Any more news on the rear plug in camera for 512gw ultra

Hello all - first post. Just buying a new car (Golf SE 1.4 Nav) and seeking a camera - decided on a Nextbase 550 which is currently 20% off at Halfords

Read through this thread seems like a rear camera is soon imminent, forthcomingly impendingly, inevitably loomingly probably unavoidably about to land.

Compliments to Tiffany who is doing her best to keep us informed.

Count me in! :)

Zero

Like all of you here I have been following this and other threads waiting for the rear camera.

I really hope we see something soon.

Hi Tiffany

I am new on here as looking to buy the 512GW from Halfords and picked up on this thread - I have looked on a few threads but cannot find an answer to this question - as the new rear cam connects directly to the 512GW, will it possible to use it as a reversing camera as well i.e. when you put the car in reverse, will the screen on the 512 automatically change to show the rear view?

shocam

Hi Tiffany

I am new on here as looking to buy the 512GW from Halfords and picked up on this thread - I have looked on a few threads but cannot find an answer to this question - as the new rear cam connects directly to the 512GW, will it possible to use it as a reversing camera as well i.e. when you put the car in reverse, will the screen on the 512 automatically change to show the rear view?

shocam

Very very very doubtful as there is no additional connections from the main camera to sense reverse.....
Even if it did the screen is so small it would be useless.... IMHO

Hi daveg, that makes sense, although is a shame as this would have been a really useful addition.

shocam

How can it possibly be a 'useful addition' on a device with a tiny screen that most people hide behind the rear view mirror so as not to distract? What next as a 'useful addition'? A TV receiver. A BD player? :D:yuck:

Hi @shocam

This wouldn't be possible I'm sorry - there is no way of the unit knowing you're in reverse.

Well just been on to Nextbase about the mythical rear cam and this is the response from Elliot

Thankyou for your email.

I am sorry that the 512GW Rear Cam has taken longer than expected but unfortunately factors outside our control (cable supplier issues and EMC Emissions approval) have delayed this release.

We have a mailing list for when it’s released, which we can add you to if you would like?

We are still awaiting official confirmation on a release date into Halfords, but when we do find out we will send an email out notifying customers.

Kind Regards

Elliott Blackburn

Well just been on to Nextbase about the mythical rear cam and this is the response from Elliot

Thankyou for your email.

I am sorry that the 512GW Rear Cam has taken longer than expected but unfortunately factors outside our control (cable supplier issues and EMC Emissions approval) have delayed this release.

We have a mailing list for when it’s released, which we can add you to if you would like?

We are still awaiting official confirmation on a release date into Halfords, but when we do find out we will send an email out notifying customers.

Kind Regards

Elliott Blackburn

Mythical rear cam indeed, One of many excuses for no release of the phantom rear cam, I'm beginning to wish I'd never bothered about Nextbase and used another brand. I supposee thats what I get for going el cheapo.

There is so much whining on here about Nextbase and how people regret buying the 512GW. I get it, I have been waiting too.

Tiffany could I be added to the mailing list?

Gave a 512gw as a Christmas gift on the promise there is a rear cam on its way. Have been watching this thread since then.... Tiffany please add me to the mailing list so I can deliver on a promise from 2017

Hello all - first post. Just buying a new car (Golf SE 1.4 Nav) and seeking a camera - decided on a Nextbase 550 which is currently 20% off at Halfords

Read through this thread seems like a rear camera is soon imminent, forthcomingly impendingly, inevitably loomingly probably unavoidably about to land.

Compliments to Tiffany who is doing her best to keep us informed.

Count me in! :)

Zero
Depends on the definition of "soon imminent".

Some of us have been waiting since October last year for the release of this imminent camera addition. Technically even longer dependant on purchase date of the front camera. Mine was in July last year. I was told at the time an October release was on the cards.

It's not looking good for an April release date now.

Last edited:
Hello all good Dashcammers,
I purchased a 512GW last October specifically due to the rear camera plug in option. Halfords said nothing of this 'unavailability'. After 6months of daily use and quiet patience I am about to return the unit to Halfords for a refund. I am of the opinion the unit was marketed using false promise and it is 'unfit for purpose'. It is also apparent that Halfords are now discounting the unit significantly and hence I wasted my money.

Back