Review: CHUPAD D501 Wedge Dashcam, WiFi (NT96658+IMX322) (Gearbest)

Okay okay you win. ;)
It has much less fisheye effect compared to other novatek based cameras.
You can see it on the poles at edges but still not that much.
I'm not trying to win anything. :p It's just that the "no fish-eye effect" statement caught my attention and I was curious to see if the camera had it or not.
It's all about the lens, like @jokiin said, and very little or nothing to do with the chipset. Maybe the majority of cameras you test have wider lenses and you're not used to see cameras with lenses that give you less fish-eye effect. You have a good example of this in your review of the MateGo MG288. ;)

Last edited:
Ha ha CHUPAD :) that sound like some accessory to some extreme sport.
In Portuguese, if said in a certain way, it might get you in trouble if you're a man. ;) Just a hint: gay sexual innuendo. :rolleyes::D

Astounding pic quality for the price day and night. Hard to best that at twice the price. Are you going to do any long term testing Sunny? This could quickly become "King of the Economy Cams" if it holds up in constant use.

Phil
It's been over a week and it's working fine.
No heat shift focus even with LCD always on.
Here's today's video:

Thanks for the update Sunny :)

Phil

One more Chupad D501 Night Video:

One more Chupad D501 Night Video:

That's a UK radio station you are listening too on the above clip talking of traffic jams on the M25... which station was it?

I have ordered one of these cams from Gearbest at a mere £44 or $55, as my old GT680W just died after 3 good years of operation.

How fast is the transfer of files from camera to phone via wifi?

Also which app can be used to run device from phone?

Last edited:
That's a UK radio station you are listening too on the above clip talking of traffic jams on the M25... which station was it?

I have ordered one of these cams from Gearbest at a mere £44 or $55, as my old GT680W just died after 3 good years of operation.

How fast is the transfer of files from camera to phone via wifi?

Also which app can be used to run device from phone?
That's BBC news section on NPR.

I don't use WiFi to download files as it's pretty slow. I haven't tested time on it.

I use FinalCam for the WiFi app.
Chupad D501 FinalCam WiFi App.jpg

Few more clips from today. I'm really impressed with the video quality of this cheap dashcam.
For less than $60, it has great day and night video with Sony IMX322 sensor.

That's BBC news section on NPR.

I don't use WiFi to download files as it's pretty slow. I haven't tested time on it.

I use FinalCam for the WiFi app.
View attachment 26064

Thanks for the reply.

I was interested in the wifi, as I can ask the missus to download to her phone, any interesting files while travelling.

Hopefully they will not take too long.

Apparently the ios version of this app works but the android only works on certain versions, and she has an iphone.

I will post back some info on this thread next week when it arrives and I have had a chance to test it.

"Cons: no option to turn the LCD off"

Sunny do you know if there is going to be a firmware update to correct this as this would be irritating especially at night time.
Apart from this, the camera is a bargain.

"Cons: no option to turn the LCD off"

Sunny do you know if there is going to be a firmware update to correct this as this would be irritating especially at night time.
Apart from this, the camera is a bargain.

I have this camera now and can confirm that you 'CAN' turn the LCD screen off.

All you need to do is press and hold the M button and the LCD turns off while operating normally.

I will post some operational video's in the near future.

I have this camera now and can confirm that you 'CAN' turn the LCD screen off.

All you need to do is press and hold the M button and the LCD turns off while operating normally.

I will post some operational video's in the near future.
I meant no option to do it in settings.
You can also short press power button to turn LCD off but it's manual, not available in settings for delay off.

Here is a video from my installed system.

The camera fits nicely behind the rear view mirror, and although there are no settings to turn the LCD off, it is totally unobtrusive even at night due to it being angled downwards. And then you can manually turn it off if needs be.

Very impressed so far and no errors or missed files.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am very interested in this dash cam, but I want a dual lens dash cam for my car, I see this has Novatek 96658 Chip, and I guess it supports cameras but I only see AV-OUT port in the camera.
Is there a way to use this dashcam with a rear view camera ?
Thanks

Hello,
I am very interested in this dash cam, but I want a dual lens dash cam for my car, I see this has Novatek 96658 Chip, and I guess it supports cameras but I only see AV-OUT port in the camera.
Is there a way to use this dashcam with a rear view camera ?
Thanks
No but you can buy another dashcam for the rear.

Then why use Novatek 96658 (supports 2 channels), they could have used Novatek 96650, I guess it is cheaper :s

Thanks.
It is a pity i really liked the stealth shape and great night video quality ... but i need dual lens dash cam ... i guess i will take B40D

Thanks.
It is a pity i really liked the stealth shape and great night video quality ... but i need dual lens dash cam ... i guess i will take B40D

then you will give up the great night video and add a poor rear camera, choices

Back