Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Here is my install location.
It hides nicely behind my rearview mirror, and just under that big black spot(rain sensors)

On the top left corner of the red box is my transponder for the toll highway. They recommend to place it lower in the windshield to prevent that tinted area from blocking the signal. Not that I see why it would.

I'm planning on removing my mount because as you can see the gray double sided tape really makes it stand out.

note: I have now used a magic marker to hide the label on the camera

FVt7S08.jpg

I'm planning on removing my mount because as you can see the gray double sided tape really makes it stand out.

3M/Scotch also makes clear double-sided tape.... I used it 3 years ago to mount radar detector bracket to the windshield...
and the tape has worked perfectly as of today... Picked it up from the local Walmart, but it's also available via Amazon.

I have never seem 3M double-sided tape in black, however.

5109bVfyZ9L._SX385_.jpg

I don't have the mini 0801 yet....

I plan to mount it behind the rearview mirror, but it just occurred to me that my rearview mirror is not black.
It's beige, like the rest of the dashboard and interior. If I mount the black mini 0801 there, it will be very
noticeable, no? Does anyone here have non-black rearview mirrors? If so, could you post a picture of what
the 0801 looks like against a non-black(grey, beigh) rearview mirror?

Thanks! :)

481851d1354166181-sale-mercedes-w140-interior-rear-view-interior-rear-view-mirror-003.jpg

I don't have the mini 0801 yet....

I plan to mount it behind the rearview mirror, but it just occurred to me that my rearview mirror is not black.
It's beige, like the rest of the dashboard and interior. If I mount the black mini 0801 there, it will be very
noticeable, no? Does anyone here have non-black rearview mirrors? If so, could you post a picture of what
the 0801 looks like against a non-black(grey, beigh) rearview mirror?

I can't help you with a picture, but you could consider painting your mirror back black, or finding a replacement in a junkyard that is darker.

HF

Best to paint the back of the mirror black i would think.

Using the rearview mirror doesn't seem like a good idea the camera mount cannot be swiveled left and right and once you move the mirror it might not be pointing center.

PS The black double stick tape I bought from dx.com seems to come off the smooth surface of the GPS mount. I added a couple drops of superglue (mount side) and it's holding strong

Using the rearview mirror doesn't seem like a good idea the camera mount cannot be swiveled left and right and once you move the mirror it might not be pointing center.

no, I'm planning to mount it on the windshield. On my car, there's ample space between the windshield glass and the back of the rearview mirror.
I just hope the 0801 doesn't stand out against the beige mirror.

1-3 minutes if it hasn't been used all day. (Usually 2 blocks from my garage)

is it normal for a dash cam to take 1 to 3 minutes for a GPS lock?

I did a test just now. Took out my spare Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone that has been sitting in the closet for the last few months. I powered it on and it got a GPS lock within 7 seconds.(according to GPS Test app) I know it's not fair to compare smartphone to dash cams... but 1 to 3 minutes seems really long to me.... (unless this is the norm for dash cams :) )

How much did you guys pay for the 0801? Is it just me has the price been going higher and higher? The cheapest unit with GPS is now more than $110 to $113 from all three Chinese sellers. :( I could swear I saw them for $90-ish just a week ago. :(

Phones are generally faster at getting a gps lock because they can also triangulate their position from cell towers.

My TomTom, if I haven't used it in a while takes about 1-2 minutes to get a lock.

I've spent quite a few hours today testing a few microSD cards, which I bought from Amazon, I'm still awaiting my 2 camera's to arrive, but thought I would run a test on a 32gb Transend class 10 which finally arrived today. I used a PC utility called H2TESTW.EXE which I'm sure most of you will be familiar with, as it checks your card thoroughly, you can also tell if it's a fake low memory ripoff version.

I was rather surprised to find that it came up with some verify read errors about halfway through the card, basically it writes to all memory locations and then verifies it by reading it back as it works its way though the card a sector at a time. As a result I decided to do the same tests on 3 brandnew Samsung 32gb class 6 cards I also have. I ran the test (which takes about 1 hr for each card) on all 3 and they all passed okay.

I then did a total reformat on the new 32gb Transend card that had failed, thinking it might map out any bad sectors, but when I ran through the H2TESTW.EXE utility it failed again in roughly the same place, so I'll be returning this card back to Amazon and swapping for a class 4 or 6 card.

After doing some extensive reading on the https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/speed_class/ site, where it explains that class 2, 4 and 6 cards use a standard speed bus, but the class 10 and the newer classification UHS-1 uses a far higher bus speed, with the new UHS-2 being even higher still, but these later cards can only give higher speeds in devices that support class 10 and the UHS specs.
Which basically helps to explain why the higher speed cards are less reliable in some devices.

It also states that class 4 & 6 does support HD video which we already know, but I definately think that users of this Mini 0801 camera would be well advised to stick to Class-4 or Class-6 cards, as it sounds like the camera does not support the higher bus speeds of the faster cards and it's this thats causing the issues even though they are supposed to be backwards compatible.

Okay nothing that we don't already know...lol but on reading the articals on that site makes one understand better why we sometimes have issues with the so called faster cards on some devices.

IOW.... STICK WITH CLASS-4 or CLASS-6 which use the standard bus speed and all should be well.

Phones are generally faster at getting a gps lock because they can also triangulate their position from cell towers.

My TomTom, if I haven't used it in a while takes about 1-2 minutes to get a lock.

Smart Phones use WiFi signals too for further instant triangulation.

I'm totally happy with the GPS on the 0801. I'm still going strong on the 4GB Class 4 test card I'm using. My new 32GB Class 4 card arrives tomorrow.

I have a 4-year-old Garmin unit and it never takes more than 17 to 19 seconds before I get all green on the GPS signals. I rarely use it because my car has factory navigation and I also use my Galaxy Note 2 phone for Google Maps navigation. I bring the Garmin with me when I travel and rent cars at airports. It's cheaper to forget the Garmin(only $90 when I bought it) in a rental. Forgetting my Galaxy Note 2 in a rental car will cost me several hundred dollars, not to mention the inconvenience of losing a phone.

Well if 1-3 minutes for satellite lock isn't fast enough for you, then the 0801 ins't the DashCam for you. I don't have a problem with it, and there is no way to speed it up. Once it has a lock it seems to be really fast all day on/off

Well if 1-3 minutes for satellite lock isn't fast enough for you, then the 0801 ins't the DashCam for you. I don't have a problem with it, and there is no way to speed it up.

I'm 97% sure I'm ordering the 0801. :) The GPS function is just a bonus.

I'm just wondering if 1 to 3 minutes for a GPS signal lock is normal for dash cams with GPS in this price range?

The lock is faster if it's had a lock in the last few hours. It must Cache the data or something. The GPS signal is encrypted old Military technology released for public use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back