Any more news on the rear plug in camera for 512gw ultra

You are indeed correct.

For my purchase, Argos did not divulge any information regarding the rear cam as they had zero information to hand about it. But Nextbase did.

Nextbase have only ever said that it was due out, never confirmed a solid date, this thread has been realitively regularly informed even though it's still not ready and on a couple of occasions the expected date has been pushed back. I'd have kept watch on this thread and waited for a confirmed date before purchasing if the two cam set-up is what you wanted especially if this is where you got the info from in the first place. And if necessary, gone for a different option if it was absolutely necessary.

Some companies don't even update anyone publically when they're delaying the release of products... ever!

Yes of course I'm still here - I have been a little quiet on this particular thread as I don't have any further information. I think it would make my apologies meaningless if I were to repeatedly say sorry each day/week.

We want to have the product ready as much (if not more so) than our customers - its in our best interests as front/rear combinations are becoming popular.

BUT

We certainly will not release a product that 1) may interfere with products already situated in the car and 2) doesn't communicate correctly with its counterpart.

There have been delays and we're really sorry to the customers waiting for it as it will be a great feature once complete, this is echoed in the interest the rear cam has had since the 512GWs release in May.

I can clearly see the frustrations the delays have caused hence taking email addresses/tags of people who are interested so you don't have to keep taking time to contact us.

Last edited:
The rear cam not being availabe yet is not my issue here.
My issue is being told by nextbase customer support that the unit would be available by end of January then a couple of weeks later by mid February then another reply two days later saying April release.
If there is no know release date just put it out there and let people know instead of hanging on waiting for the never coming release.
If nextbase knew they were going to sell a 2ch system the common sense would say to hold off release of 512gw untill rear cam was working with the main unit and the software was working.
Call the 612gw 512 and then the 2ch system 612

The rear cam not being availabe yet is not my issue here.
My issue is being told by nextbase customer support that the unit would be available by end of January then a couple of weeks later by mid February then another reply two days later saying April release.
If there is no know release date just put it out there and let people know instead of hanging on waiting for the never coming release.
If nextbase knew they were going to sell a 2ch system the common sense would say to hold off release of 512gw untill rear cam was working with the main unit and the software was working.
Call the 612gw 512 and then the 2ch system 612

I know, talk about frustrating! :(

for Christs people it due when its due. Much more pressing things going on in the world.
the-end-is-nigh.jpg

for Christs people it due when its due. Much more pressing things going on in the world.
the-end-is-nigh.jpg

Maybe! but I can't think of anything more "De"pressing then wasting £150 quid on a dashcam that I've been offered £60 quid for !!

not if it comes from above. Tiffany whens the upwards cam coming out?

I spoke to tech support yesterday. They said the rear cameras are in their office but are still going through lab testing. He said there are 8 indiviudal testings for any electrical products sold in the EU. They said they are about half way through these testings and said it's a long process to ensure the product is safe for consumer before release. No solid release date yet :( he took my email address and set me up for email notifications so hopefully we will have an official release date soon.

I spoke to tech support yesterday. They said the rear cameras are in their office but are still going through lab testing. He said there are 8 indiviudal testings for any electrical products sold in the EU. They said they are about half way through these testings and said it's a long process to ensure the product is safe for consumer before release. No solid release date yet :( he took my email address and set me up for email notifications so hopefully we will have an official release date soon.
Seem you get a different story from whoever you talk to you.

Tiffany said it was teething issues getting the cameras talking to each other and working properly. Now they are advising its down product testing to ensure it is safe for sale and a lengthy process.

I'm not sure nextbase even know what that truth is anymore sadly.

So according to the correspondence that suggests it could be several months away still.

Seem you get a different story from whoever you talk to you.

Tiffany said it was teething issues getting the cameras talking to each other and working properly. Now they are advising its down product testing to ensure it is safe for sale and a lengthy process.

I'm not sure nextbase even know what that truth is anymore sadly.

So according to the correspondence that suggests it could be several months away still.

This is a case of "you've all been Framed" I'm starting to see the funny side of this now, each time someone either emails or phones Next Base everybody gets a different story!! Rear Cam ............ what rear cam there's no such camera.
Got my 512gw for the use of the rear Cam last Oct next base told me the very same day the rear cam would be on Halfords shelves at the end of that month even said Halfords would have them a good six weeks before any other retailer ??
Time passed, December came I said after much debate on this forum next Base had lied!! but got put down by Certain Next Base Followers that they (Next Base) would know better then lie?
So hare we are today with February just on the doorstep, No Rear View Cam!!! Now we're hearing March / April ( April 1st maybe) ............. You couldn't put this story in a Childs book ! Sorry people but its Hilarious !!!!

I'm starting to see the funny side of this now, each time someone either emails or phones Next Base everybody gets a different story!!

would be a concern if everyone had been in contact with the same person, probably not the case though

would be a concern if everyone had been in contact with the same person, probably not the case though[/QUOTE

Doesn't matter if it ware the same person or different people no owns getting the same reply ?? So does next Base really know? Its Next Base's Tiffany whos really getting it in the neck, She can only tell us what their (Next Base) are telling her ! If anybody deserves medal its her !!

bringing new products to market is not as simple as people like to think, things can and do go wrong and timelines get shifted as a result, not making excuses for them but it's just a reality of the situation

bringing new products to market is not as simple as people like to think, things can and do go wrong and timelines get shifted as a result, not making excuses for them but it's just a reality of the situation
Totally understand things happen and things go wrong. However having an online presence on a forum like here requires things handling differently.

Tiffany needs to speak to someone higher up at Nextbase and escalate the unhappy customer issues for us.

That person higher up then needs to give a decent explanation as to what the hold up is and how long we are likely going to be waiting for it. They also need to inform every member of staff the exact thing to be telling anyone who is asking about the rear camera and ensure that everyone is told the same.

Then as a company they don't look so bad to their customers.

Its better to have some bad news than bad news of differing accounts.

Otherwise it is far better to not have an online presence on a forum and provide tech support in the usual way via direct email or telephone correspondence.

I would not be happy with the way this has played out online if I was that person who is higher up in nextbase. People would be getting either an arse kicking or retraining.

Personally an attack directed at Tiffany is uncalled for. Am I disappointed YES. Would I buy from Nextbase again Yes. The 512GW is a nice front facing camera good design and one day it will have its counter part of the rear facing camera. It's my belief that Tiffany would not pass on information that she has not at least asked for from relevant people concerned and unfortunately is now taking stick for something that is taking longer to bring into full production.
It probably would not hurt Nextbase to show at least something on it's main website about the rear facing camera to reduce the frustrations that are being vented here.

It probably would not hurt Nextbase to show at least something on it's main website about the rear facing camera to reduce the frustrations that are being vented here.

or that might make things worse as there are probably plenty of customers that haven't had any news about the rear camera that might then think it's just around the corner

True and to all extents we are all hoping that it is just around the corner. But both from a sales point of view A company can gauge from customers interest how many of the products it needs at launch to fulfil orders and Will also generate better communications with its customers.

Back