Next Viofo Cam

Amazon UK has them for £70 right now. Given the usual direct substitution of pounds for dollars
That's 91 USD. Still a bit of a discount to us right now. Hoping the $79 comes back. This wasn't the ideal cam for me, but $80+$12 wiring+$30 memory card at least made a cheap investment that could be shoved to the rear windshield when something I truly want comes out. Sad that $20 stops the purchase, haha; all about setting pricing expectations at the start and not having it go up from there.

Also that view wouldn't show if the white car had overtaken suddenly before cutting in. That would be the difference between a small error of judgement on his part - which you would be expected to compensate for - and him driving like a lunatic which pins the blame squarely on him.

It's irrelevant what he was doing prior to the accident. You don't need to prove him to be a lunatic for him to be liable. All you need to show is he changed lanes and hit you, he's required to check the lane is clear before moving across.

If you've only got one cam (which is the norm for most people) then you need it to show both sides of an intersection such as at a 4-way stop.

We might have to agree to disagree. As I said above, you don't need to show everything. If the camera shows you were green and someone comes from the side and hits you, then that's enough to show you were in the right, they were in the wrong.

Here's a screen capture from Youtube, showing a GoPro in narrow Mode = 90 degrees - plenty of view to the sides in my opinion despite this being a super wide US junction:

90_Degree_FOV.jpg

Should have mentioned in the discussion above, FOV is also going to be an individual requirement based on what type of vehicle you drive. With a truck, you probably have a flat windscreen no bonnet (most EU trucks are completely flat at the front) or small bonnet (US), in which case a very wide angle is necessary.

For a car, you've got a raked windscreen (amount dependant on model) putting the cam back 2 or 3 feet from the bonnet edge and then 6 foot of bonnet. In the truck, the glass being the front, you need maximum FOV. In the car, because it's set back, a narrower fov will still capture the front of the bonnet and a bit to the sides. Then of course, there's personal preference and trade offs. I'd have thought for a car somewhere between 90 and 120, for an EU style truck, then probably 170 / 180.

Never really thought about trucks before, but it looks as if like sat navs, trucks could do with their own model of cams.

Last edited:
SawMaster said:
If you've only got one cam (which is the norm for most people) then you need it to show both sides of an intersection such as at a 4-way stop.

c4rc4m said:
We might have to agree to disagree. As I said above, you don't need to show everything. If the camera shows you were green and someone comes from the side and hits you, then that's enough to show you were in the right, they were in the wrong.

I guess someone has a bit of a reading comprehension issue as there are no lights at a 4-way stop :p Or at T-junctions, parking lots, driveways, and lots of other places without traffic lights where someone cam claim you pulled out in front of them by going out-of-turn or failing to yield right-of-way ;) Especiallu when there is no 'set-back' to the place where you are supposed to stop. You don't need to show the whole car but you do need to be able to show enough of it to prove who moved into the intersection first.

The world doesn't adapt itself to how you want it to work; you have to adapt yourself to how the world actually is
:cool:

Phil

Is there any reason to, you don't use the included app from Viofo?

WR1 user manual directs you to use the "FNNovatek" app. for Android. When I search the play store for this app, the "FN Cam" app comes up as best match with highest user rating. I assumed this is the preferred app recommended by VIOFO. Could be wrong, but it also seems to just work well with the WR1.

SawMaster said:
I guess someone has a bit of a reading comprehension issue as there are no lights at a 4-way stop :p

Phil, I misunderstood you. There is no such thing as 4 way stop in the UK. We have roundabouts where we don't have lights and the rule is you give way to traffic from the right. As for t junctions, I don't see an issue unless US roads are different again. In the UK the main road has priority and the side road will have a "Give Way" or "Stop" marked onto it. There's no need to show who moved first, the law is simple, one road has absolute priority, the other doesn't and must yield to traffic on the one that has, according to the road markings. Either way, a narrower angle would still show enough on UK / EU roads.

