Has anyone laid their hands on a "70mai Dash Cam Pro" yet?

when i go to setting (all in chinese):
1. Wifi information
2. Collision sensitivity (high, low, off)
3. Formatting SD card
4. System time
5. Screen off time
6. Advance settings
- Turn on or off wifi
- video coding (h.264 or h.265
- resolution (1280x720 and 1920x1080 )
- button sound volume
- dash cam turn on sound
- parking monitor (on/off, sensitivity, entering parking monitor time)
- time lapse? (not even sure how to turn it on)
- ADAS (need gps module to turn it on - I don't have it)
- e-dog? radar detector? (also need gps module)
7. System update
8. Factory reset
9. About (1.0.1 version of software)

Tnx for this! And there is an app working with it, is that true? I truly hope they quickly come up with firmware updates then. It would be a shame if they advertise with a higher resolution than it actually has.

Has anyone laid their hands on a "70mai Dash Cam Pro" yet?
https://www.70mai.com/en/DashCamPro/
4.7eb00c8.jpg

That's no good, I want my tent included within the protection shield...
If that is as far as the shield can reach then I will sleep in the car!

4.7eb00c8.jpg

That's no good, I want my tent included within the protection shield...
If that is as far as the shield can reach then I will sleep in the car!

Yea, this picture is a bit silly. It implies that there is a 360 degree parking guard option. Looks like a cozy tent though.

I am also afraid that the marketing team of 70mai is bigger than the development team if the unit Wisnia6666 has is representative for the rest.

yes definitely. I don't know why they advertise it as 2592*1944 everywhere. Maybe there will be firmware update soon. But as for now it is only 1280x720 and 1920x1080

View attachment 41955

I just received my 70mai Pro (Chinese version) today.

Only the Chinese version of the 70mai app can add the 70mai Pro at the moment. The English version from Play Store doesn't have such options.

Untitled.png

You'll need to change the video encoding to H.265 in order to record in 2592x1944 as H.264 only go up to 1080p

Untitled.png

ADAS & the e-dog needs the GPS module to work. The e-dog is like a radar detector for GPS, car speed and etc but only works in China if not mistaken.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
You'll need to change the video encoding to H.265 in order to record in 2592x1944 as H.264 only go up to 1080p

View attachment 41966

I just received my 70mai Pro (Chinese version) today and I don't have the GPS version

Oh I didn't know I need to change coding. Thanks I will do it then and check quality.
For GPS you need to have module for that. It is not about the version I guess. You need to buy module separately. Unfortunately I didn't see it yet available. Did you manage to pair your camera with app? And if yes can you write manual :D coz I couldn't :D

Tnx for this! And there is an app working with it, is that true? I truly hope they quickly come up with firmware updates then. It would be a shame if they advertise with a higher resolution than it actually has.

Yes there is 70mai app. There is Chinese version and International version available in google Play but it only shows the previous version of camera in pairing options. I think that's why I can not connect it with app.

Oh I didn't know I need to change coding. Thanks I will do it then and check quality.
For GPS you need to have module for that. It is not about the version I guess. You need to buy module separately. Unfortunately I didn't see it yet available. Did you manage to pair your camera with app? And if yes can you write manual :D coz I couldn't :D

Yes there is 70mai app. There is Chinese version and International version available in google Play but it only shows the previous version of camera in pairing options. I think that's why I can not connect it with app.

At the moment only the Chinese version of the 70mai app can add the 70mai Pro.

Untitled.png

All I did was create a 70mai account to sign into the app and add the 70mai Pro. The app was mostly in English. Much easier to understand than the interface on the 70mai Pro.

At the moment only the Chinese version of the 70mai app can add the 70mai Pro.

View attachment 41969

All I did was create a 70mai account to sign into the app and add the 70mai Pro. The app was mostly in English. Much easier to understand than the interface on the 70mai Pro.

that's strange coz I downloaded both app from google Play and Chinese version. I can see now there are two versions of chinese app. I downloaded the second one and now it is working properly. Thanks very much :)

Thanks everyone for your pictures and information! Didn't think of the coding, good to hear it's been cleared out now.

I hope you can both give comments on the quality of the camera. And I also hope the English app will get support soon.

Here are my videos in 1944p. My review will be up soon.

Very nice. Thank you for the upload. It definitely looks better than my Mini 0807. Especially the night videos are better. Can you check in the video files what is the FPS? The videos of the evening look pretty much like daytime, pretty nice. What is your personal opinion so far in usability & image quality?

Very nice. Thank you for the upload. It definitely looks better than my Mini 0807. Especially the night videos are better. Can you check in the video files what is the FPS? The videos of the evening look pretty much like daytime, pretty nice. What is your personal opinion so far in usability & image quality?

1944p is 30fps. Today going to record 1440p. I think should be 30fps also.

ATM I think the night video a bit dark like the Mijia dashcam. Maybe this is due to the firmware maybe?

