Viofo A129 Duo duplicating/jumping frames on rear camera/Firmware Bug Discovered

I will test it next weekend if you provide a link.

A129 Duo frame doubling occurs with all firmware since day 1. Once the rear camera is disconnected frame doubling disappears using any firmware version. During video frame testing always disable WDR which combines video frames and disable Parking Mode.

A129 Duo frame doubling occurs with all firmware since day 1. Once the rear camera is disconnected frame doubling disappears using any firmware version. During video frame testing always disable WDR which combines video frames and disable Parking Mode.

Exactly! I have tested till now,every firmware starting with v1.3.And yes with the rear camera disconnected,all problems disappear and front camera records smoothly,beautiful quality at 60fps.In my tests WDR,Parking Mode and all unnecessary things are disabled,I even tried with GPS off...makes no difference.

Exactly! I have tested till now,every firmware starting with v1.3.And yes with the rear camera disconnected,all problems disappear and front camera records smoothly,beautiful quality at 60fps.In my tests WDR,Parking Mode and all unnecessary things are disabled,I even tried with GPS off...makes no difference.
Back in the old days @gse posted long ago about Frames per second - FPS and chipsets. He correctly identified a slight video frame issue that could explain a possible cause of the video frame doubling. I don't have the old thread link but someone discovered a timing issue similar to Front camera = 30fps and REAR = 29.9fps and approx. every 90 frames frames doubled to match 30fps. My opinion is the A129 Novatek NT96663 chipset just cannot handle two 1080p 30fps streams without doubling/overlap.
None of this matters now that A129 Pro Duo 4K is near and everyone Upgrades, according to the "Pro" Alpha/Beta testers there is zero frame doubling from rear camera footage using more powerful chipset.

And you're telling us this info 1 month after we bought the A129? :D
I still hope there is a elegant software fix for it.
The A129 Duo will remain the Best 1080p resolution low power, low heat, dual camera system compared to the new A129 Pro 4K resolution with higher power drain, higher heat chipset and sensor.
I just hope the A129 Pro includes the non-IR 180 degree rotating Lens I tested in December 2018 which remains the best Rear camera for colour, clarity and focus.

Back in the old days @gse posted long ago about Frames per second - FPS and chipsets. He correctly identified a slight video frame issue that could explain a possible cause of the video frame doubling. I don't have the old thread link but someone discovered a timing issue similar to Front camera = 30fps and REAR = 29.9fps and approx. every 90 frames frames doubled to match 30fps. My opinion is the A129 Novatek NT96663 chipset just cannot handle two 1080p 30fps streams without doubling/overlap.
None of this matters now that A129 Pro Duo 4K is near and everyone Upgrades, according to the "Pro" Alpha/Beta testers there is zero frame doubling from rear camera footage using more powerful chipset.

Deep in my soul(haha),I knew this issue is related to the chipset processing power..Also I knew it from the silence from @viofo team on this thread.I think is unfixable,the only fix maybe is lowering the FPS to less than 30 on both cameras..I want to buy the A129 Pro,but I will definitely wait to see some real life footages..when I'm absolutely sure this version is working fine I will buy it and swap the A129Duo to my old car.

Wouldn't the solution be for a firmware update to lower both the front and rear frame rate to 29.9 FPS to eliminate frame duplication? True NTSC is 29.97 anyhow. Or is this not possible?

Ultimately an extra frame every 90 frames isn't a deal breaker, but be nice not to have the issue either.

Last edited:
So apparently Bill from Viofo and manufacturer are mum. No one wants to admit the flaw. NtSC = 29.97 frames a second. Don't see why both cameras are unable to run at the same frame rate, unless the processor is incapable of handling. Which would be an issue that Viofo should have rectified at some point. Being the camera has been out a while.

@HonestReview ,what I really don't understand is why the Street Guardian SG9663DC dual camera wich have the same chipset as Viofo A129 doesn't have this problem..Well I know it's a more expensive camera,but it have exactly the same chipset and sensor..How they managed to make it work so smooth?
Here you have a YT link where you can see some footages,look at 6min45sec on that bridge,it's impressive:

Last edited:
@HonestReview ,what I really don't understand is why the Street Guardian SG9663DC dual camera wich have the same chipset as Viofo A129 doesn't have this problem..Well I know it's a more expensive camera,but it have exactly the same chipset and sensor..How they managed to make it work so smooth?
Here you have a YT link where you can see some footages,look at 6min45sec on that bridge,it's impressive:

If the Street guardian uses identical hardware, then maybe the framerate could be adjusted int he Viofo to eliminate the dupe frames. But since Viofo hasn't responded here, I'm not sure what can be done.....

Have you tried emailing Bill at viofo?

Do we actually know that the SG is perfect? Maybe someone could post a raw file and I'll get ffmpeg to check it...

I would like to check too,from the link I've posted seems to be perfectly fine,I would be happy with that on A129 Duo..

Last edited:
it is possible to adjust this

I directed Bill from Viofo to this thread. This is a topic Viofo needs to step up and address. The Viofo 129 PRO is not out yet, and the A129 Duo is the most advanced camera on the market.

So if we all have a problem, then please correct. This is either 1 of 2 things:

1. Processor Limitation and The Street Guardian has same issue.

2. Firmware issue where the frame rate can be corrected.

Think we deserve a response.

Back