Can you report people to police who break the law, if caught on dashcam?

Is it a violation here to dig into old posts and reply to them? Just wondering...

Is it a violation here to dig into old posts and reply to them? Just wondering...

No, not at all. There's a word for it.....bumping! (sometimes it's considered poor etiquette if its done for no other reason than to bring the thread to the top again)

No, not at all. There's a word for it.....bumping!

Do you have anything in this forum where there's a library of terms being used? Like the "bumping" word you just mentioned, it's one of those slang words for forum sites, right?

Do you have anything in this forum where there's a library of terms being used? Like the "bumping" word you just mentioned, it's one of those slang words for forum sites, right?

These things are kind of universal to internet forums in general. See this Wikipedia page.

Last edited:
There's also the term "Necroposting" which some people object to and some don't. It's usually done by new forum members ....like you. I guess if there is a decent reason to revive an old discussion, why not?

Necroposting
"A necropost is a message that revives (as in necromancy) an arbitrarily old thread, causing it to appear above newer and more active threads. This practice is generally seen as a breach of netiquette on most forums. Because old threads are not usually locked from further posting, necroposting is common for newer users and in cases where the date of previous posts is not apparent."

We call that TBFTD in other forums = Thread, back from the dead.

I think someone posting in old thread or starting a new one is fine

The thing I really hate is resident forum police that berate new members for posting something when they should have posted in some existing thread even though it's years old and buried deep in the forum who knows where, that's usually accompanied by sarcastic instructions about using search before posting

Forums with those types of members typically dwindle due to poor attitude, plenty of forums have them though

You can report any crime to the Cops, but don't expect them to do anything about it even if they see it themselves. You see, US law says that a Cop's obligation is to the general public and not to any specific individual. They do not have to come when you call them and they do not have to try to intervene when somebody is plainly robbing or murdering you. It is insane but that is the law in the US.

Me? I wouldn't bother. There are enough rednecks around here who will take the law into their own hands and solve the first problem, then both will go to jail which solves the second problem. A far better solution I think!

Phil

I think someone posting in old thread or starting a new one is fine

The thing I really hate is resident forum police that berate new members for posting something when they should have posted in some existing thread even though it's years old and buried deep in the forum who knows where, that's usually accompanied by sarcastic instructions about using search before posting

Forums with those types of members typically dwindle due to poor attitude, plenty of forums have them though

Reminds me of the first forum I ever joined when I bought my GPS. I was berated on asking my first question, accused of 'hijacking'
the thread. And that was by the admin. Needless to say, I never went back.

Reminds me of the first forum I ever joined when I bought my GPS. I was berated on asking my first question, accused of 'hijacking'
the thread. And that was by the admin. Needless to say, I never went back.

I know forums like that unfortunately

I had video of a taxi driver on his mobile - clear as day. Sent of to local taxi licensing authority - who forwarded to police.
Police said they could only take action if they witnessed it themselves, seems that my video evidence isn't good enough!
And because police wouldn't do anything, the taxi licensing wouldn't either!
Tells you a great deal about the society we live in.
I just found myself in a similar situation.

I came to some lights at a pedestrian crossing which had just turned to red so I stopped. A woman was crossing and there was about 4 or 5 cars waiting behind me, I then spotted a car in my side mirror that was coming past us all at speed, the woman walking over the crossing had to speed up to avoid being hit as the car went straight through the red light.

I thought I'd do the decent think and hand the video in to the police as you could clearly see his number plate. First they said "if you cant see his face on the video then nothing can be done". The next day they rang me to tell me how things were going and said "yes we've seen the video and now we have to wait for the pedestrian to complain before we can proceed".

I wont bother next time.

I just found myself in a similar situation.

I came to some lights at a pedestrian crossing which had just turned to red so I stopped. A woman was crossing and there was about 4 or 5 cars waiting behind me, I then spotted a car in my side mirror that was coming past us all at speed, the woman walking over the crossing had to speed up to avoid being hit as the car went straight through the red light.

I thought I'd do the decent think and hand the video in to the police as you could clearly see his number plate. First they said "if you cant see his face on the video then nothing can be done". The next day they rang me to tell me how things were going and said "yes we've seen the video and now we have to wait for the pedestrian to complain before we can proceed".

