Why I've added a 3rd cam to my car. Psycho driver.

@Matt_V939 - Odd. I read a study a couple of years back on adult intelligence for industrialized nations and dead last was Italy followed by the USA and then Poland. Doing a quick search now shows several reports with Italy pretty high at 4th or 5th place. This one has Italy ranked #35 and the USA #28. https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php So I guess you can't give much weight to any of them. One thing for sure, it's not very smart to not have a dash cam considering the low cost and how much $$$ it can save you in the event of an accident. BTW, I have nothing against Italians. :p
They are obviously assuming that there are enough adults in the USA to study, and 2nd to last is too high for the US :(

Funnies thing is that most americans are from europe;)

...Odd. I read a study a couple of years back on adult intelligence for industrialized nations and dead last was Italy followed by the USA and then Poland. Doing a quick search now shows several reports with Italy pretty high at 4th or 5th place. This one has Italy ranked #35 and the USA #28....
Moral of the story - if you want to prove anything (right or wrong) use statistics. :rolleyes:

There's plenty of Americans (including me) who are against political correctness as well!

Of course. But your is a politically correct sentence, again I prefer to be politically uncorrect again assuming all americans are similarly politically correct....:p:D

seeing marijuana is now legalised in California, driving will only get worse, make sure your dashcam is plugged in and working.

Thousands and thousands of people have been smoking weed and driving in California for decades, the only difference is that now they can purchase it legally. Driving will not get "worse". That kind of talk is alarmist and uniformed.

seeing marijuana is now legalised in California, driving will only get worse, make sure your dashcam is plugged in and working.
They might be too stoned to remembere to check if the dashcam is plugged and working...:)

I have just 2 cameras on my car but 3 on my bike. It is a necessary evil with the way people drive on the roads now

Thousands and thousands of people have been smoking weed and driving in California for decades, the only difference is that now they can purchase it legally. Driving will not get "worse". That kind of talk is alarmist and uniformed.

You may have underestimated those numbers :ROFLMAO: In my wild youth one of my friend's Dad was a Cop. When we went off to party he always admonished us to not drink and drive but to get stoned instead. "I've never taken the seat belt off a dead stoned driver but I've unbuckled plenty of dead drunks" was what he'd say :cool: And having done all that stuff myself I concur (though I'd prefer folks not drive while using any kind of drugs including alcohol ;)). When you're stoned you drive more slowly and about the worst problem you'll see is some drifting out of their lane occasionally :rolleyes: Pot has a calmative effect which may even make things on the roads better :giggle:

The laws concerning driving under the influence will still apply and will be enforced so little or nothing will change on the roads with pot legalization.

Phil

You may have underestimated those numbers :ROFLMAO: In my wild youth one of my friend's Dad was a Cop. When we went off to party he always admonished us to not drink and drive but to get stoned instead. "I've never taken the seat belt off a dead stoned driver but I've unbuckled plenty of dead drunks" was what he'd say :cool: And having done all that stuff myself I concur (though I'd prefer folks not drive while using any kind of drugs including alcohol;)). When you're stoned you drive more slowly and about the worst problem you'll see is some drifting out of their lane occasionally:rolleyes: Pot has a calmative effect which may even make things on the roads better :giggle:

The laws concerning driving under the influence will still apply and will be enforced so little or nothing will change on the roads with pot legalization.

Phil

While all traffic statistics tend to fluctuate over time this Washington Post article supports your comments.

"Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows"

.... When you're stoned you drive more slowly and about the worst problem you'll see is some drifting out of their lane occasionall...
Yeah, pretty safe & healthy to drift out of their lane either for those driving in the opposite direction or pedestrian/cyclists on the same one...

The harshest critics of marijuana use are almost always those who have not experienced it's effects and have not personally seen those effects in others directly and at length. Many prescription drugs have a far more adverse effect on cognition even in small doses which are considered safe while driving :eek: You know your limits when you're stoned and you tend to stay within them because of that ;) It's only the occasional inattentiveness that might catch you out, and that is equally a facet of a sober person's inherent behavior. Alcohol greatly impairs your cognition even in small doses and is a far more deadly alternative. I won't quite statistics- I don't need to as I've seen it all and experienced most of it personally as well as having seen it in others. My decision to end all that was a personal one and I highly advocate sobriety at all times, but I will not condemn those who smoke or drink in moderation and are always in full control of themselves. And if there is such a thing as a 'safe drug; it's weed :cool:

If road safety is your concern then you need to be fighting to reinstate the Volstead Act, not bashing something you know nothing about. Alcohol-related road deaths are by far the largest preventable category while marijuana-related road deaths hardly even show in the numbers or in reality. This will prove itself in California just as it has proven itself elsewhere, therefore I will not argue the point further. I will however always advocate sobriety (y)

Phil- a friend of Bill W. forever

The harshest critics of marijuana use are almost always those who have not experienced it's effects and have not personally seen those effects in others directly and at length. Many prescription drugs have a far more adverse effect on cognition... And if there is such a thing as a 'safe drug; it's weed :cool:

If road safety is your concern then you need to be fighting to reinstate the Volstead Act, not bashing something you know nothing about. Alcohol-related road deaths are by far the largest preventable category while marijuana-related road deaths hardly even show in the numbers or in reality. ....

