SJCAM SJ5000x Sony IMX078 Limited Edition Project Tentatively Scrapped?

I think the reason there are so many complaints on RC Groups is because there are many early adopters. It is people who want good stuff for their planes, boats and cars. The Mobius is very popular due to its from factor and support, and the GoPro from factor is popular due to most gimbals being made for that. By using custom dimensions, but close enough to GoPro, people can get your cameras to work with some workaround. So if asking for features, then 100% GoPro compatibility is one important trait (GitUp realized that, SJCam did not yet awaken). Support is another. Not selling a developing platform, where there is no support for yor product tomorrow. If we wanted no-support products with issues, we would buy the $30 GoPro lookalikes.
As I wrote before, SJCam SJ4000 was a success. The SJ5000+ is an example of how to kill the brand reputation. Mine has issues turning on, freezing at turn on (removing battery helps), the lens connection problem, and in general it is unstable, and I don't feel confident it will keep recording even when started. The SJ4000 is fine. Why do I need different waterproof casings for my SJ4000 and SJ5000+ ? Means that any mounting will be different as well. SJCam lost it, unless they offer free or very cheap exchanges of the SJ5000+ HW release 1,2 and 3 to the HW release 4, which is FW 3.0 compatible.
Don't spend too much on R&D, unless you plan to use another name. The SJCam name is tainted.

Do you plan to integrate remote control option?

Action camera without it is useless.

Do you plan to integrate remote control option?

Action camera without it is useless.

You can control the action cam with our Android / iOS phone app.

A remote control SJCAM is in the works. It is yet to be disclosed which model this will be.

I am guessing the the SJ5000x will not have remote control, but, I can confirm after the factory re-opens on the 5th (National Day Holiday)

The only thing that keeps me from buying sjcam is lack of remote control. Not sure why factory thinks that it is handy to use mobile phone instead of remote shutter, especialy when the camera is on helmet or any other place.

The other thing is definitely lack of real support. I was reading how you have zero issues and I was laughing because your biggest issue is 'no support'. I can understand when camera has issues (even gopro does), but you are obviously not willing to stand behind your products.

The only thing that could ruin your plans is when the Xiaomi launches new Yi camera with LCD, which will eventualy happen.

I personaly use Gopro Hero4 which is benchmark for action cams, but I am not running away from cheaper ones.

And btw, your iOS app does not work on iOS9 nor 2k can be adjusted in Android.

The App is still being updated on iTunes. I think even the xiaoyi app is being updated. The app should be working after the National day holiday.

Regarding support, we are looking to hire at least 2-3 more people to help with technical support. When our new site launches we will also have a support ticketing system.

Xiaoyi app is getting updated often.

From my POV perfect camera would have:

- lcd screen
- good image stabilization
- photo quality and colors reproduction closer to go pro (like xiaomi did)
- remote control option
- lens rectification option (enable/disable)

Closest to above is Go pro at hefty price tag. Xiaoyi is missing lcd.

Competing with go pro for any manufacturer is impossible at the moment. Yes, they are expensive, but they deliver top notch quality hardware and software.

When it comes to sjcam, your prices are getting higher with sj5000 series. When I add taxes that I nees to pay in Europe, it is almost mistake to buy sjcam instead of Sony or Gopro hero 3.

Take down the prices a bit and incorporate some of the things mentioned above and you will be on the right track.

I am average consumer and thatbis my opinion. Professionals that need quality above all, will choose Gopro.

Xiaoyi app is getting updated often.

From my POV perfect camera would have:

- lcd screen
- good image stabilization
- photo quality and colors reproduction closer to go pro (like xiaomi did)
- remote control option
- lens rectification option (enable/disable)

Closest to above is Go pro at hefty price tag. Xiaoyi is missing lcd.

Competing with go pro for any manufacturer is impossible at the moment. Yes, they are expensive, but they deliver top notch quality hardware and software.

When it comes to sjcam, your prices are getting higher with sj5000 series. When I add taxes that I nees to pay in Europe, it is almost mistake to buy sjcam instead of Sony or Gopro hero 3.

Take down the prices a bit and incorporate some of the things mentioned above and you will be on the right track.

I am average consumer and thatbis my opinion. Professionals that need quality above all, will choose Gopro.