I wont bother next time.
EXACTLY
The pedestrian won't report it - probably too shocked to get the number plate anyway.
Meanwhile, our roads are being taken over by the lawless drivers because plod is so thin on the ground that these people know the chances of them being caught are slim. And let's face it, they aren't going to do anything stupid right in front of a brightly coloured, marked, cop car.

About 2 months ago I reported two taxi drivers. I included stills from my cam & offered video.
Both were transporting disabled people in their wheelchairs.
In the first instance, the minibus taxi pulled up in front of me & when the driver opened the tailgate I was gobsmacked - the passenger had no seatbelt on & the only wheelchair restraint was attached to some flimsy crossmember under the seat (the effect would be much like trying to tow a car by threading the rope through the wiper arms).
In the second incident, the driver of the black cab pushed the wheelchair in, applied the brakes, closed the tail lift & door then drove off - no restraints whatsoever - so every time the taxi cornered, the wheelchair would tip.
Taxi licensing told me there was nothing they could do unless the passenger complained. In both cases, the passengers would, at best, be able to dribble. (no disrespect intended).
My last email to taxi licensing said "you hand out licences to carry wheelchairs, you send these people on training, YOU have a duty of care" I've heard nothing back.

About 2 months ago I reported two taxi drivers. I included stills from my cam & offered video.
Both were transporting disabled people in their wheelchairs.
In the first instance, the minibus taxi pulled up in front of me & when the driver opened the tailgate I was gobsmacked - the passenger had no seatbelt on & the only wheelchair restraint was attached to some flimsy crossmember under the seat (the effect would be much like trying to tow a car by threading the rope through the wiper arms).
In the second incident, the driver of the black cab pushed the wheelchair in, applied the brakes, closed the tail lift & door then drove off - no restraints whatsoever - so every time the taxi cornered, the wheelchair would tip.
Taxi licensing told me there was nothing they could do unless the passenger complained. In both cases, the passengers would, at best, be able to dribble. (no disrespect intended).
My last email to taxi licensing said "you hand out licences to carry wheelchairs, you send these people on training, YOU have a duty of care" I've heard nothing back.

That's certainly no way to treat those disabled folk at all, and there is no excuse for the taxi licencing authority to brush you off. Have you considered sharing your experience, and videos, with The Bucks Herald? Most local papers are usually looking for stories like that.

That's certainly no way to treat those disabled folk at all, and there is no excuse for the taxi licencing authority to brush you off. Have you considered sharing your experience, and videos, with The Bucks Herald? Most local papers are usually looking for stories like that.
Done that - still waiting to read the story.
There's two problems here though...
Both taxis were driven by Asians & nobody likes to say a wrong word for fear of being branded racist.
I've checked out the 'facts' within the industry & although we are constantly told how you 'must' put seatbelts on and you 'must' secure wheelchairs correctly (Unwins have spent a fortune on R&D of wheelchair clamping systems), it seems that there is no actual law that says you must secure...
The law says that "seatbelts, where fitted, must be worn" and the getout clause for these people seems to be "where fitted". Our seatbelts for wheelchair users are an independant item which can be located in floor tracking anywhere in the vehicle - so, technically, they are not fitted.
And even the local wheelchair users group (BuDS) didn't reply to my emails - so if the users themselves don't care...

#36 liked that you tried, there is many who wouldent even have done that.

Here it seem police can use dashcam footage, and you dont have to be able to identefy the driver from the footage.
The last part i think is due to new law where police making speed traps no longer have to capture a good pic of the driver too, now fine just go towards the owner of the car and then its his problem to collect if it wasent him driving.

I have not submitted anything to the police yet, i fear that in the real world they wouldent bother, and in respect to that i fear my own reaction, my faith in Danish police have been at a absolute minimal for 30 years.
And not only cuz i was a criminal back then, i had a clear cut case with a drunk driver running into me and they did not want to respond to that, and several police cars passing by allso dident stop for 2 crashed cars where my volvo 212 was made 1 M shorter.

The driver was so drunk he couldent hardly stand up, and he had no licence and gave up false name. So needless to say i felt pretty cheated :mad:

Back