Maybe what we've identified is that US jurisdictions may have different cameras requirements to the UK or EU. ;)

WR1 user manual directs you to use the "FNNovatek" app. for Android. When I search the play store for this app, the "FN Cam" app comes up as best match with highest user rating. I assumed this is the preferred app recommended by VIOFO. Could be wrong, but it also seems to just work well with the WR1.

Perhaps this is something Viofo could improve in the documentation.

OK I will try out and see if there is any different to Viofo own app.

There is no such thing as 4 way stop in the UK.

I have encountered a couple of 4-way, give way junctions. Messes with your head the first time you see it, it just doesn't fit in with our way of doing things. But councils love their barmy experiments. I bet there's a 4-way stop somewhere.

Edit> Here's one of those places:

4waygw.jpg

Last edited:
I have encountered a couple of 4-way, give way junctions. Messes with your head the first time you see it, it just doesn't fit in with our way of doing things. But councils love their barmy experiments. I bet there's a 4-way stop somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
I don't remember seeing a stop sign anywhere in the UK in the last decade ... can anyone post a frame grab of one? :coffee:

Reactions: Mtz
Four way intersections have been around since the days of the Roman Empire. They are in widespread use in major thoroughfares all over the world and the notion that they are somehow impractical or unique is downright laughable, except perhaps to our friends in the UK and Europe. Round-abouts have slowly become more popular in some places in the US in recent years but they appear to have created their own set of problems in some locales.

In any event, determining optimal dash cam focal length (FOV) based on a single traffic scenario would be a fool's errand.

4 way intersections are otherwise known as "Crossroads" and hey, where would we be without Robert Johnson's 1936 classic "Cross Road Blues"? Not in the UK, that's for sure. ;)

Ukraine
ukraine.jpg
Philippines
phillipines.jpg
UK:meh:
crossroads.jpg

I don't remember seeing a stop sign anywhere in the UK in the last decade ... can anyone post a frame grab of one? :coffee:
Here is a stop sign I know, although it doesn't help much - the grey car turning right needs to give way to the vehicles he can't see behind the clock. People coming from the right also have a stop, but the people from the left have a give way and the people from straight on have nothing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3...4!1sjB8QqXHdMmZ4LFzj21ekOA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Normally the traffic looks more like this which makes things even more difficult:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3...4!1sTkVZHBB0iToAAAQqmQQDGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

How did the google car get in there?

A bit off the discussion, but hundreds in the North:

STOP.jpg

For the benefit of our US friends, a UK Stop sign is like a Give Way except you are meant to come to a complete halt before proceeding. They're usually used at junctions where there isn't a clear view so it isn't safe to simply give way because you can't take a proper look without stopping first. Otherwise, once you have stopped, you then treat he junction as a Give Way, so you give way to traffic on the main road or coming from the right as in the case of Nigel's picture above.

Four way intersections have been around since the days of the Roman Empire. They are in widespread use in major thoroughfares all over the world and the notion that they are somehow impractical or unique is downright laughable, except perhaps to our friends in the UK and Europe. Round-abouts have slowly become more popular in some places in the US in recent years but they appear to have created their own set of problems in some locales.

Here you go ranting accusations. No where did I say they were impractical. I simply said, in the UK / EU we don't usually have them. We have traffic lights or roundabouts:

ROUNDABOUT.jpg

The reason is almost certainly because they're safer. Interestingly though as you mentioned it, it appears it's the US and undeveloped countries in the main using 4 way uncontrolled junctions.

4 way intersections are otherwise known as "Crossroads" and hey, where would we be without Robert Johnson's 1936 classic "Cross Road Blues"? Not in the UK, that's for sure. ;)

In the UK Crossroads, have traffic lights. There have never been to my knowledge outside of 1 or 2 traffic experiments, 4 main roads coming together with give ways. We simply don't do it on the grounds of safety. It's possible to get 1 major and 2 minor, but then the minor are opposite each other and have Give Ways or Stops. The Main Road has priority. Our 4 way roads have lights or islands as above.