Well, you are right on the first point.(y) But as much I do not like to be lectured by drunk drivers on how safe or not it is to drink & drive, I might not like to be similarly inclined to be lectured by stoned drivers too.;) ("conflict of interest" as they say)
- "there are prescription drugs which have adverse effect"....yeah, thanks, hard to dispute that If you tale sleeping pills you wont' drive that good. So what does this prove?
There might also be issues while driving after taking a laxative as well.:giggle:
- As for numbers, the situation is yet not that established. But is that recommended? Should then Bus and truck drivers smoke weed to relax while driving for their "stressful" job?
https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/colorado-marijuana-traffic-fatalities/

And
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...juana-legalization-did-to-car-accident-rates/
"They found that over that time period, collisions claim frequencies in the states that had legalized marijuana were about 3 percent higher than would have been anticipated without legalization. The researchers characterized that number as small, but significant. Collision claim frequency refers to the number of claims filed divided by the number of insured vehicle years."

Well, you are right on the first point.(y) But as much I do not like to be lectured by drunk drivers on how safe or not it is to drink & drive, I might not like to be similarly inclined to be lectured by stoned drivers too.;) ("conflict of interest" as they say)
- "there are prescription drugs which have adverse effect"....yeah, thanks, hard to dispute that If you tale sleeping pills you wont' drive that good. So what does this prove?
There might also be issues while driving after taking a laxative as well.:giggle:
- As for numbers, the situation is yet not that established. But is that recommended? Should then Bus and truck drivers smoke weed to relax while driving for their "stressful" job?
https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/colorado-marijuana-traffic-fatalities/

And
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...juana-legalization-did-to-car-accident-rates/
"They found that over that time period, collisions claim frequencies in the states that had legalized marijuana were about 3 percent higher than would have been anticipated without legalization. The researchers characterized that number as small, but significant. Collision claim frequency refers to the number of claims filed divided by the number of insured vehicle years."

As I mentioned in my previosu post, traffic fatality numbers trend higher and lower over time. For example, in my state alcohols related DUI fatalities have been in a long term downtrend but in recent years have been ticking upwards. Many factors influence these trends and marijuana may or may not have a significant effect long term in the overall scheme of things. We don't really know yet but it is unlikely. The significant flaw is these recent studies regarding legalized marijuana is that virtually all of them ignore the fact that large numbers of people included in the studies have been driving under the influence of marijuana since long before it became legally available. Legalization has not created vast numbers of new weed users who were not already using the drug. Now that weed is legal in some states, legislatures, law enforcement and courts are adapting to the new legal framework. As a result, new impairment standards, testing protocols, fines and penalties for cannabis related DUI will influence traffic statistics trends going forward.

I know about this in part because the state I live in (Vermont) is on the cusp of being the first state in the nation to legalize recreational marijuana via an act of its legislative body rather than a citizen initiative. As a result, we citizens have been subjected to a multi-year tedious public debate and discussion in the media regarding whether or not to move forward with this legislation. Last year the legislature actually passed a law creating the legal framework for legalized marijuana but it was vetoed by our Governor who insisted on clarifications on issues of DUI safety, enforcement standards and keeping marijuana out of the hands of minors, especially while driving. Now, with the 2018 legislative session set to begin we will find out, probably in the next few weeks if weed will become legal here but a front page article in today's paper again made it clear that traffic enforcement will be at the top of the agenda.

Sure, fatalities are up and down, data are still not reliable.

Having said that, should you board a bus, would you choose:
Bus A: driver just finished a couple of joints
Bus B: non smoker

I am not waiting for the data to be reliable or not, I know what I'd choose.

I saw someone have come up with a breathalyzer for weed, if that work and are faster than the mobile swipe units in Danish cop cars, then capturing the potheads should be more easy.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/306676
Personally i think nowadays they should test for both when they have you pulled over anyways, here in DK you do get to blow in the straw pretty much all the time you get pulled over and i feel they should test for weed too as it is a mighty popular recreational drug here funneling about 1 billion DKkr out of society every year ( alcohol almost double of that as its even more popular / the hallmark drug of choise here )

While i myself have been a pothead and pothead driver for many years ( decades ), and it is my firm belief that it was not a problem for me, as i caused no crashes but did make a boo - boo in the period, then i am sure it would have been the same if i never touched the damn stuff.
Same boo - boos i made then i have pretty much replicated after i laid off the damn stuff, so either i am pretty stupid or massing up once in a while just make you human.

BUT ! it seem like i may have been a moderate smoker or at least been able to maintain some form of accountability and moral standard.
And indeed some of the stuff you can buy today have much higher THC levels, then to me it do look like a lot of other people have a hard time handling the stuff, though i think that the reason for that are the general decline in what are morally acceptable in society today.
But if weed amplify your lack of moral standards and common decency then you really should lay off the stuff, just like i did with alcohol when i was a teen, if you dont you are just a selfish punk and in that case society should do all it can to protect itself against you.

Sure, fatalities are up and down, data are still not reliable.

Having said that, should you board a bus, would you choose:
Bus A: driver just finished a couple of joints
Bus B: non smoker

I am not waiting for the data to be reliable or not, I know what I'd choose.

If you think a bus driver might have "just finished a couple of joints" you don't know how people generally consume marijuana.

Personally, I would have minor concerns with a bus driver smoking weed and major concerns with a bus driver consuming alcohol or opiates. Nevertheless, people should be unimpaired whenever they are behind the wheel of a motor vehicle, especially a professional operating a public conveyance full of passengers.

The issue of legalizing recreational cannabis is entirely separate from whether it is OK to drive under its influence. I'm always amused at how people who are so vocally against marijuana legalization because of potential traffic safety issues never ever advocate for banning the consumption of demonstratively more dangerous alcohol.

Back