Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

I let Lia at GIVOE know about the new TechMoan review video, and that I was recommending GIVOE as a seller in the comments. I got a response:

"GIVOE Sales: Hi Jon,
Thank you so much for your kindness, we got the new batch 0801 today, and will make video later.
I can't open the youtube on china. anyway, thank you for your information.
Best wishes,
Lia"

Bummer, gotta love that Great Firewall of China damn.

I'm torn between this & the Mobius. I like the idea of a tiny, discreet dash cam that can be permanently left in the car, without attracting the attention of a thieving scumbag who may be tempted to smash a window in order to steal it.

I do, however, wonder whether the Mini & Mobius would survive being left in a parked car on a hot day, or would the electronics be fried?

Think I'll delay my purchase decision until JazJon receives the latest .mov model.

russ331 said:
I'm torn between this & the Mobius. I like the idea of a tiny, discreet dash cam that can be permanently left in the car, without attracting the attention of a thieving scumbag who may be tempted to smash a window in order to steal it.
I do, however, wonder whether the Mini & Mobius would survive being left in a parked car on a hot day, or would the electronics be fried?
Think I'll delay my purchase decision until JazJon receives the latest .mov model.
We've had a couple of extra hot days here in Calgary recently and that multiplied with additional heat generated in the "green house" like car environment, plus the heat from inside the camera from CPU, etc. The camera would still start normally and the videos have not been out of focus, which surprised me a lot.

russ331 said:

I've had the cam in my car over the summer, which has been unusually warm for Britain. 30+ degrees c for about 2 weeks. No problems to report.

The Möbius is more likely to overheat, seeing as it requires that exposed heatsink to keep it cool. With no airflow in a stuffy car, it'll probably shutdown.

jokiin said:
JazJon said:
I'll re-iterate if you want brilliant sound quality on your car cam, then look elsewhere, this one often blows-out"

I think the problem for this cam (aside from the previous problem some users noted) is the actual mic placement being less than ideal more than anything else, sometimes there are compromises that get made when you want to make something as small as possible

I soldered my new mic on with a couple of wires, then cushioned it with some foam to prevent unwanted vibrations blowing out the mic.

irononreverse said:
jokiin said:
JazJon said:
I'll re-iterate if you want brilliant sound quality on your car cam, then look elsewhere, this one often blows-out"

I think the problem for this cam (aside from the previous problem some users noted) is the actual mic placement being less than ideal more than anything else, sometimes there are compromises that get made when you want to make something as small as possible

I soldered my new mic on with a couple of wires, then cushioned it with some foam to prevent unwanted vibrations blowing out the mic.

Can you upload some samples of the new sound recordings you get? Post a link to the mic that worked for you. The gain was cranked down as a fix on the new models, so not sure replacing the mic is an option for newest models. (if we demand crystal clear audio with zero blowouts over bumps)

The NZ site promoted by TechMoan is responding to questions in the youtube comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8
http://offthenet.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=42&tracking=5221a190a9e55

Their latest one said:

"lacrossetechnology 1 hour ago
We got these custom made with our own specs from the manufacture, we ship the same day and usually about 3-5 days delivery to the UK"

so I just asked:

"JazJon 1 second ago
Why does your product page say "Brand: Apple"? That makes no sense. Will you have an updated firmware to record in .MOV instead of .TS? Your specs sheet say it's MOV but the review clearly shows it records in .TS which is not compatible with iPhone or Apple Computers. If so how soon until a firmware update is available?"

NZ site is over $175 with GPS, so over priced ($25 shipping!) but I still want to know if they are overcoming the outstanding .MOV bug or not.

JazJon, I think the NZ Site pricing is in New Zealand Dollars, not US$. Wonder how the custom specs differentiate it from what can be bought cheaper elsewhere?

russ331 said:
JazJon, I think the NZ Site pricing is in New Zealand Dollars, not US$. Wonder how the custom specs differentiate it from what can be bought cheaper elsewhere?

Ask them what's different I guess

russ331 said:

Whoops I mis-calculated. Google says $177.40 New Zealand dollars = $138.55 USD (still the most expensive mini 0801 option out there)

Sub-Total: $154.90.
US Shipping (Weight: 0.50kg): $22.50.
Total: $177.40.

jokiin said:
russ331 said:
Wonder how the custom specs differentiate it from what can be bought cheaper elsewhere?

It sounds like Marketing BS especially since they say "Brand: Apple" and didn't bother updating the .MOV specs

russ331, I saw you asked the spec question on youtube, let's see what they come back with! (facts or bs)

GOOD NEWS! WE HAVE MOV FOLKS! I REPEAT MOV IS IN THE HOUSE!

Here's the RAW H.264 .MOV file so you can cut to the chase:
DVR-Recording-Sample-10s-Full-HD-0801-GPS-Ambarella-OV2710-MOV-In-Room-244-2212.MOV
https://www.dropbox.com/s/siij0ifqdd19i ... 4-2212.MOV

EDIT: I just confirmed the RegistratorViewer Video app works with the new .MOV file. I highlighted a bit of the sample, and RegistratorViewer let me save it as a .MP4 Here is the RAW .MP4 file from that test
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qz6b42o4nx7wj ... 0AM%29.mp4

No Stuck/Dead CMOS pixals!
knMgZ1T.jpg

and as an extra bonus we are now get 11MBps as well! (instead of 10)
T51lPjd.jpg

03:38 Sep 04,2013
Hi Lia,
I have more good news for you. The Site Owner of DashCamTalk.com just added a new FAQ page for the Mini 0801 today!
Hopefully your firewall doesn't block viewing it:
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/
If you can't see it, basically all you need to know is you're listed as the preferred buyer so you should be getting even MORE business now! We're all looking forward to a successful re-launch of the mini 0801 with H.264 MOV
~Jon

