DVR207 No Loop Recording

TheAzn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys,

I am a new member on here but I have read most of the reviews to find out which dashcam are the best at a fairly low price.

I have a DVR207 which I bought in the middle of October. It is a fantastic dashcam. Easy to work with, video/ picture quality is more than good enough to show who's at fault, sound is great but it's not needed (do you need the sound of crunching plastic and metal to go along with the video?), overall it is excellent.

However, I encountered one issue with it. Nothing bad to a point where it cannot be used... Loop recording doesn't work. There's no option for it in the menus. Definately not a memory card issue. What happens is that the recording icon will not be shown on the screen nor will the blue record button blink. If you are catching this symptom early like say while it's on and you're driving, you'll see the time freeze up and start running again for maybe a few times. Then the screen goes black. You'll have to remove the battery/ disconnect the power to reboot it. Once it comes on, there's a few seconds before it starts the automatic recording. If you let it try to record again, it'll do the same thing (black screen) until the memory card is formatted. The few seconds before the automatic record is enough time for you to press mode three times to go into the memory card library, hit menu and then format. When you hit menu or mode, you'll be getting out of the video mode to it stops the recording from happening until you go back into video mode.

To resolve this issue, I basically re-formatted the memory card using the DVR207's own formatting function. Now it is recording automatically again on start-ups.

If there is a loop option, I sure can't find it... Or if the DVR207 has to be set within a parameter (video size, IR, etc) for sure the manual doesn't say **** there.

My DVR207 has 1308080 firmware. I have a PNY 32GB Class 10 SD card.

I may buy another down the road so I can actually have loop recording hopefully. Before this, I was using my GoPro2. Worked fine but I didn't want to put a hole in the waterproof case to run power, battery lasted only up to 2 hours, required manual deleting and the video will be one looooooooong ass video versus multiples of x minute videos.

I had one dashcam before which looks like it's still available. But it may have been a fake. It lasted for a day or two and wouldn't do jack **** thereafter. This was maybe 2009. Unfortunately, all these dashcams are seemingly still coming out of the slums of China or something. I was hoping there would be an actual company with good reviews making dashcams by now... up until I received my DVR207 and found no brand on it. For ****s and giggles, when I went to Thailand when I was 13 (I'm Thai if it matters), I remember seeing fake/ copy games for sale at malls which I wasn't that much surprise... But I saw a Playstation copy! The console. For some reason, buying these dashcams makes me feel no different than if I had bought that fake Playstation console.

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome to the forum.

If there is a loop option, I sure can't find it... Or if the DVR207 has to be set within a parameter (video size, IR, etc) for sure the manual doesn't say **** there.

From your comment, I'm guessing you haven't used the recommended settings mentioned in the DVR-XX7 FAQ. Try visiting the FAQ and using the settings mentioned in the first post.

The camera's manual (available in the review) in the second page, section "Setting the functions" mentions option number 6 as "Recording time". This option has to be set to either 2, 5 or 10 minutes for loop recording to work. If this option is set to off, loop recording doesn't work. This is also specified in the third page, section "Preview on the HDTV", note number 3. Try verifying that you have this option set to 5 minutes (recommended setting).

I may buy another down the road so I can actually have loop recording hopefully.

If you're planning on getting another camera, the DVR-XX7 recently god demoted by newer models. Right now, in a similar price range, you can get a G1W which is way better in terms of video quality (even more if you do night driving). Check the updated dashcam comparison for your best choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The settings on it are right. 5 minute video intervals.

Well, it seems you bought the camera recently enough to try to send it back on RMA to the seller. From the problems you describe it sounds like you got a dud. Try asking the seller for an exchange or, preferably, a refund. If you're able to get a refund, I'd invest the money on a G1W instead.

Back