though, as I have the GPS module, do I have to provide power through the GPS mount or can I power from the camera directly (while still keeping GPS functionality).

Just wondering as it would be neater cabling to take the cable straight up to the edge of the windscreen, rather than coming from the side.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have a desktop PC (running Windows 7), my laptop is Macbook. I am actually planning to view and edit my video on the PC.
avidemux is for all OS so windows/mac/linux. Hope it will be usefull for you.

power needs to go through the mount for the GPS to function and for it to auto record

Brilliant, that's what I originally thought, just checking I hadn't miss-understood something. Thanks for the quick reply

Mine keeps falling over with my class 10 card, I will hold off getting another until it can be determined what one will work 100% with it.

Ok I'm doing some testing to figure out when my camera crashes.

I'm using a Givoe GPS model without internal memory and running the 0903 firmware that it shipped with. Loop setting is at 1 minute. Video set at full hd. PNY 16gb class 10 card. I'm currently powering it in my house with an iPhone charger plugged directly into the camera body (not using the GPS mount). Here's what I've found so far:

- I can let the camera record overnight without any issues whatsoever.
- When it does crash, it so far has ALWAYS crashed at about the 1 minute mark (when it's saving the first 1 minute segment of a new recording). So when the camera is turned off, I plug it in, it starts recording, at the 1 minute mark it stops recording and gives me a "storage error" (or something like that). From this point I can push the OK button and it will start recording again.
- It does the same thing when mounted in the car and powered through the GPS mount so I don't think it has anything to do with the power supply or the GPS.
- It seems very random and only happens about 5-10% of the time (maybe less).

So basically if my camera makes it past the 1st minute without crashing, then it will record reliably until the end of that recording, even if it's 12 hours or more.

I'm thinking about changing the options to 3 or 5 minute loops and see if it either fixes it or starts crashing at the corresponding 3 or 5 minute mark. I also might try recording in 720p to see if that changes anything.

Bad news, I have the SAME problem! After the card is full, it will randomly power off after only a few minutes. If I format the card via 0801 it's good again until it's full. I was formatting often during my first week of play, so only now ran into this again since I'm leaving it alone in my car. I'm on firmware 20130903 still.

I tried using the Panasonic SD formater utility (full format), and then re-formated it via the 0801 menu after that. I let my camera record all night last night. I put it back into my car, and bam shuts down after a few minutes.

What's next? Should I try to format the card with a different Cluster size? (and then NOT re-format it in the 0801 itself) If so what size should I try first?
guiformat.exe ?
http://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=DQ3pHb5OwYTcNW/cpsh10hMuAWG3ha/0fBTkVARKCpQ=&locale=ru
HP Disk Format Tool?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml

Here's the card I'm using
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B009QZH7BU
Should I order a Samsung instead? If so which one?

If you look at the instructions.
http://dashcamtalk.com/cams/mini0801/Mini 0801 User Manual.pdf
Page 4 says
"Please use high-speed TF card meeting the specification of TFHC. (CLASS 4 or above, Class 10 may cause some problem because the speed of card is too fast, it is better not us class 10 card)"

Did anyone here actually buy a class 4 32GB card?

No, I've never heard anyone that put the CX4 firmware on the Mini 0801 yet so I didn't want to be the first. I'm not even sure if it will have English then!

I have been using a 4Gb class 4 all day, it's had no problems, I have a 32Gb Class 4 that I have just put in it, it will take me almost a week to fill it up, but I'll post what happens.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back