VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Hi again,
I just uploaded some clips filmed using only front camera - 60 FPS & 24 Mbps:

Here's the link to MP4 files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qfRCL8-T1yzIUi98e0u3nu5sTskj5MUO
Thanks for the RAW footage, even on these rainy night and dull cloudy morning clips the increased 24Mbps bitrate (average 25.2Mbps) is noticeably better in detail over VIOFO 16Mbps. If possible try to record some bright sunny day footage at 24Mbps, then connect Rear cam and repeat at 16Mbps. It will be interesting to see 26Mbps quality in single camera mode like the A119S once the limit is unlocked.

It's going to take a while before we can see the sun again, but as soon as I have the chance I will do it :)

Wow the 24mb is so clear, A119s clear. With both cams connected my night footage looks muddy in the dark areas. Still good but not that good.

Great mods BTW

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the RAW footage, even on these rainy night and dull cloudy morning clips the increased 24Mbps bitrate (average 25.2Mbps) is noticeably better in detail over VIOFO 16Mbps. If possible try to record some bright sunny day footage at 24Mbps, then connect Rear cam and repeat at 16Mbps. It will be interesting to see 26Mbps quality in single camera mode like the A119S once the limit is unlocked.

Is this what you wanted? https://streamable.com/rxzog (I do a loop around so the glare goes away, yes I know I need a CPL)
That's without the rear camera plugged in. 60fps, HIGH bitrate (mine just says low or high).
Here is with the rear camera plugged in and still set at HIGH bitrate: https://streamable.com/cr8nz

Last edited:
Is this what you wanted? https://streamable.com/rxzog (I do a loop around so the glare goes away, yes I know I need a CPL)
That's without the rear camera plugged in. 60fps, HIGH bitrate (mine just says low or high).
Here is with the rear camera plugged in and still set at HIGH bitrate: uploading now
Thanks for the A129 4Uh footage, that is an excellent area for video testing. The streaming view looks like lower bitrate, the only 'downloadable/save as' file ended up being 7Mbps, prefer RAW files for IQ assessment. Would very much like to see more test footage from that street. Can you share using DropBox or any other cloud storage?

Thanks for the A129 4Uh footage, that is an excellent area for video testing. The streaming view looks like lower bitrate, the only 'downloadable/save as' file ended up being 7Mbps, prefer RAW files for IQ assessment. Would very much like to see more test footage from that street. Can you share using DropBox or any other cloud storage?

Uploading to DropBox now, I should be back with links in an hour

Front w/ no rear cam: https://www.dropbox.com/s/23qm8652rxoa2wz/2018_1125_110749_004F.MP4?dl=0
Front w/ rear cam plugged in: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry8h6wiv4ikeqas/2018_1125_111024_007F.MP4?dl=0

Edit: WDR off

Last edited:
5 files using 4Uh.

Untitled-X3.png

WDR Off, CPL On, @ 60fps @ 1920x1080p, Bitrate High.

RAW 1 F1

RAW 2 F2

RAW 3 F3

RAW 4 F4

RAW 5 F5

5 files using 4Uh.

Untitled-X3.png

WDR Off, CPL On, @ 60fps @ 1920x1080p, Bitrate High.

RAW 1 F1

RAW 2 F2

RAW 3 F3

RAW 4 F4

RAW 5 F5
Thanks for the 25.2Mbps A129 4Uh single camera footage, very good detail using 60fps and modified bitrate. Suggest change Lens angle 1/2 click up to reduce blown-out sky for realistic view. Clips F1 & F3 are good examples of noticeably better image quality over anything 16Mbps could record. Wait for sunny day to record more clips, night clips after rain stops look amazing. well done.
Was going to create a vivid color version but 4Uh saturation looks high enough unless anyone requests more intense color.

Uploading to DropBox now, I should be back with links in an hour

Front w/ no rear cam: https://www.dropbox.com/s/23qm8652rxoa2wz/2018_1125_110749_004F.MP4?dl=0
Front w/ rear cam plugged in: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry8h6wiv4ikeqas/2018_1125_111024_007F.MP4?dl=0

Edit: WDR off
Great A129 4Uh 25Mbps vs 16Mbps footage, that circle route is perfect 360 sun angles, too bad there wasn't any traffic for plate readability test. There is a noticeable difference between the clips need more buildings or traffic to show it off. These clips confirm 4Uh is high end of sharpness and many will prefer slightly lower value once the new Sharpness 3 level option is added to Menu. If you stop in front of home or fence structure with some distance objects in background it should aid IQ assessments, I just pause video to screenshot and compare. Thanks for taking the time to record and upload these clips.

The A129 is capable of recording 28Mbps or higher in single camera mode,
plan to create modified firmware for Dual Cams > Front=20Mbps@60/30fps + Rear=12Mbps@30fps and single Cam MOD > Front=25Mbps@60/30fps
Code:
                               Firmware v1.50B                  Modified FW 4Uh
                          1080@60fps     1080@30fps         1080@60fps     1080@30fps
Menu                      Single Cam      Dual Cam          Single Cam      Dual Cam
Settings                    Front       Front    Rear         Front       Front     Rear
Bit Rate Low               20.1Mbps     10.2     10.1        24.6Mbps      10.1     10.2
Bit Rate High                20.1       16.3     16.2          24.6        16.4     16.3
BR Low Wifi 2.4Ghz           20.1        8.0      7.0          20.1         8.1      7.1
BR High Wifi 2.4GHz + APP    20.1       16.3     16.4          20.1        16.4     16.2

Installed 4Uh last night. Recorded journey home just fine. This morning it recorded the short trip to drop off kids at school (08:40-08:41). However a few minutes later it failed to record any of my 50min drive to work (approx 08:50 to 09:40), which is a shame as I was looking forward to reviewing a good test drive through some backlit trees. I then swapped the USB cable into a powerbank and started parking mode recording without any issues (09:46-onwards).