As for cameras, there's nothing wrong with having 1 lens type for the EU and one for the US, it happens with most products eg. tv's

I'll try to find one without motion blur. ;)

Edit> PS Here is the local junction where I had my only serious crash, when a car pulled out in front of my motorbike when I was about 17.

There wasn't a stop sign back then, but it wouldn't have helped. The car had stopped, it just waited until I was going through the junction and pulled out on me suddenly.

HoustonRd.jpg

Last edited:
I live in country which is in Europe but not yet in EU,undeveloped one,but cant remember I saw a 4- stop sign intersection somewhere.There are 3-stop sign and one right of way intersections or 2-give a way and 2-stop sign intersections.I understand there are different traffic laws and rules in UK,USA,and rest of world also,so why this discussion anyway?

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

A bit off the discussion, but hundreds in the North:

STOP.jpg

Here you go ranting accusations. No where did I say they were impractical. I simply said, in the UK / EU we don't usually have them. We have traffic lights or roundabouts:

ROUNDABOUT.jpg

Don't be so self-conscious, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring @Rajagra's characterization of 4 way intersections as "barmy experiments".

As for you, the notion of a lens type for the UK/EU and another for the US is simply daft. Assuming that a typical 4 way interchange is the only scenario one needs to accommodate is so overly simplistic in conceptualization it is nothing short of astonishing. The US is a vast country with literally hundreds of thousands of driving environments. As one typical example, I live in New England where much of the driving is not unlike "Old England". There are a few broad intersections like the example you provided from YouTube. There are also round-abouts of different sizes and designs, smaller 4 way cross-roads with traffic signals, stop signs, yield signs, flashing yellow light intersections, road of different widths and diesigns. We even have rural back country dirt roads where cars like this might drive past your house on any given day.:) (this is what is referred to around here as a three rod road, BTW).

ford.jpg

Anyway, in your example of a 4 way crossroads above you said, "If the camera shows you were green and someone comes from the side and hits you, then that's enough to show you were in the right, they were in the wrong." You are ignoring that there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of other possible driving mishap scenarios one needs to be able to record that would be missed if you have too narrow a view and no hood (bonnet) in the image. Someone failing to stop for a red traffic light or stop sign at a 4 way is merely one of them.

But aside from that, time and time again it becomes apparent that your notions of what is required in a dash cam are based on speculation and theorizing rather than actual experience. Your assertion that a lens choice in a dash cam should be determined based on a single driving scenario, such as a 4 way intersection makes no sense. It is the same regarding the need to eliminate all barrel distortion or have a ruggedized housing and all the rest of it. What is clear to me is that you are essentially an armchair dash cam theorist who has never ever had to use real footage in a legal or insurance matter. Until that day comes you are just a hobbyist engaging in elitist and off target conjecture regarding what people truly require in a proper dash camera.

And where do you get the notion that Kiev, Ukraine or Manila, Philippines as in the photo examples I provided are "undeveloped countries"?

OK I will try out and see if there is any different to Viofo own app.
We will update the manual in next batch. Manual is completed before we release the VIOFO app.

I was referring @Rajagra's characterization of 4 way intersections as "barmy experiments".

I never said that. I said that 4 way STOPS would be barmy HERE. We have crossroads everywhere. Nearly always one main road has priority and the two side roads have to give way - except where there are traffic lights.

Having 4 way stops would just break the system. Keep things simple and consistent, and people learn the system easily and can drive safely without too much effort. Having alternative ways of doing the same thing just confuses and stresses people. The 4 way give way junctions I mentioned before are a good example. They work in EXACTLY the same way as a mini roundabout, which we have lots of, but some some road planner had to try and be "clever."

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W WR1 48
W WR1 0
Yooshaw WR1 3
J WR1 4
J WR1 5
Back