Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

I have been reading this topic for days now but only just registered here as i recieved my cam. If it's any help i can upload raw clip somewhere so you can check whatever need to be checked :) or give any info that is needed. Just point me in the right direction.

I'd like to check out a raw sample sure. Sign up for a free http://dropbox.com account.
Once it's setup, place a file in the shared folder. You can then right click on the file and select share dropbox link. Paste that link here.

If your camera is truly mixed mono (both speakers), and you can confirm the camera doesn't stop recording or shut down once it's full (in recycle mode) I might order a new one from joovuu. (he must have a different supplier?) I'd like to be certain though only after waiting for you to do more extensive testing.

I'd like to check out a raw sample sure. Sign up for a free http://dropbox.com account.
Once it's setup, place a file in the shared folder. You can then right click on the file and select share dropbox link. Paste that link here.

If your camera is truly mixed mono (both speakers), and you can confirm the camera doesn't stop recording or shut down once it's full (in recycle mode) I might order a new one from joovuu. (he must have a different supplier?) I'd like to be certain though only after waiting for you to do more extensive testing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/re5bfhm8awlu52d/AMBA0017.MOV
its 140mb, if its too big i have 10 sec video that i could upload. Notice that the video is of me trying to position the camera in the car. If you need driving one i'm gonna have to make one first.
In regards to testing full memory card, should that be checked while driving or can be plugged in to my laptop and left for recording?Also how will i know it doesn't recycle properly? what to look for? Will it just switch off itself?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/re5bfhm8awlu52d/AMBA0017.MOV
its 140mb, if its too big i have 10 sec video that i could upload. Notice that the video is of me trying to position the camera in the car. If you need driving one i'm gonna have to make one first.
In regards to testing full memory card, should that be checked while driving or can be plugged in to my laptop and left for recording?Also how will i know it doesn't recycle properly? what to look for? Will it just switch off itself?

140MB is fine, downloaded in seconds.
I just put headphones on, I only hear you speaking out of the left speaker. (so yours isn't special I'm afraid)

It looks like firmware 20130913 records at 17Mbps.

http://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

32GB = 4.3 hours
16GB = 2.1 hours
8GG = 1.1 hours

So basically all you need to do is record for at least that long and it will start to automatically delete the oldest file once the card is full. If you look you'll notice that you no longer haveAMBA0001.MOV You might have a file that starts with AMBA0301.MOV (example)

If you have the problem you'll see "storage error" or "low speed card" and it will shut down after a few minutes. Look to make sure the light is blinking (still recording) and or listen for the shut down beep noises

You will see a big improvement in quality once the weather picks up a bit, Your bit rate is approx 17mbps It's likely your's and mine are basically the same, like mine your's too only plays through the left speaker, though its easily fixed on the PC, but much better if they can just mix them so it outputs on both channels even if it is mono.

Unfortunately, though the Video quality is great and it's pretty stable too, sadly this one is being returned as the UP button has never worked properly since it came on Tuesday..., so I cant change settings or mute mic ect. I bought mine through Amazon, market place, so should get another sent out from the Uk again hopefully... just my luck...lol.

I just put headphones on, I only hear you speaking out of the left speaker. (so yours isn't special I'm afraid)

32GB = 4.3 hours
16GB = 2.1 hours
8GG = 1.1 hours

So basically all you need to do is record for at least that long and it will start to automatically delete the oldest file once the card is full. If you look you'll notice that you no longer haveAMBA0001.MOV You might have a file that starts with AMBA0301.MOV (example)

If you have the problem you'll see "storage error" or "low speed card" and it will shut down after a few minutes. Look to make sure the light is blinking (still recording) and or listen for the shut down beep noises

I see what you mean with speaking out of the left speaker.
I'm going to update on the memory card issue tomorrow.

32GB = 4.3 hours
16GB = 2.1 hours
8GG = 1.1 hours

I played the video in "Media Player Classic" and it automatically sent the mono audio to both left and right channels. (with an audiobook codec plug-in) VLC Player can also do the same, feed mono audio to both channels during playback.

Is it really necessary to set a car dash cam to record at 17mbps? I have a Canon HD camcorder that I use for work(the thing weight 5 pounds, not including the interchangeable lenses which add another 3 pounds). I rarely set it to more than 1080p @ 12mbps.(we only shoot aviation videos) :)

Last edited:
I'd prefer my dashcam records at a minimum of 12Mbps, but don't mind >15Mbps as long as new camera's support 64GB. (I'll make do with 32GB for now and have a spare internal card to fall back on) The key is having great detail so you can read license plates of cars easier. I also like to keep "fun" videos of me giving someone a tour of San Francisco etc. (so the higher quality the better)

Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried a 64GB card on the Mini 0801?

