Original Mobius night recording with 4mm ~ F1.2 lens (!)

That looks more like loss of focus around the edges than motion blur with the Runcam lens. If it was motion blur, it would be sharper in the vertical direction.

The second set of images confirms this, as there's definitely no motion blur when the camera is stationary at a red light!

Yeah, I actually don't care about the RC lens really and maybe it could do with some more focussing tests, but it was just a checkie.

Anyway, thanks for the info, helps a lot, I may know a little more about this subject than the average trucker, but the bottom line is that I'm still a hauler goofing around with dashcams..... hahahahaha :D

However in this case it looks like you have found a fast M12 lens that performs very well at a reasonable price. Looking forward to receiving mine. I just hope it's from the same batch and has similar performance....

yeah I guess, it will be interesting to see what the f1.4 /2.8mm (wider view) does when it comes in as well....

It might have something to do with this being rated by the seller as a Starlight/Starburst lens?

yeah I guess, it will be interesting to see what the f1.4 /2.8mm (wider view) does when it comes in as well....

It might have something to do with this being rated by the seller as a Starlight/Starburst lens?
I think Starlight is just a marketing term, saying it has a wide aperture and therefore lets in a lot of light. They advertise it as being suitable for the Sony IMX291 ultra low light sensor, though as you have shown it is suitable for the Mobius, as it will be for many other cameras with a 1/2.5" or smaller sensor.

That looks more like loss of focus around the edges than motion blur with the Runcam lens. If it was motion blur, it would be sharper in the vertical direction.

The second set of images confirms this, as there's definitely no motion blur when the camera is stationary at a red light!
It may just be focused too close, certainly something not right.

I think Starlight is just a marketing term, saying it has a wide aperture and therefore lets in a lot of light. They advertise it as being suitable for the Sony IMX291 ultra low light sensor, though as you have shown it is suitable for the Mobius, as it will be for many other cameras with a 1/2.5" or smaller sensor.
Might be interesting to try it on the A119S then since that has an IMX291 Starvis sensor...

Lens technology for cheap lenses seems to have significantly improved recently because it has become possible to produce small cheap glass aspheric elements which a few years ago would have been very expensive, with good expert design this can solve the focus and chromatic issues, there may be a few more really good lenses appearing over the next year or two.

It may just be focused too close, certainly something not right.

Might be interesting to try it on the A119S then since that has an IMX291 Starvis sensor...

Lens technology for cheap lenses seems to have significantly improved recently because it has become possible to produce small cheap glass aspheric elements which a few years ago would have been very expensive, with good expert design this can solve the focus and chromatic issues, there may be a few more really good lenses appearing over the next year or two.

I'm not going to fiddle with the A119S' lens for while, just got it brandnew.... but you may be right, would definitey be interesting.....!

Although the construction of the swivel lens might not be the best way to go..... the F1.2 is long, and may have some drag-down effect to it.... and what about vibrations, I think we should look for another camera with an IMX291 Starvis sensor.

Starlight may be a marketing term but there are indeed lenses on the market that are capable of transmitting light much more efficiently than typical camera lenses. This is accomplished with the use of specialized glass formulations using substances such as fluorite that create a low dispersion, low refraction glass than can transmit light (in certain frequencies) more efficiently, specialized optical coatings on the individual lens surfaces and unique optical designs that employ thinner and fewer lens elements in order to maximize transfer function.

Of course, with these inexpensive Chinese lenses from AliExpress we have no way of really knowing what goes into their manufacture. On the other hand some brief internet searching shows that there are some companies in China producing a wide variety of highly sophisticated optical components at extremely low prices so it is at least "possible" that there is more to these "Starlight" lenses than just a wide aperture.

Last edited:
F1.2 lens exp -/-30 (too dark for my taste, going back to -20):

I'm getting confused here. Is exp -20 brighter than -30?

I'm getting confused here. Is exp -20 brighter than -30?

OK, so I got confused here too and deleted my last post so I could think this through again.

So, yes, -20 is brighter than -30 but unlike what I said previously all the minus values are "north" of the normal position in mSetup which can feel a little counter intuitive. You could conceivably go all the way to -128 to make the image pure black if you had any reason to.

exposure.png

OK, so I got confused here too and deleted my last post so I could think this through again.

So, yes, -20 is brighter than -30 but unlike what I said previously all the minus values are "north" of the normal position in mSetup which can feel a little counter intuitive. You could conceivably go all the way to -128 to make the image pure black if you had any reason to.

Thanks @Dashmellow. I'm thinking the other way too. From memory I thought settings below "normal" is -. Above is +.

C2 lens exp 0:
View attachment 33993

View attachment 33992
At night there's a trade off between preserving highlight and shadow information, due to the limited dynamic range of the sensor. You can read number plates easier when the exposure is turned down, but you do lose shadow detail.

At night there's a trade off between preserving highlight and shadow information, due to the limited dynamic range of the sensor. You can read number plates easier when the exposure is turned down, but you do lose shadow detail.

as the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too

Back