I want to take a permanent marker and make my dash cam totally black.

I understood, just forgot to acknowledge that part. You're right that a sharpie marker is a never ending battle on certain types of plastics.

I have an old Harmony universal remote control I love (The 900) The joystick center part is a bit worn down so the back light shines through bright in the worn out spots. I tried using the sharpie marker approach but it never lasts more than a few days. At least the DashCam wouldn't be touched as much. (unless you grab it often to remove it for out of site parking purposes)

Maybe the best idea is to get some shipping labels and print out a full solid black color sheet. You could then custom cut the pieces you need to cover everything. It would then be fully reversible.

EDIT: Or you could print out the hello kitty logos :)

Maybe the best idea is to get some shipping labels and print out a full solid black color sheet. You could then custom cut the pieces you need to cover everything. It would then be fully reversible.

that could work, the print is not always UV safe though and still fades out if not

got to be a market for all black cameras I would think ;)

that could work, the print is not always UV safe though and still fades out if not

got to be a market for all black cameras I would think ;)

someone in China should just make a dash cam version of this bear nanny cam... the bear is about 6 inches tall, so just make a 2 or 3-inch version. :)

just make sure to have a tripod mount on top of the bear's head so it can hang from the windshield mount.

teddy-bear-nanny-camera-2-500x500.jpg

teddy-bear-nanny-camera-500x500.jpg

someone in China should just make a dash cam version of this bear nanny cam... the bear is about 6 inches tall, so just make a 2 or 3-inch version. :)
I won't trust it personally. The cam will get hot inside the teddy bear, and last thing I want is for Ted to burst into flame while no one is at home.

I tried using my Scotch sticker/marker remover pen but it didn't work. It's supposed to be better than googone. It appears the more powerful GoofOff is the way to go! I will get some to try since I don't like the shiny purple area sharpie always creates. (Never black enough)

e7yse6ys.jpg

$2.97 USD (free shipping)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0016JW6HY
61c3E0jLMsL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Where can I source a sticker or is it easier to make one?

I used goofoff, the stuff is very potent. Less is more and use a q-tip. I used too much I think on my mini 0801. It's good enough though.

Where can I source a sticker or is it easier to make one?

Get free UPS shipping labels online

Print out a solid black page from MS Paint.
Cut to size.

Get free UPS shipping labels online

Print out a solid black page from MS Paint.
Cut to size

This will work but printing a solid black page on a laser or inkjet printer will use up tens, perhaps even hundreds of normal text pages worth of toner or ink. You will end up will a VERY expensive label that wastes toner and would likely not even be very durable or long lasting.

It would probably be better to get some of those free shipping labels and use flat black spray paint. I've been using flat black spray paint from a local Walmart that costs 1.00 USD per can to "stealthify" dash cams and it is of surprisingly good quality and durability for the price.

Last edited:
This will work but printing a solid black page on a laser or inkjet printer will use up tens, perhaps even hundreds of normal text pages worth of toner or ink. You will end up will a VERY expensive label that wastes toner and would likely not even be very durable or long lasting.

in Australia this would typically translate to 'make sure you print this at work'

in Australia this would typically translate to 'make sure you print this at work'

Ha! You are right. That probably is true here in the US as well. I work out of my own office so I don't think that way. Still, laser toner is not very durable I've discovered, so I would still go with the paint but whatever works, works.

I have found that using rubbing alcohol will remove some of the printed information on items. I have removed lettering from a remote control keys this way when I did not intend to. Rubbing alcohol will also remove some kinds of paint although very slowly.

I have found that using rubbing alcohol will remove some of the printed information on items. I have removed lettering from a remote control keys this way when I did not intend to. Rubbing alcohol will also remove some kinds of paint although very slowly.
Nail Polish remover works a treat as well

don't use any fluids like that if it's a camera with the rubber feel coating as you'll take that off also

Back