A few other members have successfully formatted a Samsung Micro SDXC Pro 64GB Class 10 Card to work with other cameras such as the G1W.
new FAQ: http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/ (wow only $52 USD too! on the eBay store estore009)
You will need to use the Guiformat tool to format the card in FAT32. (would be interested in knowing if it works or not)
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

I wonder if manually formatting our cards and picking a different cluster size is beneficial for stability.

I formated my sd card with windows and default cluster size. I ended up with an new error message when recycling. "Format is not optimum" or something similar can't rememeber. Then the cam proposed to format the card.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried a 64GB card on the Mini 0801?

I recently bought a 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro MicroSDXC card($97, sold & shipped directly by Amazon) This card is extremely fast. On the write tests that I ran, it averaged about 56MB/s. On read tests, it's always above 85MB/s. Unfortunately, only one of my phones can use it.

Those results are almost TWICE as fast as my "regular" 64GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSDXC card($39 from Best Buy last year)

On a dash cam? I think it may be an overkill... but I'll give it a try once I get my 0801. :D

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have received one of these cameras from GIVOE around a week ago.
The version I have is a basic camera,
NO built in storage,
NO GPS,
I am using a Class 10, 32 GB Micro SD card.
File format being used is .MOV

Firmware version is: 20130902

I am wondering if anyone can clarify on the following.

I have set the camera to record 3min clips, at 720p and 1080P, however when you check the card on the PC and view the files on the camera I can see all the files on the card, but only the first 68 files are recognised, and only these files are able to be played. all these files add up to around 3-4GB
All the other remaing files are UNRECOGNISED.
I am using Quicktime and VLC Media Player to view the files.

I have not observed any messages during file recording.

Can anyone offer any advice on the above?

Also I have set the camera for Motion detect. however I found that when stationary in traffic with no movement ahead the camera stops recording, Blue LED constant not flashing. Upon movement it starts to flash/record.

Is this correct, as if you were to be hit from behind all that would be recorded is you moving forward and possibly hitting the vehicle in front, not that you were stationary and then shunted forward. Has anyone else found this?

Any advise would be welcome.

Regards.
D.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have received one of these cameras from GIVOE around a week ago.
The version I have is a basic camera,
NO built in storage,
NO GPS,
I am using a Class 10, 32 GB Micro SD card.
File format being used is .MOV

Firmware version is: 20130902

I am wondering if anyone can clarify on the following.

I have set the camera to record 3min clips, at 720p and 1080P, however when you check the card on the PC and view the files on the camera I can see all the files on the card, but only the first 68 files are recognised, and only these files are able to be played. all these files add up to around 3-4GB
All the other remaing files are UNRECOGNISED.
I am using Quicktime and VLC Media Player to view the files.

I have not observed any messages during file recording.

Can anyone offer any advice on the above?

Also I have set the camera for Motion detect. however I found that when stationary in traffic with no movement ahead the camera stops recording, Blue LED constant not flashing. Upon movement it starts to flash/record.

Is this correct, as if you were to be hit from behind all that would be recorded is you moving forward and possibly hitting the vehicle in front, not that you were stationary and then shunted forward. Has anyone else found this?

Any advise would be welcome.

Regards.
D.

Welcome.

Are you sure it's 20130902? and not 20130903? (you're the first person to list that firmware)
What do you mean "and" (720p and 1080P) You pick one or the other not both at once? My understanding is 720P will do 60 frames per second, and 1080P will do 30 frames per second but higher resolution. I'd rather have greater resolution/detail than frames per second. I've yet to hear anyone using 720P full time on the mini 0801.

I'm not aware of the unrecognized problem.
Are you reading the card via USB cable for microSD to SD adapter + SD card reader? Windows or Mac?
Try putting RegistratorViewer.exe on the root of the microSD card and see if it loads all videos. (assuming you're on windows)
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
(press F3 for google maps view)

I've also yet to hear of anyone that's actually enabled motion detect on the 0801. I'll admit I've never bothered trying it out myself. (left it disabled)

There are lots of other threads that talk about the advantages of dual camera. I'd ask more about that in the following thread http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....ng-dash-cam-is-essential-wish-i-had-one.2649/
(so we don't blow out the 0801 that's growing to be pretty long here.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it's 20130902? and not 20130903? (you're the first person to list that firmware
Yes that is the correct firmware on my camera, could be as my camera is the NON GPS version?

What do you mean "and" (720p and 1080P) You pick one or the other not both at once? My understanding is 720P will do 60 frames per second, and 1080P will do 30 frames per second but higher resolution. I'd rather have greater resolution/detail than frames per second. I've yet to hear anyone using 720P full time on the mini 0801.

