Just got the A119S and the video is blurry :/

That's not focused. What temps are we talking about here? If that was the first clip from the drive, had the camera been sitting in the sun? Whether that's focus shift or just an out of focused camera, you need to get it replaced.

That's not focused. What temps are we talking about here? If that was the first clip from the drive, had the camera been sitting in the sun? Whether that's focus shift or just an out of focused camera, you need to get it replaced.
Funny thing is that's the replacement camera. Both A119S's I got are blurry. The car was only parked for a few minuets. Footage before I got there also blurry. Temps we are talking about are around 94F+. Since both cam's are showing the same issue I am going to return both and look into getting the SG9663DC.

Golly ... 2 duds in a row is not a good look for VIOFO

Yea at first I thought it could be something with my windshield. But the G1WH seems to be handling it just fine.

If you look at this clip 2017_0921_220410_137.MP4 on the A119S and then 15040022.MOV on the G1WH you cant make out the car on the A119S but can make it out with the G1WH. I would day at night the A119S has a bit of a better edge but still is not focused. I am socked after reading all the reviews and what people say to be having this issue with the A119S.

Three duds, not two ;-) Both my A119S`also have noticeable temperature-related focus drift. And in addition to that I have tons of hot pixels in night scenes on both cams (firmware v.2.1.).

Reactions: gse
Three duds, not two ;-) Both my A119S`also have noticeable temperature-related focus drift. And in addition to that I have tons of hot pixels in night scenes on both cams (firmware v.2.1.).
That will make it 4 since I have two lol. Fist was the original clip I posted, this is the replacement one lol

When I removed the protective film strip from the lens
I used a soft brush to remove any dust
and I used Q tips lightly moistened with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to clean the lens.
What did you use to clean the lens on your A119S?

That will make it 4 since I have two lol. Fist was the original clip I posted, this is the replacement one lol
Your situation is bizarre.
It was 89F here yesterday and my A119S works fine.

Funny thing is that's the replacement camera. Both A119S's I got are blurry. The car was only parked for a few minuets. Footage before I got there also blurry. Temps we are talking about are around 94F+. Since both cam's are showing the same issue I am going to return both and look into getting the SG9663DC.
Are any of the clips from the A119S in focus? What about first thing in the morning before it starts getting hot? If it's never in focus, that's not focus drift and simply a poorly focused lens. How that happened and how you managed to get two, is strange for sure.

Damn you would at least a forum revered. The first versions of the 119S installed a metal holder of the lens and with it there are no problems with anyone!

Damn you would at least a forum revered. The first versions of the 119S installed a metal holder of the lens and with it there are no problems with anyone!
But that's not true. They switched to the plastic base because they were having issues with the metal one. Unless Winter4w's camera is in focus at times, then out of focus at others, his issue isn't focus drift. At the moment it appears to be a poorly focused lens.

It's true! I cited dozens of examples not only on this forum, and those who changed plastic for metal do not have problems! I have a lot of video, and the screenshots above confirm this! My 119S is in order, metal holders are installed, I want that others would not have problems. But they are!

