Shadow GT680W

Had checked on that. The cam receiving power and battery is healthy. Just don't understand why it'll shut off by itself. Contacting Foxoffer and hopefully they had a solution. Hate to ship back defective items as it's very troublesome and waste of time.

Sorry to hear that. It would have been a lot easier if it was just an innocent oversight rather than a defective camera. It is unfortunate that the quality control of many of these cameras is so poor. Foxoffer claims to test each camera before shipping but I'm not so sure as I once received a defective camera from them too and it seems like we hear that a lot on this forum. The good part is that Foxoffer is an honorable seller and they will make an effort to resolve the problem.

Last edited:
I would believe that they get powered up and a quick check before sending, standard practice in China, if you buy something like a $5 kettle in a department store you wait while they unpack it put water in it and boil it and they show you it working before you leave, you buy a major appliance they deliver it, unpack and make you see it working before they go

I was at the office of a major Taobao seller yesterday and the staff were doing the same thing, unpack, check repack before sending and they were $10 items

I would believe that they get powered up and a quick check before sending, standard practice in China, if you buy something like a $5 kettle in a department store you wait while they unpack it put water in it and boil it and they show you it working before you leave, you buy a major appliance they deliver it, unpack and make you see it working before they go

I was at the office of a major Taobao seller yesterday and the staff were doing the same thing, unpack, check repack before sending and they were $10 items

It is interesting to hear of this practice in China. We could probably use more of that sort of thing here in the US.

I questioned Foxoffer's testing of my camera because in my case I received a GT300W that had such a blurry image that it was unusable. It would have been difficult for anyone powering it up not to notice this on the screen, assuming they were paying attention. After some emails back and forth with Foxoffer along with some screenshots, they said to send it back. Of course, I really didn't want to have to do that so I took the chance that it was just an out of focus lens and so I opened up the unit, refocused the lens and all was well. When I wrote to Foxoffer and told them what I did (along with some new sharp screenshots) they graciously offered me a discount on a future purchase.

You know, anyone reading through this forum would have to agree that quality control is a real issue with many of these modestly priced dash cams coming out of Chinese factories. This is not Foxoffer's fault and I am sure it is an ongoing problem for them as much as it can be for their customers. They do the best they can and they make an effort to stand behind what they sell. They were very prompt about responding to me and I will continue to be a customer in the future. In fact, I used the discount they offered me to buy another camera. (a GT680W-GPS :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
This is some of my finding after testing last night.

I realise that the area around the flash light gets very hot after awhile.

Cold at 1080p - recorders for about 5mins than shut off
Hot at 1080p - recorders for 1min
Hot at 720p - recorders for 3mins
Hot and not recording - 5mins
On battery power it lasted for 2mins of recording before battery flat.

To summaries it, the cam get hot and it'll shut down. But the diference between recording and not recording is also a effecting the cam.

Is it a hardware defective or firmware problem (v2.6)?

I had uploaded the video at

I agreed that manufacturer and retailer will check the product before mailing but I believe the test is not sufficient. For my case, everything works fine which indicate it has been tested. But something important from the test is missing which is the battery test and testing the product for longer prior. Both of this test takes time which I believe they are lazy to test with.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the latest firmware v2.7 version, is only can be used for the full black version, don't use it for silver gt680w.

About the latest firmware v2.7 version, is only can be used for the full black version, don't use it for silver gt680w.
So they are different then, good to know and thanks for sharing, this question was asked a few days ago

The recently posted FAQ on this cam should be updated as well.

@Rayng
Sorry to hear the problem, first please try to upgrade the firmware, the latest version is 2.7, you can download it from below link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/firmware/gt680w/Shadow_GT680W_full_black_v2.7G_FW.zip
Also if you have other memory card in hand, you can also have a try with other card.

Thank you, I'll give it a try to see if it'll solve the problem.

Just another question, does the battery area gets hot after using with power plug in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys...I have updated the FAQ with the new black firmware.

I had updated to v2.7 but the problem is still happening. It'll just shut off without warning. But one thing I realize is that will not shut off if I'm not recording.

Any solution? Or does this mean I'll had to ship back?

Some further result from testing.

The cam shut down suddenly when recording. If left to idle or in play back, cam will not shut off. Seems like something went wrong when recording only. I tried different card but still happen.

Anyway the battery area gets real hot

Are you doing all your testing in car using the supplied adapter or elsewhere using another adapter?

Foxoffer has released a new version of the all black GT680W with no logos or printing on it.....(and the price has come down a little too). Glad to see that this idea finally catching on.
The firmware boots up with the SeeZeus logo anyway and the company name and product model number is embedded in every video so plastering logos on the front isn't really necessary to promote the brand. Maybe they are finally figuring this out and see the wisdom of stealthy dash cams. Hope it's a trend.

Wonderful now all that's left is to put a capacitor in it!

It will fit only 3-4ml thick tablet-type capacitorif judge by battery "thickness".

Made pictures of battery and re-measured:

Battery size is approx: 20 x 20 x 2.5mm

Battery.jpg

Hi, I upgrade my software in my black edition camera from 2.6 to 2.7 and after upgrade, camera turn on but later turned off and now will not react to the buttons.
I tried re-upload the software but nothing happens. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Back