Kamkar beating on B1W

@Leonauto - I'll do that. My WR1 has good audio so I'll re-drive that section tomorrow and post that clip on YT. I'll try to get the mic swapped tonight and post that clip tomorrow too.

@jokiin - While grabbing a taxi might be enough for some things, it won't do for all things unless the testing conditions replicate the conditions where the problem occurs. Now I am beginning to understand why those guys often say they can't replicate a problem- it's because they do not know how to try o_O

@kamkar1- Glad you will do the hand-held test for us (y)I wanted to soft-mount the original mic before swapping in a new one but there won't be time for that here, Your test will do essentially the same thing in removing mount and car vibrations.

@Module 79L- My B1W has clear unmuffled audio which I would have posted except that those clips are laced with my profanity :rolleyes: It's just that the low-frequency rumble overpowers the rest :(

Seems a phenolic spacer broke in my torque converter so no big van action today :mad: Will order another one tonight and hope for time and weather cooperation when it arrives. Just another day on the funway!

Phil

Just did a dry run on the PC with the mic end of the camera in mu headset, and rage against the machine at full blast.
Whine the audio are not fidelety for sure i think it are without the distortion we see when mounted in the car, but i will let you be the judge.

https://mega.nz/#!vtwijYwQ!bIYeCeRRUwebGJJ3lKo7spJNIYZdrq2Oexi1lTmmkyU

Had to do it as a DL as youtybe though its where i got the music from might block / mute my video

Found a frequency sweep video 1 to 100 Hz, my headset and computer are at full volume but video are not that loud, but was uncomfortable with the headset on.
In the start you can head bad boys 2 going on my TV also at a moderate volume ( 10 or something lower )

Original video:

My video:

I actually have a tone genrator too, but it is buried deep in my old long time storage so i will not go digging for it in a mess i only planned to unveil again if i got a house again one day.

[USER=469]@jokiin
- While grabbing a taxi might be enough for some things, it won't do for all things unless the testing conditions replicate the conditions where the problem occurs. Now I am beginning to understand why those guys often say they can't replicate a problem- it's because they do not know how to try o_O

it's a much bigger challenge than you would imagine

This video clip quite clearly shows the recorded noise changing when driving from a section of new road surface onto an older section which is not so smooth.

What we hear in the video samples is not the sound of a loose mic, it's low frequency distortion. Those mics have to be very sensitive to be able to pick up low volume external sounds through the tiny holes in the casing, so when they're not good or aren't well calibrated, any high volume sounds, especially the low frequency ones, tend to overwhelm the mic and cause distortion.
I found "Test audio tracks for checking and tuning car speakers and audio equipment" here: http://soundbarrel.ru/audio/test_01.html

These tracks are also used in competitions of enthusiasts on auto sound (for example: http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audio_competition.html, https://iasca.com/)
Assembly all the audio tracks of the Audio Doctor FSQ-2 (copy from soundbarrel.ru)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XpXDvaPXWDFaH87xsEBmyPbibCsjP36o
There are a lot of tracks for different tests, but the most interesting thing to me was track #7 - clean sound at low frequencies, every few seconds only one frequency is generated and then step by step to another frequency. Original track #7 here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M6LWYF-WI3uB8-Xvwp1wBwvyDE3lsaZx

Simply start playing this track through the audio system at normal volume, before each track the speaker calls the pitch of the sound (the frequency created by the generator). B1B must be switched on for recording.
During the playback of the track, you need to say something, so that you can then compare the loudness of the signal generator and voice.

I already conducted a preliminary test and the result struck me: at frequencies of 45 Hz, 125 Hz, 150 Hz my voice against the background of distortion is not audible.:eek:
Original Video recording of track #7 (size 190 MB):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kpfacphGbSYhxpL7NCKM8Ok3SmGunq8_

PS: I need to run more tests using a different speaker system to make sure the results.

PPS: Information and these videos with sound, I already posted to @estore009

Last edited:
I just need to take a bath then i am off on my drive.
And there are a little sun here too, so i might be able to capture some plates today.

Audio tests are good but you're going about it the wrong way. You can't replicate what the mic captures inside a vehicle's cabin with simple frequency tracks because the sounds being generated there are multiple and complex: tire noise, road noise, wind noise, resonance generated by the empty spaces, etc. Also, the reaction of the mic to those tests depends a lot on the speakers the sound is coming from, the distance to them, the size and characteristics of the room where the test is taking place...
The most important thing here is level, that's why there's no distortion when the vehicle is stopped and it increases as the noise levels increase. @Leonauto's test proves it: the sounds with the higher levels are the ones causing the problem.

Audio tests are good but you're going about it the wrong way. You can't replicate what the mic captures inside a vehicle's cabin with simple frequency tracks because the sounds being generated there are multiple and complex: tire noise, road noise, wind noise, resonance generated by the empty spaces, etc. .
yes and no, if the mic itself has problems with low frequencies it would be an easy way to tell if it's just a mic issue, just helps to rule that out as a possibility

yes and no, if the mic itself has problems with low frequencies it would be an easy way to tell if it's just a mic issue, just helps to rule that out as a possibility
But the test results might also be inconclusive, as we've seen so far.

As I said it would help rule it out, if it distorted with low frequency now then you would know the mic has issues

Not enough coffee in me yet to make deep comments, but whatever knowledge we can solidly gain- even if it shows nothing significant- might help solve the problem. Troubleshooting anything is best done by first noticing everything which does not seem to be wrong, then looking more closely at whatever is left.

Mic swap coming shortly ;)

Phil

In any case, a simple recording inside the cabin will only give sound with distortion. which will records В1W, it is necessary still parallel record on other device.

Exactly, I agree, we have a source of pure sound, a comparison with which will reveal problems at this, the lowest initial level of testing. We have a spectrum of sound, a certain frequency and the same level and it's easier to compare.

Last edited:
Okay home from my little drive, and yes the distortion are still there when holding the camera in the hand.
So i am now mostly inclined to think its a issue with the setting of the microphone or the microphone itself, i cant say its a housing resonance thing anymore.

So testing with a tone generator or something could reveal at what frequency the cut off should be for the microphone, or if its even enough.

Have started to fill in post #2
Today i did a little plate hunting as i was blessed with a little glimpse of blue sky and sun, far from optimal but still good enough for plate capture.

I have news but not good. In short, I somehow managed to pull the mic wires loose from the PC board and they were on the side I didn't photograph since I left the PCB mounted to the case. So now I have a video-only cam but at least I'll have pics of the teardown on my review page later once I stop banging my stupid head into the well-dented wall. My apologies to all.

Phil

Teardown pics are HERE the mic is in the last pic on the left. If anyone else goes as far as removing the PCB from the case please send me a pic of where the mic wires attach.

Phil

If anyone else goes as far as removing the PCB from the case please send me a pic of where the mic wires attach.
Phil
I will try tomorrow to remove the PCB and make a pic of connecting the microphone wires.

I already reached the microphone, its diameter is 4 mm. Of the available spare parts from unnecessary old devices - the same size has a Nokia headset.

Back