Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

3 mins is a long time but not unusual...

A GPS receiver needs to receive signal from at least 4 satellites to determine your location. Sometimes one of those satellites maybe very low on the horizon. Which will lead to longer lock times.

Has anyone noticed that the Red LED flashes twice quickly then goes to the purple. Could it be because it's almost full?

I noticed today, maybe it's because my Class 10 card is almost full, but I noticed that shortly after I started to drive the camera would stop recording. No error codes on the screen.

3 mins is a long time but not unusual...

we're a bit spoilt these days by other devices that use different technologies to help speed the lock, eg mobile phones that use A-GPS which is using all sorts of other location data for initial location info

Has anyone noticed that the Red LED flashes twice quickly then goes to the purple. Could it be because it's almost full?

I noticed today, maybe it's because my Class 10 card is almost full, but I noticed that shortly after I started to drive the camera would stop recording. No error codes on the screen.

This has been asked a few times in the past week. Any Flashing at all = Recording in progress.
Flashing Blue means the battery is done charging, and recording is in progress
Flashing Blue + Red (might look purple) means the battery is charging and recording is in progress.

Also, you should be using a Class 4 or 6 card if you don't want the Write Error's once it's full to trigger a shutdown or halted recording. I highly recommend you buy a new Class 4 or 6 microSD card if you want a reliable overwrite/recycle mode to happen once it's full. (see last few pages, breaking news)

I will be getting a Class 4/6 in the next few days.

As for the LED colors. This was totally different than what has been described before. It was Red..Red..Purple..Red..Red..Purple........

Normally its. Red..Purple..Red..Purple........

hmmm I'm not aware of that color combination yet. Anyone else?

this is from our old GS series camera but I'm sure the format would be similar

Red – Charging

Red Off – Charged

Blue- Power on

Blue flashing – Recording

There’s no purple but the red and blue together will look like purple from some angles

Interesting. I will turn it on now(I have about 4 gigs left on the 32 gig card) and see what happens. I want to see what happens when it's totally full if it will roll over on this Class10.

If the RED..RED...Red/Blue combo comes back I will record it with my phone. To show you what I mean.

It seems TechMoan gave up on his Mini 0801 already. Here is his latest DashCam (you'll see the Mini 0801 GPS Base still on his windshield)

It's too big, and I'm not impressed with the video quality. Parking Mode is cool I guess but that's about it.

It does seem to be have very good build-quality and menus. :)

It does seem to be have very good build-quality and menus. :)

Maybe, but it came out almost a year ago though. The video quality and bitrate looks grainy to me. Why he is reviewing a 1 year old camera is beyond me. It's also $140 for the NON GPS model! There is very little activity in the MiVue section of the forum.

Maybe, but it came out almost a year ago though. The video quality and bitrate looks grainy to me. Why he is reviewing a 1 year old camera is beyond me. It's also $140 for the NON GPS model! There is very little activity in the MiVue section of the forum.

okay... I didn't read the details. :) $140 is way too much... :)

I think it's cheaper now than it once was, there are also people that prefer to buy brands with a familiar name, products like this even though they might not represent the same value are often found in traditional retail channels where some people would prefer to purchase

Unless you're planning on waiting things out a few months, order the 0801 already. You're in nit picky mode at this point with all your posts. :p

Not picky.... oh... fine... I'm picky.... but also confused! : D :D :D
Please forgive me if my posts sometimes make me sound
like a newbie... because I am. :)

I just watched the original videos from the Mio 358 posted on Techmoan's website.
Is it just me or do those videos look great? (better colors, sharpness... especially
the 2nd video from the left... look at the color of the rear license plate... the yellow
is prettier... (compared directly to the mini 0801 videos from Techmoan's website)

Mio 358 videos from Techmoan
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9jzwxdpru1h1e0e/TZk9fRXu2D

Mini 0801 videos from Techmoan
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r21nnz6exj8v2u3/HSOg6mC9D5

I don't see it
Techmoan's 0801 test videos were done on the older firmware that recorded in .TS and 9-10Mbps. The new firmware records .MOV 12-15Mbps. I think the lens was tweaked to be slightly clearer on latest shipping 0801 units as well. (Clean CMOS sensor too). Anything vertically bigger than the 0801 is too big. (Horizontal is ok)

I will be getting a Class 4/6 in the next few days.

As for the LED colors. This was totally different than what has been described before. It was Red..Red..Purple..Red..Red..Purple........

Normally its. Red..Purple..Red..Purple........

The inbuilt 8GB card is actually a class 4 card and the instruction booklet also mention not to use a class 10 and above card.....

I thought it was purple till i realized that it's actually blue, just that the angle from looking up to the dashcam while it's close to the top of the windscreen might make it look purple due to the red led flashing at the same time..... possibly...

The inbuilt 8GB card is actually a class 4 card and the instruction booklet also mention not to use a class 10 and above card.....

I thought it was purple till i realized that it's actually blue, just that the angle from looking up to the dashcam while it's close to the top of the windscreen might make it look purple due to the red led flashing at the same time..... possibly...

The new 0922 fw has very good audio.
Still 1 speaker though, but loud enough to hear without cranking up the volume.
Audible from the device's speaker as well.
And a reintroduced GPS menu with "open" and "close" options.

Last edited:
Bad news.... Storage error on the 32gb class 4 card :( slightly annoyed now!!!! Think I may put my 4gb back in it for now until this can be resolved.

The new 0922 fw has very good audio.
Still 1 speaker though, but loud enough to hear without cranking up the volume.
Audible from the device's speaker as well.
And a reintroduced GPS menu with "open" and "close" options.

Did you buy a camera that already came with the 0922 fw or did you get the update from one of the sellers/manufacturers?

Bad news.... Storage error on the 32gb class 4 card :( slightly annoyed now!!!! Think I may put my 4gb back in it for now until this can be resolved.
I was afraid this might happen :( I don't think we've tested the Class 4 thoroughly enough to say that it's a fix. Hopefully yours was an isolated incident but I have a feeling that the problem is deeper than just Class 4 vs. Class 10.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back