GIVOE Sales:
03:44 Sep 04,2013

http://www.givoe.com/upload/file/video/ ... 4-2212.zip
Thank you for your kindness.
here they make an video, you can check,
later we will make another video.
Have a nice day^.^
Lia

Me:
03:48 Sep 04,2013
Wow the video looks great and it's .MOV! Looking good thanks for the update! I'll share the news. ~Jon

I just received my shipping confirmation email as well! (*does the happy dance*)

P.S. I asked the OP sudo via PM to add mini 0801 to the Thread Title and he came through! (perfect thanks)

Last edited by a moderator:
Leyte said:
@JazJon

Can you ask your contact if they plan on updating the firmware so this cam offers a speed display of MPH in addition to KPH? If so, can they offer a date as to when that may occur? Also, do they have a method that allows us to download firmware updates, such as a website or some other way?

Good idea! We might as well take advantage of this clear line of communication while we're on a role. Here's what I sent.

Me:
04:54 Sep 04,2013
Hi Lia,
Can you please ask your firmware programmer the following? Several members are asking me to relay this to you -
"Do you plan on updating the firmware so this cam offers a speed display of MPH in addition to KPH? If so, can you offer a date as to when that may occur? Also, do you have a method that allows us to download firmware updates, such as a website or some other way?"
Thanks!
~Jon

Leyte said:
Most excellent!

What would be really nice is if Dash Cam Talk had a place on the product information page like you posted above 0801 Dash Cam for updated firmware downloads. This way the seller can send to the admin here the updated firmware and then it could be posted on the information page for those who wish to download it. Not sure if this would be possible but it would certainly help the sellers get the firmware out to the buyers and the buyers would always know where to find an update.

Just a thought...

Oh don't worry, if ANY firmware updates or utils come out they are usually shared on the DashCamTalk FAQ page.
EDIT: Jokiin beat me to it! but yeah.......
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/
They already shared the Manual, and PlayBack exe files that come on the DVD's. There are no known firmware updates or utilities for this cam anywhere at this time. Most of these best bang for the buck camera's are programmed by Solution Providers to the re-sellers per batch with no ongoing or backwards support. That's why they are sold direct with no real brand name and at low cost. There is a brand name of the Mini 0801 in Russia called the ProCam CX4 sold at twice the price.

JazJon said:
Can you upload some samples of the new sound recordings you get? Post a link to the mic that worked for you. The gain was cranked down as a fix on the new models, so not sure replacing the mic is an option for newest models. (if we demand crystal clear audio with zero blowouts over bumps)

Here's an updated video.

It's on probably the bumpiest road I could find.
[edit] You might need to turn your volume up, Youtube seems to have turned down the audio, it's much louder in the original file. You should be able to hear indicators etc.
The knocking noises you can hear occasionally are from my keyring knocking against the steering wheel column.

I don't know what mic it is, I just took one out of a spare Sony Ericsson headset I had lying around. It looked like this one.
511BMPTn6KL._SX385_.jpg

[edit] After more testing, I managed to get the mic to blow out once, when I drove over a bloody huge pothole. It felt like I was driving off of a kerb.

JazJon said:
russ331 said:

Whoops I mis-calculated. Google says $177.40 New Zealand dollars = $138.55 USD (still the most expensive mini 0801 option out there)

Sub-Total: $154.90.
US Shipping (Weight: 0.50kg): $22.50.
Total: $177.40.

jokiin said:
russ331 said:
Wonder how the custom specs differentiate it from what can be bought cheaper elsewhere?

It sounds like Marketing BS especially since they say "Brand: Apple" and didn't bother updating the .MOV specs

russ331, I saw you asked the spec question on youtube, let's see what they come back with! (facts or bs)

The NZ re-seller is claiming the price increase is justified by secrets!?!?

"lacrossetechnology 38 minutes ago
once is the lens... and a few others that were not mentioning. we're not spending our time and development in giving such information out."

About the using "Brand Apple" on their product page and if they too will have the .MOV firmware they said:

"Yes i know its there... cant remove it (opencart issue) i delete it and it appears... oh well. we have direct contact with the manafacture and they will send and update Firmware once done. will have it on the site to download also, will advise once we have it."

irononreverse said:
JazJon said:

Here's an updated video.

http://youtu.be/txUJIBeZv68
It's on probably the bumpiest road I could find.
[edit] You might need to turn your volume up, Youtube seems to have turned down the audio, it's much louder in the original file. You should be able to hear indicators etc.
The knocking noises you can hear occasionally are from my keyring knocking against the steering wheel column.

I don't know what mic it is, I just took one out of a spare Sony Ericsson headset I had lying around. It looked like this one.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SX385_.jpg

[edit] After more testing, I managed to get the mic to blow out once, when I drove over a bloody huge pothole. It felt like I was driving off of a kerb.

Seems pretty ok now, glad you fixed your old batch 0801 sound. It might even be BETTER than normal/new 0801's. Can you post the RAW files via DropBox? I want to hear the natural volume if youtube screwed it up. Any chance you can post photos of the new mic what it looks like and how it's soldered/mounted?

It was pointed on youtube that the Double Sided Stick tape the 0801 window mount comes with is white. Mine too :roll:
(and stands outtoo much from the outside!)

XAx97TBm.jpg

I found some black tape on deal extreme for $3 (free shipping) :)

Double-Sided Foam Adhesive Tape - Black (5M)
http://dx.com/p/double-sided-foam-adhes ... -5m-134299

sku_134299_1.jpg

All the ones I've seen have used black 3M VHB, white is not appropriate at all, don't know what they think sometimes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back