At 1st glance the daytime videos look very nice. I can see a slight jumpiness to fast moving traffic but this is an indication of a fast shutter speed. For me, I can live with that. I'd rather lose some smoothness and have super sharp stills than have a totally fluid video with blurred stills when it matters. I'd live with more jumpiness! However, the present does look to be a good compromise and does appear to hold up well in lower light evening conditions.

At night, it looks good, but I noticed even large signs are blurred and plates even close up are irretrievable. That's not unique to this camera though. Without some comparisons, it's difficult to say if this is better than eg a Mobius Maxi (similar resolution) or original Mobius at night or an A119 S to name some of the better low light cameras. However, it's certainly not bad to say the least.

Here are my videos in 1944p.
I really don't understand why to record as 4:3 aspect ratio in 2018? Does anybody still have a 4:3 TV?
For me this 1944p resolution is useless and good only as advertising and maybe to cheat some people which will expect to record a 3440x1944p video 16:9. Why chinese companies are still using this poor tricks to sell? For sure the titles on online stores will include the 1944p word as a good reason to buy the camera.

Some titles examples from online stores right now:
Xiaomi 70mai pro Car DVR Smart Dash Cam Pro 500 Million Pixels Parking Monitoring 1944P Video Recording
Xiaomi 70 Mai PRO 1944P HD car camera Car Recorder Parking monitoring 140 degree wide angle
XIAOMI 70mai Dash Cam Pro US RU Version 1944P HD Car DVR Camera SONY IMX335 Sensor 140 Degree FOV
XIAOMI 70MAI PRO Dashcam 1944P 2.0 inch Display Dual USB SONY IMX335 140 Degree

70mai is a good camera which seems to record with good quality and it does not need the 1944p stupid advertising.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I really don't understand why to record as 4:3 aspect ratio in 2018? Does anybody still have a 4:3 TV?
For me this 1944p resolution is useless and good only as advertising and maybe to cheat some people which will expect to record a 3440x1944p video 16:9. Why chinese companies are still using this poor tricks to sell? For sure the titles on online stores will include the 1944p word as a good reason to buy the camera.

Some titles examples from online stores right now:
Xiaomi 70mai pro Car DVR Smart Dash Cam Pro 500 Million Pixels Parking Monitoring 1944P Video Recording
Xiaomi 70 Mai PRO 1944P HD car camera Car Recorder Parking monitoring 140 degree wide angle
XIAOMI 70mai Dash Cam Pro US RU Version 1944P HD Car DVR Camera SONY IMX335 Sensor 140 Degree FOV
XIAOMI 70MAI PRO Dashcam 1944P 2.0 inch Display Dual USB SONY IMX335 140 Degree

70mai is a good camera which seems to record with good quality and it does not need the 1944p stupid advertising.

enjoy,
Mtz
So that you can record that Russian meteor while it is still high up in the sky :)

I find that 32:9 aspect ration is about right for dashcam video, 16:9 is just a waste of bitrate and memory card space, 4:3 is from the days of vacuum tubes.

I was satisfied with the 21:9 of Mini 0806. The 2.33 is more close to the cinema standard compared to 3.55 (32:9).

enjoy,
Mtz

I still have an analogue tv. About 2 or 3 years ago my 19" tv died and was replaced with a 24" led 16:9 low energy use tv. The other old tv is there for rare or occasional use.
I am not sure of you could play Atari 2600 games on a newer tv.

They just stretch the picture to fit unless you specify native or 4:3 resolution (usually by default they're set to Stretch or anamorphic).

Stretching picture will result in a distorted image. You better crop top and bottom. Still disappointed about this Xiaomi strategy, I had much more expectations from them compared to other chinese manufacturers. In the future I will be much more careful when buying their other products, I just hate to be cheated by false specifications. Maybe for other people is not important, but for me is.

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't think they stretched the image. See below 1944p vs 1440p screen capture from the video.

NO20180925-172151-000241.MP4_snapshot_00.00.875.jpg

NO20180925-172201-000242.MP4_snapshot_00.00.500.jpg

Thanks for the snapshots.
As we can see in above snapshots they are cropping the picture up and down from the 4:3 image (1440p) to the 16:9 image (1080p).
But the biggest surprise for me is that even the 1440p picture is 4:3. How stupid can be this?
If you will look at the GIF comparison the 16:9 image is distorted a little, so instead of cropping so much is needed they are cropping and then resizing until they reach 1080p. Why to distort an correct image? Also seems that the processing of the image from 4:3 to 16:9 is affecting the image quality.
70mai pro image.gif

This is my crop from the 16:9 image to the 4:3 image, the one without 70mai logo so you can see how they should crop the image without distortion
70mai pro image 2.gif 70mai - crop OK.jpg

Also that big orange logo is too big, too evident, I hope it can be removed from the settings.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back