Shadow GT680W

Here: I saw FW v3.5
This version is for sell in China local market, only support English and Chinese language, no special feature.

It will fit only 3-4ml thick tablet-type capacitorif judge by battery "thickness".
Shadow told me it can not use capacitor for this camera due to small size.

Shadow told me it can not use capacitor for this camera due to small size.

Yes, within 3-4mm thickness tablet-type capacitors will be too weak for gt680w.

I know it might look ugly, but I guess some of us DIYers could come up with a reasonable solution that would mount the capacitors on the outside of the case. (maybe along the bottom, perhaps in a plastic tube) With a little black paint or some plasti-dip it might not even look too bad. Sometimes, functionality trumps appearance.

Last edited:
I would appreciate if GT680W owners could answer the following questions about camera operation:
1. Does it always set time from GPS? For example you configure wrong time (but correct timezone) and camera will set the correct time (on next boot or so).
2. Asking obvious but just to confirm: can it provide autonomous operation with the following settings: loop={x}mins, motion detection=off. DVR is always plugged in, you start the car - recording starts, you stop the car - it shutdowns. Hassle free operation.
3. How quickly you can get LCD automatically turned off after recording starts on DVR power on?
4. Is there any requirement stated in the user manual regarding micro sd card speed?
5. Can't find user manual online..

I would appreciate if GT680W owners could answer the following questions about camera operation:
1. Does it always set time from GPS? For example you configure wrong time (but correct timezone) and camera will set the correct time (on next boot or so).
2. Asking obvious but just to confirm: can it provide autonomous operation with the following settings: loop={x}mins, motion detection=off. DVR is always plugged in, you start the car - recording starts, you stop the car - it shutdowns. Hassle free operation.
3. How quickly you can get LCD automatically turned off after recording starts on DVR power on?
4. Is there any requirement stated in the user manual regarding micro sd card speed?
5. Can't find user manual online..
Sure vendor and owner here..
GPS does not set date/time
Loop is how many minutes each file eg. loop 3mins... File will be in 3 min long segments
Auto record and shutdown depends solely on your cars 12v power adapter..some are on all the time = camera on all the time, others turn on/off with keyed power.
Card speed should be class6 or above we use class 10.
User manual is not needed.. Super easy user interface!

Thanks for the answer.
Is it possible to have lcd auto turn off after 1 minute or so?

GPS does not set date/time

That's so unfortunate.. Having GPS as accurate time provider it's absurd to set time manually and leave possibility to have inaccurate timestamp in videos. Another reason is small 110mah battery and no dedicated rtc backup battery. Somebody needs to fire their software architect.
I will probably hold back on buying this dvr.

That's so unfortunate.. Having GPS as accurate time provider it's absurd to set time manually and leave possibility to have inaccurate timestamp in videos. Another reason is small 110mah battery and no dedicated rtc backup battery. Somebody needs to fire their software architect.

I don't see that as a problem. I personally think only relying on GPS to set time and date is even more absurd. What happen when you are in a poor GPS signal area which takes 2-3 minutes to lock on a signal? That means your first clip will have no time or date stamp on it. Any software architect who design the time and date can only set by GPS and no manual setting, should be shot.

we do time and time zone from GPS, we still have a manual setting but really it's not needed, even if you set the time it will update as per the GPS once you get signal, we have an RTC battery so the time would stay set, the Novatek platform is quite limited in some respects so even though I might not agree with their hardware decisions there are limits to what is achievable on that platform anyway I think

efoo,
Just try to read it again - keeping accurate time. GPS corrects hardware clock skew in such devices and skew differs from board to board. It could be from 0.1 second up to a minute per day. DVR normally does not loose time unless it's tiny battery runs out of juice.
Every device that has GPS has advantage of it keeping time accurate all the time. I don't have problem if first clip 1-3minutes is without timestamp in case battery was dead, you can set it manually if not too lazy or wait. But keeping accurate time in long term is what I'm expecting from GPS enabled device.

we do time and time zone from GPS, we still have a manual setting but really it's not needed, even if you set the time it will update as per the GPS once you get signal, we have an RTC battery so the time would stay set, the Novatek platform is quite limited in some respects so even though I might not agree with their hardware decisions there are limits to what is achievable on that platform anyway I think

jokiin, are you talking about GT680W? It has RTC battery as well as internal 110mah battery?
Getting timezone from the database using GPS coordinates is nice feature!

Thanks for the answer.

I have the GT680W without GPS and it always keeps the time. I leave my camera in the car even at -15C and it still keeps the time. It is a great device and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

I have the GT680W without GPS and it always keeps the time. I leave my camera in the car even at -15C and it still keeps the time. It is a great device and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.
Agreed...great camera and sells very well!

Hi,
I'm using sshadow GT680W. This device using the HDMI port, can transfer images to a monitor?

Yes but you will need an AC to 12V adaptor as the battery will only last about a couple of minutes
Thanks for the reply. So we try will work in the car.
I wonder if both during recording and when not recording Does the image convey?

Thanks for the reply. So we try will work in the car.
I wonder if both during recording and when not recording Does the image convey?
Not 100% sure but I think it does!

Back