Hi Breza,
Welcome to the forum! I have no affiliation with SJCAM (in fact about to launch my own camera) but I thought I'd answer a few things you raised here.

1) Competing with go pro for any manufacturer is impossible at the moment. Yes, they are expensive, but they deliver top notch quality hardware and software.

Who says people are? GoPro aren't actually a manufacturer, they're essentially a marketing company, their hardware is good but they don't optimize it, and their colouring is terrible. Their software is usually not bad but try getting updates after a while for them.

2) Take down the prices a bit and incorporate some of the things mentioned above and you will be on the right track.

Impossible, you're asking for more and for less. That means the manufacturers margin gets crushed and they'll rush a product and the consumer gets a product that's terrible and/or a product that isn't supported after a month or two because the manufacturer loss money.

3) Professionals that need quality above all, will choose Gopro.

It's funny because our product is currently being used in a car advert that will be broadcast all over Europe and our camera has not been released yet! Professionals have varying degrees of need for various things, I know at least one production company who when they went to the arctic used a chinese brand of camera and modified what they needed so when it got ruined (like it did) it cost then 120bucks instead of 600.

GoPro is not a particularly good camera company - they're at the top as they were first and have a stella marketing company (hell even I'm impressed by them) but actual quality is less their forte

Hope that helps

Dan

2) I know why I said this. Sjcam does not provide support at all. They can say whatever they want but I know several people having their cameras and having small to big problems and sjcam does not provide any solution for them. Check forums, check FB etc and you will see. They don't stand behind their products. But in the other hand you have Xiaomi that made good business with Xiaoyi camera which is far better than any Sjcam at much lower price. Good price is perfectly fine as long as you have support from the manufacturer. With Sjcam that is not the case.

Stellar or not, Gopro is almost perfect camera for me as the average consumer. They maybe started first but they havr better quality than most cameras nowdays and they will stay and sport #1 for long time, or at least until they get real competition. I am fairly sure that won't be chinese company.

Sjcam biggest issue is not having support at all. I can live without support with cheap cameras, but with prices above $150 and when taxes are added, ther pric will be in the same price range like Sony cameras.

2) I know why I said this. Sjcam does not provide support at all. They can say whatever they want but I know several people having their cameras and having small to big problems and sjcam does not provide any solution for them. Check forums, check FB etc and you will see. They don't stand behind their products. But in the other hand you have Xiaomi that made good business with Xiaoyi camera which is far better than any Sjcam at much lower price. Good price is perfectly fine as long as you have support from the manufacturer. With Sjcam that is not the case.

Stellar or not, Gopro is almost perfect camera for me as the average consumer. They maybe started first but they havr better quality than most cameras nowdays and they will stay and sport #1 for long time, or at least until they get real competition. I am fairly sure that won't be chinese company.

Sjcam biggest issue is not having support at all. I can live without support with cheap cameras, but with prices above $150 and when taxes are added, ther pric will be in the same price range like Sony cameras.

2) I'm not questioning SJCAMs support - yes there are instances of bad support. Maybe they should stand behind their product more, however, reducing the cost further will reduce that even further.

3) They maybe started first but they havr better quality than most cameras nowdays and they will stay and sport #1 for long time, or at least until they get real competition. I am fairly sure that won't be chinese company.

GoPro are currently running their cameras on the Ambarella A9 chip. When we started our camera we looked at creating an A9 based camera. HA. Essentially we were told to politely **** off unless we could stump up the 200,000USD as a 'buy in'. That is literally to be able to use that chip, then we'd need about another 100,000USD for A9 support because very engineers actually have this experience/knowledge yet.

The only companies who can afford to do that are the big companies with huge MOQs (minimum order quantities). Most cameras will do runs at a maximum of about 10,000. At a push. GoPro/Sony/Panosonic will do an MOQ of 50,000-100,000+. So the price can be brought down hugely.

It seems like you want to go and buy a Sony so go and buy a Sony, but don't come on here insulting other companies simply because they don't conform to your order of a race to the bottom. Whilst yes I do not agree with everything SJCAM does and I think their support is terrible, I refuse to let someone come on here and essentially go after them for being too expensive because they want something for basically nothing. You want a lot more, for a lot less. Business is about compromise and quality, and you just want price. As such I'd go to another brand because no company seems to fit your needs.

