Mobius mounting solutions

Hi All, just installed Mobius into wives car and thought I would share, took off the cover behind the mirror which covers the sensors, aligned and marked how I wanted it to sit and drilled a hole, fitted the screw part off the mount after grinding it off and the result was a nice clean fit which you can put on and take off easily, the screw part stays on and is fairly solid.

WP_000786.jpg WP_000792.jpg

Nice, simple and clean looking install :)

Hi All, just installed Mobius into wives car and thought I would share.

Looks very neat indeed. How about adjusting the aim? Left / right look ok. But up / down? Compensating for road camber, etc to get the horizon level?

You need to make sure that it's fairly level before you drill but what I did was pressed the drill left and right to make the hole a bit wider so if I needed to tilt up or down I could, to a point,

You can actually tighten the screw part with the round bolt which comes with it, when you have the desired level.

WP_000802.jpg

There are some nice ideas here. I just ordered a Mobius and starting to project an holder.
Are the heatsink iron or alluminium? I'll leaning towards a magnetic mount system.

You can't use a magnet.

The heatsink is aluminum. In fact most heatsinks are made of aluminum.

Here's my mount for the mobius. I will be switching to a black 3M dual lock solution come summer time.

Photo_12_27_2013_11_19_36_AM.jpg

Photo_12_27_2013_11_20_02_AM.jpg

Photo_12_27_2013_11_22_24_AM.jpg

Photo_12_27_2013_11_22_52_AM.jpg

Here's my mount for the mobius. I will be switching to a black 3M dual lock solution come summer time.
How is the camera video? Any chance of uploading video? It sort of looks like it would be pointing downward and not the best angle

I agree that black Velcro would look better

How is the camera video? Any chance of uploading video? It sort of looks like it would be pointing downward and not the best angle

I agree that black Velcro would look better

Yeah, it's pointing somewhat downwards and about half the video is my trunk. but it's not that bad. I'll have to live with it as I despise any bulky mounting solution that may obstruct my rear view .

I know a couple friends who have done the same, but were able to achieve a better angle. I guess it depends your car's rear windshield...

Or for a better angle you could simply put it down on the rear panel. If a trunk is not opening together with rear window.

Yeah, it's pointing somewhat downwards and about half the video is my trunk. but it's not that bad. I'll have to live with it as I despise any bulky mounting solution that may obstruct my rear view .

I know a couple friends who have done the same, but were able to achieve a better angle. I guess it depends your car's rear windshield...
Thanks for the video footage. I am a visual person so it really helps. You had me scared with the drifting! lol You are good at it.

One more question if you don't mind. I did ask someone else this here and I wanted to know if you do the same thing. How long is the USB cable for the rear view camera and where is it hooked up to? I thought I read somewhere that after a certain number of feet/yards, there will be a data lose/compromise from the camera to the longer USB cables. But that does not seem the case with yours.

Thanks again for your help!

monty

Last edited:
I fabbed up a small piece of acrylic to sit on the rear hatch sill of my WRX along with wiring in a USB power socket. Pretty good results considering the 35% window tint (benefit is that the camera isn't visible from outside). I use a X100FHD attached to the front windshield.

mobius_mount2.jpg

Attachments

• mobius_mount.jpg
    mobius_mount.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 233
  • mobius_wrx.jpg
    mobius_wrx.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Very nice - particularly the bulk head mounted USB socket on the panel.

Thanks for the video footage. I am a visual person so it really helps. You had me scared with the drifting! lol You are good at it.

One more question if you don't mind. I did ask someone else this here and I wanted to know if you do the same thing. How long is the USB cable for the rear view camera and where is it hooked up to? I thought I read somewhere that after a certain number of feet/yards, there will be a data lose/compromise from the camera to the longer USB cables. But that does not seem the case with yours.

Thanks again for your help!

monty

I don't have any of my cams hardwired atm. I use the official 3 meter cable, which: routes up along the roof liner, toward the drivers side, down the C pillar, under the rear seats and into a 12V outlet. Completed concealed except for maybe a few inches of cable at both ends. Total cost for me was about $80CAD.

Screen_Shot_2013_12_27_at_6_11_25_PM.png

Hi, As long as the camera gets roughly +5v d.c. there are no restrictions on the length of the cable. In theory, the fact that it's got USB connectors on either end implies that the internal wire diameter will be relatively small in gauge, and this is what will ultimately limit the length of cable you will be able to use. For practical purposes, I would think at 3m cable would work fine (YMMV). The alternative is to do as I did; install a 5v regulator with USB female connector near the location that you plan to mount the camera; then you can use a short, standard USB cable to reduce clutter and assure you're very close to +5v. Hopefully this makes sense.

Yes, hard wiring is definitely better. Plus you get rid of all the cigarette lighter power supplies and cables out of the way.

There's been a few discussions in the past regarding the same issues- and the differing qualities of USB leads reportedly can cause voltage drops. I'm using hard wired power supplies with 3m cables and short right angle adaptors on the end of them- with no problems at all for three Mobius. For the rear mounted camera the power supply is hidden behind a trim panel next to the rear seat, the front cameras have the power supplies under the dash board.

My simple install.
I had to install it a little below the mirror, which works out perfect because I can see the light and knows it's filming. I also had to install a 3 plug cigarette lighter extension because of my Satellite radio, which is a must for me here in Mexico. Im ordering an upangle USB extension as per @Gurkha9 to clean up the wire a bit
Light.jpg

Attachments

• Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 415
  • Mobius.jpg
    Mobius.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 441
  • Power.jpg
    Power.jpg
    811.8 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
The up angle adapter will make for a neater finish for sure :)

Any ideas how to mount it to a motorcycle helmet? Specifically the exo500.

Back