Last edited:
All lenses produce focus on a hemispherical plane, not a flat plane like a sensor or film is, and with wide-angles this is pronounced
Dear Halftone, what you are explaining here, is fairly obvious. But I am afraid that you are missing my point.
Every lens has something what I call "a circle of acceptably good focus", as perceived by user. It is not a scientific term, but a practicability-oriented one I just invented just for the sake of better explaining my point. Of course this circle does not have exactly defined limits (they are gradient), and its actual size also varies depending on lighting conditions, current aperture and shutter speed etc., but let me skip such commonplaces. Important is, that within this circle a lens is able to provide enough picture detalization for a typical user not to get the feeling that his picture is missing mission-critical details. For dashcams such details are license plates.
If under _most_ design conditions (or call them typical usage scenarios, whatever) of a specific digital imaging device its lens provides an acceptably good focus circle with a radius, which is _longer_, than the length of the rectangular image sensor diagonal of the same device, we can talk about such lens being properly selected by manufacturer to suit the specific device type.
If, on the contrary, under many device usage conditions the radius of such a circle is less, than the sensor diagonal (in other words, if in real life this circle too often turns smaller, than the rectangular image sensor, not covering the whole sensor area), we can talk about such lens being IMproperly selected by manufacturer to suit the specific device type.
Maybe for top photo cameras you professional photographers use the price difference between such two lenses would mean 10+ K$ - I do not know.
What I am perfectly sure of, is that in the dashcam world we are in, with tiny sensors and lenses, the difference mostly depends on proper lens selection, rather than price. I used to have a similar price range DOD dashcam before (P.S. two of them, actually), which had tons of other problems (reliability etc.), however their images were crisp from edge to edge. BTW neither did the DOD have any pronounced temperature-related focus drift problems. Based on this, I make the conclusion, that with proper lens selection (P.S. and with proper lens holder material selection, to avoid the temperature-related focus drift) my both Viofos would have been able of rendering videos not less crisp, than my old DODs - videos I would have no complaints with in terms of sharpness. And it is not inevitable that my Viofos have these problems, since other dashcam do not, despite the laws of physics and optics being the same for them all: it is a Viofo design flaw.

Last edited:
It's true! I cited dozens of examples not only on this forum, and those who changed plastic for metal do not have problems! I have a lot of video, and the screenshots above confirm this! My 119S is in order, metal holders are installed, I want that others would not have problems. But they are!
I'm not saying metal isn't better. I totally believe it is. I was just saying there were issues with the original metal holder. That's why they had to change it. Not sure why they didn't go with a different manufacturer for another metal one and chose a plastic one. In any case, I'm not convinced the issue here is focus shift. I would need to see a change between clear and blurry (I'm referring to winter4w's camera issue).

In any case, I'm not convinced the issue here is focus shift.
I guess, what "gse" is trying to say, is that even if "winter4w" has a badly factory-focused lens, and even if he manages to refocus it himself or get a (better luck the third time?) properly factory-focused replacement, he will still be unhappy with his Viofo focus due to the temperature-related focus drift/shift/instability/whatever, since this is a Viofo design issue with no fix available yet, and with no reasons to expect (as of today) that it will ever be fixed by manufacturer.

Now let me try to be more positive and ask everyone a question: is there perhaps an aftermarket metal lens holder available from some manufacturer somewhere on Earth, which would fit our Viofos? I would be happy to buy two pieces.
Right after I faced this focus issue myself, I found just one single link for purchasing such, but by the time I found this link, the product was not available any more.

It is so easy for you lot to lose the plot so I remind you that this is an excellent dashcam that is designed for close up

is there perhaps an aftermarket metal lens holder available from some manufacturer somewhere on Earth, which would fit our Viofos? I would be happy to buy two pieces.

There are no such holders for sellers at Aliexpress and Ebey.
All that is sold has an inter-axle mount 16/18/20/22/24 mm
Holder Viofo has a fastening of 19mm.
I think that the analogical metal holders of 19mm are installed on the 2-channel Street Guardian SG9663DC (Sony IMX291 + Sony IMX322), since Viofo uses their matrix and board, and only Metal Holders are installed on Guardian Street, ask why, why?
I in some of the messages asked the jokiin
to point out this problem to Viofo, I do not know whether there was a dialogue with the engineer Viofo.

P.S. Maybe jokiin will help us to purchase the original holders for the forum , we really do solve these problems.

IMX 291.jpg

Last edited:
Can I see a link to this problem?
I'll take a look for it, but there are thousands of posts on the A119/A119S and I'm not going to look for long. Not sure which of the threads it was in that Viofo posted it.

I'll take a look for it, but there are thousands of posts on the A119/A119S and I'm not going to look for long. Not sure which of the threads it was in that Viofo posted it.
The fact Viofo has chosen you as one of their valued Sellers indicates to me you have a more broader knowledge than most people in the street and an excellent reputation to boot. I think you are really dedicated to this forum, you have class dealing with us, carry on.

Back