Any more news on the rear plug in camera for 512gw ultra

Hello all good Dashcammers,
I purchased a 512GW last October specifically due to the rear camera plug in option. Halfords said nothing of this 'unavailability'. After 6months of daily use and quiet patience I am about to return the unit to Halfords for a refund. I am of the opinion the unit was marketed using false promise and it is 'unfit for purpose'. It is also apparent that Halfords are now discounting the unit significantly and hence I wasted my money.

Yeah I also bought my 512GW in Oct, I was also told by email from Next base the rear cam would be released very shortly ( Email was posted on this group) like you I bought the 512GW for the use of the rear cam, it’s disgusting next base have told us so many different story’s regarding the release. I did have the option to re-sell my 512 but was only offered a price of a very substantial Loss so decided to continue to wait for the phantom rear cam. Like you I she’ll probably be having a word with Halfords even though it isn’t really their fault. This is all down to next base who should after six months have had this rear cam on the store shelf’s. It’s a joke .....

Hello all good Dashcammers It is also apparent that Halfords are now discounting the unit significantly and hence I wasted my money.
Halfords always have sales on and discount prices year in year out. Always best to check as they discount certain lines regularly through the year and then the price goes back up. You can't lay that blame on nextbase for Halfords having sales on. Most retailers do the same.

Last edited:
Like you I she’ll probably be having a word with Halfords even though it isn’t really their fault.
But it is them that you have your purchase contract with. If you mad 'a thing' about the rear cam at the time of purchase and they have not supplied one within their specified time, they are in breach of that contract. It is irrelevant that they can't actually get them.

But it is them that you have your purchase contract with. If you mad 'a thing' about the rear cam at the time of purchase and they have not supplied one within their specified time, they are in breach of that contract. It is irrelevant that they can't actually get them.
When I bought my 512gw at Halfords, I specifically asked about the rear camera as it was a key consideration for SUV use. I was told by the Halfords assistant that the Nextbase representative had spoken with him about the addition of a rear camera which re-inforced my decision to make the purchase. I may be taking my 4 month old unused 512gw back for a refund very soon if positive news is delayed beyond April

It would be a nice gesture to have a reduced introductory price on the rear cam for those guys who have waited months. I only just got my 512gw this week, but I do hope this saga does not drag on for many more months.

Please add me to the mailing list too Tiffany.

I recently bought the 512gw with the intention of adding the rear camera when it is available, Please add me to the mailing list Tiffany....

Bought my 512GW last week. I've been reading the forum, and am hoping that the problems you guys are having will soon be resolved, ie rear cam, losing the LO vids etc.

Tiffany, please add me to the mailing list for updates; thanks :)

Hi Tiffany please add me to the mailing list for 512gw rear camera update. Thanks :cool:

Yeah I also bought my 512GW in Oct, I was also told by email from Next base the rear cam would be released very shortly ( Email was posted on this group) like you I bought the 512GW for the use of the rear cam, it’s disgusting next base have told us so many different story’s regarding the release. I did have the option to re-sell my 512 but was only offered a price of a very substantial Loss so decided to continue to wait for the phantom rear cam. Like you I she’ll probably be having a word with Halfords even though it isn’t really their fault. This is all down to next base who should after six months have had this rear cam on the store shelf’s. It’s a joke .....
I agree with you. Where is that rear camera?

I had an email from Nextbase yesterday telling me the rear camera would be available in April via Halfords
We are 12 days into April now and still no word on its availability.

Maybe they meant April 2019???

We are 12 days into April now and still no word on its availability.

Maybe they meant April 2019???
I hope they are not playing a cruel joke on us, by releasing the rear camera with a new dashcam. They have managed to produce the duo dashcam so why are we still waiting?

Just a thought, but as the 512GW already has the connector port for the rear cam, I'd guess it probably has the software already installed too? If so, would it be possible to connect a "standard" webcam or something similar?

Won't work with a webcam, it will be following a standard used by the chipset platform though and may work with other rear cams that follow the same standard

Just been looking at Halfords web page, they have produce their own front and back dashcam. BUT NO NEXTBASE PLUG IN REAR CAMERA. Perhaps it's invisible and that why we can't see it.

Evening all.

New user who unsurprisingly bought the 512gw at Christmas under the guise that the rear camera was about to be released in the new year, yet here we are 4 months on and by the looks of it I'm clearly not the only victim of nextbase marketing ploy.

How can you constantly push the marker on this camera month in month out is beyond me.

Got mine in August last year, was told 2 to 3 months around November 2017 for the rear cam, November came and went, a online chat with them told me March, then it changed to April according to posts here, looks like that ain't going to happen either. No your not alone in this ploy.

Back