USA Lawmakers Move One Step Closer Toward Ending Daylight Saving Time Change (permanently)

Well that's a surprise to me. I think they are missing a trick though. They should have mandated that every nation has its own fixed local time, set to real time (ie midday is at 12:00) but there will be a new time zone called EU Time, or EU Business Time, set one hour ahead of Germany real time. This will have the desired benefit of pressuring businesses to set office hours symmetrically around midday, "saving" daylight.

And the Eurozone is probably one place where it could be made to work.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well that's a surprise to me. I think they are missing a trick though. They should have mandated that every nation has its own fixed local time, set to real time (ie midday is at 12:00) but there will be a new time zone called EU Time, or EU Business Time, set one hour ahead of Germany real time. This will have the desired benefit of pressuring businesses to set office hours symmetrically around midday, "saving" daylight.

And the Eurozone is probably one place where it could be made to work.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
That is not going to work in Spain, unless the EU bans siesta time (2PM to 5PM).

With science like that, we could stop global warming just by moving the clocks forward a couple hours! I hope that's from a school newspaper with student editors. Any real newspaper editor would / should be fired for letting a stupid piece like that run.

KuoH

But what if he's right?! :smuggrin:

With science like that, we could stop global warming just by moving the clocks forward a couple hours! I hope that's from a school newspaper with student editors. Any real newspaper editor would / should be fired for letting a stupid piece like that run.

KuoH

But haven't you heard?....... , according to our President, global warming is a hoax. Any real newspaper editor would/should ............:(

more time to play golf I guess
No, a permanent change to DST is effectively the same as a change of timezone, and you don't get an extra hour to play golf for each timezone you move towards the west!

Trump seem to have many enemies, none probably bigger than him self when it all come down to the brass tacks.

seeing some pictures online of American freshwater reservoirs before and now, do make me worry some on behalf of my American internet friends.

Trump seem to have many enemies, none probably bigger than him self when it all come down to the brass tacks.

seeing some pictures online of American freshwater reservoirs before and now, do make me worry some on behalf of my American internet friends.

Did someone say fresh water reservoirs? Here's a fact. The State of Maryland has no natural lakes. We dammed up all the rivers to make reservoirs. This way we don't have to worry about droughts caused by that extra hour of day light, once it happens year round.

We Danes get all of our water from wells in the ground, and many get closed every year due to pesticides in the water in too high levels.
I am thinking maybe we should have desalination plants, and maybe power them by some of the power from all our wind turbines, maybe split hydrogen too, for use in vehicles..
I am pretty sure good drinking water from wells will be a issue sooner or later,,,,,, so also on this matter glad i haven't fathered any children myself.

This map is Danish municipalities and the color codes + numbers are the number of polluted wells in that area.

Sk%C3%A6rmbillede-116.png

Tap water here are not chlorinated, that should not be needed.

Last edited:
Trump: Making daylight saving time permanent is 'OK with me' - ABC News -

https://abcn.ws/2Ce0oFd via @abc

I couldn't care less whether they make it year-round DST or year-round standard time. Businesses and organizations to whom sunlight matters will adapt their hours. For the rest, it's meaningless. You get the same amount of daylight no matter how the clocks are set.

I'd just love to do away with the twice-yearly ritual of resetting all the clocks.

Richard

Either way would be fine with me too, if we can stop resetting clocks twice a year. I would prefer just going back to standard time year-round. Being a morning person I don't particularly like dawn being after 8 AM in the winter. We tried year-round DST in the '70s during the so-called "energy crisis" but they changed that back to twice a year clock diddling after people experienced late daylight in winter and didn't like sending the kids off to school in the dark.
We made it just fine the first 16 years of my life on standard time in Texas until they made it nation-wide in 1967. I hope I live long enough to see it ended.

DST is a farce. You save nothing and you gain nothing. You have to readjust your sleep a whole hour all at once which is stressful and more than a few people oversleep and are late to work causing problems. And you have to reset your clocks. The only thing it's good for is as a reminder to change your smoke detector batteries.

I don't care where they decide to set the clocks as long as they leave them alone afterward. If it's not done Federally I may get my wish anyway as my State has a bill in progress taking us out of that idiotic system and most of those I've spoken to are in favor of it. Two States already have no DST and I'll be glad if SC makes it three :cool:

Phil

DST is a farce. You save nothing and you gain nothing. You have to readjust your sleep a whole hour all at once which is stressful and more than a few people oversleep and are late to work causing problems. And you have to reset your clocks. The only thing it's good for is as a reminder to change your smoke detector batteries.

I don't care where they decide to set the clocks as long as they leave them alone afterward. If it's not done Federally I may get my wish anyway as my State has a bill in progress taking us out of that idiotic system and most of those I've spoken to are in favor of it. Two States already have no DST and I'll be glad if SC makes it three :cool:

Phil
I don't understand why SC and Texas ever had it, even up here in southern UK it is not really necessary, but by the time I get up to northern UK it is definitely desirable, although it is useful in the winter rather than the summer so it should be a winter adjustment, not a summer adjustment, in the summer it never gets dark up there, plenty of daylight! So it seems to me the only USA state where it would actually be useful is Alaska, since that is as far north as UK, and some of it is even further north.

...as my State has a bill in progress taking us out of that idiotic system and most of those I've spoken to are in favor of it. Two States already have no DST and I'll be glad if SC makes it three :cool:...
For a little bit of irony I believe there are currently two different efforts going on in the Michigan legislature regarding DST - one to eliminate it and the other to make it year 'round. Knowing our elected representatives they'll probably compromise by moving the clocks 30 minutes. :banghead:

Back