I am not insulting anybody here, sorry for that. Did not wanted to sound like that.

I see your point but you obviosly don't see mine. I don't think that Sjcams are bad or anything like that, they simply have fairly high price for the support they don't give at all.

Xiaomi with $66 camera is providing good support, regular updates etc. I know that price of camera includes everything (warranty, support etc) but Sjcam does not provide any of that. If you do not provide any support than at least give better price.

I will definitely buy Sjcam when model with remote launches and pay the given price.

And you, good luck with your camera.

Ende.

Before SJCamHD.com did not have to offer direct support to retail customers as they had a partner that did.

This is not to say that no support was provided.

In the past two months I have personally seen 2 people answering support@sjcamhd.com emails daily so I know there is support.

Also, when People came asking for support on online chat, we we forwarded them to email support questions at support@sjcamhd.com

So to say there is "Zero" aftersales support for retail customers is not fair.

This being said, we have a long way to go to service both reseller and retail customers.

We will be launching our own support forum. I also envision we will have 2-4 people added to our current tech support team.

I am not really tech support (am not a techie) but am here for an interface between customers and SJCAM upper management.

Also, for the new SJCamHD.com site, we will have updated firmware section with changelogs, manuals, and tutorials.

Some people on this forum have already created some awesome videos, tutorials, etc so we will be be probably using some of that material as well.

@ Breza, I know you did not mean to sound condescending. I know it takes a lot to get out a bad experience with any company.

@ JooVuu, yes you are correct. Any device is prone to have issues and there are crazy MOQs. Yes, investing more in aftersales support does mean that overall costs do rise; Thanks for looking at things from a manufacturer's side (as you are)...

Let's keep the constructive conversation going guys.

The SJCAM boss will have a lot to be updated on when we get back to the office on Monday.

From consumers side, I can tell you that you should aim photo/video quality simillar to Xiaoyi and usefull remote control (bluetooth) that could be mounted on monopod/wrist/etc.

I am not familliar with the manufaturing cost but better make top product with top price than average quality/price product.

Not trust nor hair of sjcam, much less of this man, this tony.
hacert promises you a deal in exchange for canceling a PayPal claim, and when you close the claim, does what seems to him.
My, M10 +, faulty wine (above I charge me $ 10 more, said return them the next day ... lie), so I put my claim to paypal.
Thinking better, I sent an email in which he asked if we made a deal, I would send the m10 + and my 5000plus be disastrous, I paid the cost of return shipping, and I did not return the $ 10 charged for more.
This man, accepts the deal, but ask me as a condition, to cancel the claim.
I revoke the claim and sent the two cameras only.
A few days later, I get a tracking number, PSAN few days, and it occurs to me to ask for what they sent me, and I answer, that has just sent the m10 + exchange, the other me send when they receive they.
Paypal talk to them and explain the case, and I habren back the claim.
And when I get contartar with this gentleman, I confirmed that if he has reached the 5000 plus, which has physical dan (if you are already 8 months) and a series of crap, but if you want me to change, I have to cancel the claim, if not, send me .so there is this little word of this man, if I had sent the two, as agreed, we would not be as we are, waiting for you to solve paypal, then that will happen to the m .... my 5000plus?.
By the way, I still have not received the m10 + returned, sent on the 19th "According to this gentleman."
Pos already know my story with this guy, so for me, SJCAM dead.
Good and I hope is resolved soon and the ordeal that took that from November 2014 ... liaillos with my camera ... it's okay, and returned to trust the m10 THEY WILL +, and ... **** runs OTHER .
TOCHO forgive.

Last edited:
your feedback would be better if you post in English, even if your English is not good it's ok, people will understand

@PACOLEON

Wow, you should really write that in English, or use google translate ...

Last edited:
@Paco, you escalated the claim.

This means that the only way that we can ship out is if you close your dispute.

if you don't close it, paypal could possibly refund you the money.

Although, we were only holiday, for the past 5 days, I was able to be on the forums.

Today is my first day back to work so I will reply to your email and hopefully, we can come to an agreement today.

Thanks

Back