Review: Dome D201 Ambarella A12 2560x1440p HDR GPS Dashcam (Gearbest.com)

Sunny - Just received my D201 and have a quick question. Does yours run fairly hot? Just did a little 15min test drive with it and I found the unit to be pretty warm to the touch when I removed it from the car.

Sunny - Just received my D201 and have a quick question. Does yours run fairly hot? Just did a little 15min test drive with it and I found the unit to be pretty warm to the touch when I removed it from the car.
I haven't tested how hot it gets but warm is fine.
I'll check after tonight if I remember right after I park.

Does yours run fairly hot?
Mine was a little warm to the touch. I'll have to start paying more attention as well. Maybe try to remember Mr TempGun

I haven't tested how hot it gets but warm is fine.
I'll check after tonight if I remember right after I park.

Mine was a little warm to the touch. I'll have to start paying more attention as well. Maybe try to remember Mr TempGun

Thanks for the replies! The cam is working great, so probably just normal operation.

Thanks for the replies! The cam is working great, so probably just normal operation.
That's good. I like this camera quite a bit so far. This and the A261 are my current favorites, and the JooVuu X of course because hatcam.

Morning 1440p HDR mode:
First snow of the season. No accumulation on the roads but some on the side hills at the end of 2nd video.
Clouds so low that you can almost touch them...

Low clouds. Red car @ 00:40 has some good snow on rear window...

and that's why I bought a Subaru. Always a great job with the videos though.
This one is my first AWD so I should be okay compared to last winter.
This year snow came very late.
It snows end of September here but this year, even in November it's just little bit of dust.

Hehe i just got a little refresher on American geography, seem like my brain had misplaced Denver for a short while :rolleyes::oops:

But at least i still had the correct NIC for the city stored :) and i know a lot of Ex Danes must have passed thru there on ther way to Utah.

Underground parking:
HDR vs No HDR:

HDR: Some fog on the windshield due to temperature change from outside to inside.

No HDR:

Conclusion:
Pros: Great resolution! Excellent daytime videos. Sound is good quality as well.
Night video is pretty good.
Cons: No mph speed option.

After driving 45 minutes, it was pretty warm. Not hot to touch though.
It's cold outside so summer may make it too hot.

Few clips to compare with Firefly 6S:

Firefly 6S comparison thread here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-vs-dome-d201-1440p-dashcam-comparison.15020/

Last edited:
Mother nature...
One day...

Next day...

What a beautiful scene today morning... snow on the sides, half cloudy, half sunshine, lakes on shadow reflecting blue and white sky...

22572475907_707ddda390_o.png

And here's the video for your pleasure:

For Vantrue video of same place/time: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...cam-ambarella-a7l50-ov4689.15092/#post-198655

For Nautilus video of same place/time: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...camera-improved-version-v2.14990/#post-198653

Just got my D201 and took some sample clips. The 2560x1440p HDR is good. I tried the 1920x1080p @ 60FPS and was really disappointed. See screenshots below, I'll let you guess which one is which.

xBk9hf3.png

ckoiSzM.png

Back