1543327848449.png

I don't have beeps enabled, but I think I will turn them on now, or at least look behind my RVM to see if the camera is on & recording before I set off.

My A129 is not hardwired. It is plugged into a 5-way 12v-to-USB adapter. My three other cameras plugged into the same adapter all recorded the drive to work, so I don't think it's a power supply problem.

Last edited:
Installed 4Uh last night. Recorded journey home just fine. This morning it recorded the short trip to drop off kids at school (08:40-08:41). However a few minutes later it failed to record any of my 50min drive to work (approx 08:50 to 09:40), which is a shame as I was looking forward to reviewing a good test drive through some backlit trees. I then swapped the USB cable into a powerbank and started parking mode recording without any issues (09:46-onwards).

View attachment 43330

I don't have beeps enabled, but I think I will turn them on now, or at least look behind my RVM to see if the camera is on & recording before I set off.

My A129 is not hardwired. It is plugged into a 5-way 12v-to-USB adapter. My three other cameras plugged into the same adapter all recorded the drive to work, so I don't think it's a power supply problem.
Probably power issue, test by disconnecting all other cameras to see if it repeats, always check all connections and never use the right-angle miniUSB adapter its junk. You may need to buy a USB Tester similar to one I used in Power Bank video to determine voltage drops on each USB port, its very handy in my workshop. The shutdown/standby minimum is near 4.7 volts and 0.7 Amps higher is better. I'll post my A129 power requirement video soon.

The A129 Duo Front and Rear camera will either have Lens1 set or Lens2 set. This new A129 information will be revealed by Dec.25 2018.

Lens 1 = 130 FOV + metal base + supports original CPL Filter + coated reduces some reflection and slightly changes color tone and slightly darkens image. (approx 125-135 Diagonal FOV)

Lens 2 = 140 FOV + metal base + wide angle + requires larger beveled CPL Filter to prevent vignetting + uncoated brighter image. Many owners prefer the original wide angle brighter uncoated F1.6 Lens 2.

DCTeam-A119S-Lens1+Lens2.png
A129Duo_Front+Rear_Lens1+Sensor.jpg

Probably power issue, test by disconnecting all other cameras to see if it repeats, always check all connections and never use the right-angle miniUSB adapter its junk. You may need to buy a USB Tester similar to one I used in Power Bank video to determine voltage drops on each USB port, its very handy in my workshop. The shutdown/standby minimum is near 4.7 volts and 0.7 Amps higher is better. I'll post my A129 power requirement video soon.

I've been using the same 5-port USB adapter for all my dashcam testing for more than 2 years including the A119 then A129 for over a year.

I do have a USB tester so I will try that.

I did notice one change in the latest FW which is possibly the issue - there is now a 0s boot delay option which I do remember setting last night. Since my car has a diesel engine and it was a cold morning I suspect that was the problem.

I've been using the same 5-port USB adapter for all my dashcam testing for more than 2 years including the A119 then A129 for over a year.

I do have a USB tester so I will try that.

I did notice one change in the latest FW which is possibly the issue - there is now a 0s boot delay option which I do remember setting last night. Since my car has a diesel engine and it was a cold morning I suspect that was the problem.
Diesel engine warms the glow plugs so Delay Start = 10 seconds or even 15s especially on cold winter days. Most owners use 5 seconds setting but it depends on vehicle and region. Almost everyone wants instant on for all devices and in this one case its not possible, longer = stability.

Diesel engine warms the glow plugs so Delay Start = 10 seconds or even 15s especially on cold winter days. Most owners use 5 seconds setting but it depends on vehicle and region. Almost everyone wants instant on for all devices and in this one case its not possible, longer = stability.
Yes, I agree. I was surprised to see the new option in the menu so I decided to test it.

Actually I remember reading recently that someone else had a problem with the camera not working even though there appeared to be power to the camera. That could be the same boot delay setting.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. I was surprised to see the new option in the menu so I decided to test it.

Actually I remember reading recently that someone else had a problem with the camera not working even though there appeared to be power to the camera. That could be the same bit delay setting.

0 sec delay would be an issue, I'm not sure why they would even add that, trying to think of a case where it would be needed and not be problematic

0 sec delay would be an issue, I'm not sure why they would even add that, trying to think of a case where it would be needed and not be problematic
Maybe on electric cars?

yeah maybe that's it, I don't know that I'd go adding a setting just for electric cars that could potentially be a problem for 95% of the user base if they used that setting though
Yeah, I agree. It seems like a lot of issues were solved/diminished when the delay feature was added. Allowing users to bypass it may bring those issues back. I haven’t checked, but hopefully 0 isn’t the default setting, though I’m sure even if it wasn’t, lots of users are going to pick it. They’ll want the camera to start as fast as possible, not realizing that it could cause issues elsewhere.

Back