What I meant was, I have tried both 720P and 1080P settings, obviously not at the same time, but to see if it would resolve any issues.

I'm not aware of the unrecognized problem.
Are you reading the card via USB cable for microSD to SD adapter + SD card reader? Windows or Mac?
Try putting RegistratorViewer.exe on the root of the microSD card and see if it loads all videos. (assuming you're on windows)
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
(press F3 for google maps view)

I am reading the card from a MicroSD to USB adaptor. So MicroSD directly into a USB port.

Yes have tried to view files that will not play in Registratorviewer, again still cannot play those files. It appears that I can only record upto approx 3-4GB of files that can be viewed. Will have to get a Lower Class MicroSD card see if that would resolve the issue?

Running windows XP Pro.

Last edited:
Yes that is the correct firmware on my camera, could be as my camera is the NON GPS version?

What I meant was, I have tried both 720P and 1080P settings, obviously not at the same time, but to see if it would resolve any issues.

I am reading the card from a MicroSD to USB adaptor. So MicroSD directly into a USB port.

Running windows XP Pro.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to "test" recording in 720P in recycle mode. (full card) but if it works, it wouldn't help me at all. (might as well just buy a new camera at that point) Stick with 1080P though of course.

If you're connecting the microSD card via USB/SD card adapter (3rd party one, or built into laptop) try connecting the 0801 via mini USB cable instead. (using the 0801 as the interface directly to USB port of computer) Any change? Oh yeah NO GPS, well try registratorviewer anyway too since you're on windows. If you read his page he says XP isn't supported natively, you have to install a 3rd party H264 codec. http://www.registratorviewer.com/features_en.html
I like Shark007, not sure they support XP either though actually.

If you're connecting the microSD card via USB/SD card adapter (3rd party one, or built into laptop) try connecting the 0801 via mini USB cable instead. (using the 0801 as the interface directly to USB port of computer) Any change?

I tried this also, viweing the files with the camera connected directly via USB to the PC, again the same, only the same files could be played, all other files were not recognised.

On a side note does anyone know how to change the boot/shutdown picture? from the car to another image.

On a side note does anyone know how to change the boot/shutdown picture? from the car to another image.

Nobody has hacked the 0801 yet. The price point is so low, the the current GUI options take up all firmware space. (so doubt this feature will ever show up future updates) Yes it could be fun, but the screen is so tiny and shuts off 60 seconds later. (so who cares really) I'd rather the dev's focus on stability and bitrate quality right now.

If the 0801 firmware issues are not sorted soon, I'm ready to jump ship. Jokiin said his new camera will be revealed at the Hong Kong trade show next week.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/dash-cam-comparison-update.2620/page-2#post-28317

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, have you tried viewing the files on the lcd screen? I realise it's going to be nearly impossible to watch - but at least you'll know if they play?

Maybe try formatting the card in the camera & try again?
if that doesn't work, format again and set the clips to 1minute or maybe 5minutes (if that's an option?)

If the 0801 firmware issues are not sorted soon, I'm ready to jump ship. Jokiin said his new camera will be revealed at the Hong Kong trade show next week.

I already ordered a Powerucc Panorama2 a couple days ago so I've already "jumped ship" although I still really want to get the Mini working reliably. I've kinda gotten attached to the stupid thing lol.

If the Mini 0801 didn't exist, which dash cam would you guys buy?

Are threre any other dash cam on the market that can easily be hidden away like the Mini 0801?

If the Mini 0801 didn't exist, which dash cam would you guys buy?

Are threre any other dash cam on the market that can easily be hidden away like the Mini 0801?

Only cam that comes to mind with decent image quality is the Mobius, but that's another type of cam with no screen and no GPS. It makes an 0801 seem large :). But if you value a discreet cam it might work for you. I was ready to jump on the 0801 to replace an old DVR 027 in another car, but FW issues have kept me from buying so far. Powerucc PanoramaII is also very nice but I'm not fond of the super wide angle lens. Still considering it though.
Right now I'm using the Mobius as a front cam only because my GT300W is still not back from China (repair or replacement). I originally bought the Mobius as a rear cam because of it's diminutive size.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, have you tried viewing the files on the lcd screen? I realise it's going to be nearly impossible to watch - but at least you'll know if they play?

Maybe try formatting the card in the camera & try again?
if that doesn't work, format again and set the clips to 1minute or maybe 5minutes (if that's an option?)

Yes, have tried viewing the files from the camera, you can see the files on the screen however the ones which can 't be played have "INVALID" on them.

Have also tried 1/3/5min file sizes, still the same issue.

Also formated the card in the camera numerous times. stillthe same.

Deleting the files that can be viewed doesn't allow the invalid files to be viewed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back