Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

The class 4 4gb was fine for ages, maybe just a big card thing?

So I ran a test last night. I left the camera recording all night. It started off with about 4 gigs free on the Sony Class 10 card. Recorded 7:12hrs without a glitch.

Woke up this morning and it was still recording without any issues:
SLHrV1X.png

But this morning on my way to work I got the following issue. Shortly after I got into the car the recording stopped you can see from the gray sections from the timeline.
Why I have no idea. Before I started to move I looked and looked like it was recording and noticed shortly after it stopped.

Qb0bmpv.png

PS: those speeds are Km/h not MPH.... lol Don't think I was doing the Indy 500...

The class 4 4gb was fine for ages, maybe just a big card thing?

Have you run a card test on a PC?

There are lots of fake Sandisk cards out there...... even from reputable shops like Costco. I purchased a Sandisk CompactFlash 8GB card from the local Costco warehouse a couple of years ago. The card stayed inside my DSLR and then died after about 3 months later.

At the time, I moved to a different city that had no Costco, so I ended up mailing the card back to Sandisk(USA) for replacement. A week later, I got a phone call from them that it was a counterfeit/fake Sandisk card. Imagine how shocked I was. :(

I told them that I bought it from Costco. They told me to take it back to Costco. I explained that the nearest Costco was 4 and half hours away. A supervisor asked me to email her the Costco receipt. The next day, they called me back and told me a new replacement card was shipped to me as a goodwill gesture. :)

Right, got back in the car after going home from lunch, it started to record fine with no intervention, maybe it just tripped up for whatever reason, but still annoying it can't be relied upon 100% yet!

Have you run a card test on a PC?

There are lots of fake Sandisk cards out there...... even from reputable shops like Costco. I purchased a Sandisk CompactFlash 8GB card from the local Costco warehouse a couple of years ago. The card stayed inside my DSLR and then died after about 3 months later.

At the time, I moved to a different city that had no Costco, so I ended up mailing the card back to Sandisk(USA) for replacement. A week later, I got a phone call from them that it was a counterfeit/fake Sandisk card. Imagine how shocked I was. :(

I told them that I bought it from Costco. They told me to take it back to Costco. I explained that the nearest Costco was 4 and half hours away. A supervisor asked me to email her the Costco receipt. The next day, they called me back and told me a new replacement card was shipped to me as a goodwill gesture. :)
Yeah I have, it comes back fine.

This is one of the raw 1080p video samples from the Mio 356, which was just reviewed
by TechMoan:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9jzwxdpru1h1e0e/2J4McyEDCI/DAY 1080P.mov

Can anyone tell me if the Mini 0801's video quality looks like that?(or better?)

I just placed an order for my first dash cam, the 0801.... form factor is very important
to me... but I'm just wondering if it's can produce video quality like the one above?

Thanks! :)

Yeah I have, it comes back fine.

What card was it? Sandisk?

It's only 4:40AM(edit 6:40AM... oh no) here, so I'm too sleeping to look up you prior posts. :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah a Sandisk 32Gb Class 4

oh great... I just ordered my 0801... now I don't know what 32GB card I should order...

I guess I'll just start with the 16GB Sandisk Class 4 card that's in my spare phone right now.

So I ran a test last night. I left the camera recording all night. It started off with about 4 gigs free on the Sony Class 10 card. Recorded 7:12hrs without a glitch.

Woke up this morning and it was still recording without any issues:
SLHrV1X.png

But this morning on my way to work I got the following issue. Shortly after I got into the car the recording stopped you can see from the gray sections from the timeline.
Why I have no idea. Before I started to move I looked and looked like it was recording and noticed shortly after it stopped.

Qb0bmpv.png

PS: those speeds are Km/h not MPH.... lol Don't think I was doing the Indy 500...

Looks like it stopped recording at exactly the 1 minute mark which is the same problem I've had consistently with mine (with a full 16gb class 10 card).

I'm going to try changing to 5 minute files now, It's bizzare it carried on after a reboot, I normally had to format the card before it would do anything.

Looks like it stopped recording at exactly the 1 minute mark which is the same problem I've had consistently with mine (with a full 16gb class 10 card).

I thought Class 10 cars were not recommended?

I pulled out the 16GB Sandisk MicroSD card in my spare phone...
It doesn't even have any class marking. Not sure if it's Class 4 or
possibly even slower? Card was made by Samsung card, but
originally came inside the phone from the phone manufacturer
Sure hope it works with the 0801 once it arrives.

They aren't.. But I ended up buying the card BEFORE I got my cam.. Which I didn't realize they recommended 4/6... I will try to get another one this weekend.

I thought Class 10 cars were not recommended?

I pulled out the 16GB Sandisk MicroSD card in my spare phone...
It doesn't even have any class marking. Not sure if it's Class 4 or
possibly even slower? Card was made by Samsung card, but
originally came inside the phone from the phone manufacturer
Sure hope it works with the 0801 once it arrives.

Which USB port do you plug the USB cable into? The one on the bracket or the one on the 0801 itself? Does it make any difference?

Where is the best place to buy one of these for delivery to the UK?

Am looking to get the GPS version without internal storage...

Ebay / Chinese importer
Amazon / Chinese importer
JooVuu / European importer

Where is the best place to buy one of these for delivery to the UK?

Am looking to get the GPS version without internal storage...

Ebay / Chinese importer
Amazon / Chinese importer
JooVuu / European importer
I purchased mine via Aliexpress by the seller Givoe, very reputable on here, was here in a couple of days via DHL, cost of shipping was an extra $16 via DHL but worth it to get it sooner.

I think quite a few of us purchased class 10 cards so we had them ready for when our camera ariived, thinking they would be better.. I ordered 2 32gb class10 cards myself, ah well..now we know better..lol

Well I'm pleased to report that one of my camera's arrived this morning, together with a 3m right angled mini usb cable I'd ordered for it.

It's still early days yet, but first impressions are fairly good, picture quality looks very good considering it's small size, much better than I thought it would be, sound too seems fine to me.
I have however spotted 5 tiny dust spot on the ccd, which gives a white dot in some scenes indoors, but it's not something I've paid big money for, but if it had been say my 3-ccd Panasonic camcorder I certainly would'nt have been happy. ;-) tho even expensive camera's suffer from dust on the ccd occasionally, as I've bought both Canon and Nikon DSLR's in the past which had minor dust on their ccd sensors.

Firmware on this first one from ePrance is version 20130913, BTW it looks like ePrance may have someone in Portsmouth, UK who dispatch the items for them in the UK.

It seems to take about 2 to 3 mins for the GPS icon to go off the screen indicating it's got a signal, so considering it's inside that is not too bad IMO, sometimes however it can take a while, but bear in mind I am inside.
I did have one worrying moment when it seemed to lockup when I plugged in a USB cable to my PC, and nothing seemed to fix it, as I could not see a reset hole and thought I would have to wait until the battery exhausted itself, but after holding down the power on button for some time it then reset, and it's been okay since.. I'm not sure what caused it... but I'll switch to my class 6 card and see how it goes.
So I'me not sure whether it may be the firmware version or that Transend class 10 card, also in hindsight I'm also wondering whether one may be better off not having the GPS as other than the novelty factor it just complicates things further.... time will tell. :)

Last edited:
don't know if it's mentioned in the manual and you stumbled across it anyway but the power switch doubles up as the reset switch on this model, just press and hold

Well I'm pleased to report that one of my camera's arrived this morning, together with a 3m right angled mini usb cable I'd ordered for it.

which 3M mini-USB cable did you order?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back