Viofo A129 Duo duplicating/jumping frames on rear camera/Firmware Bug Discovered

I see it with naked eyes and is annoying.Of course this will not affect to capture an event but the footage is not smooth,is lagging every 3 seconds like a cheap camera..

Only saw you mention trying another Samsung card, if you've tried other brands then likely it's not the card then

I see the problem, too in Virtual Dub. Dupe frames. Thinking this is a systemic issue on all A129 Cameras...

I'm running 1.5 firmware.

I see it with naked eyes and is annoying.Of course this will not affect to capture an event but the footage is not smooth,is lagging every 3 seconds like a cheap camera..

I watched the same clip. I can't notice any jerkiness or duping of audio.....Watching in VLC Player.

I will test one of the latest high bitrate @BCHobbyist's MODs. If it turns out that the rate of duplicate frames is the same, it is clearly not a SD-card / hardware issue, but most likely a software bug that could be fixed by @viofo in a future firmware release.

I will test one of the latest high bitrate @BCHobbyist's MODs. If it turns out that the rate of duplicate frames is the same, it is clearly not a SD-card / hardware issue, but most likely a software bug that could be fixed by @viofo in a future firmware release.
I have tested with the modded firmware too(1.8 and 1.9),and the problem is exactly the same.

I have tested with the modded firmware too(1.8 and 1.9),and the problem is exactly the same.

I watched 2019_0629_101658_006R.MP4 in VLC Player and can't see any jerky playback. Maybe my eyes aren't as good as yours? However, I noticed in VDUB frames 79 & 80 are dupes.

Let us know. I can't see the jerky playback that gabilondo77 mentioned while playing clips in VLC. But I did noticed his frames 79 and 80 are duped on 2019_0629_101658_006R.MP4 .

Really not sure if this is a hardware issue caused by the length of the cable or something software related. Quite honestly, I'm not too upset. The camera did its job capturing an accident I was in and the video is decent enough.

Only downside is these dupe frames take up space.

I watched the same clip. I can't notice any jerkiness or duping of audio.....Watching in VLC Player.
Well I see it very well.Front camera is also randomly affected.Tried with VLC,MPC and WMP..audio file is ok.Only the front camera(when rear one is disconnected),works perfectly fine and have awesome quality.If I knew that from beginning I would bought only front camera version.I think the chipset of A129 is struggling recording with 2 cameras,because only with the front one is recording perfectly fine.I hope I'm wrong about this and is a software bug that can be fixed..

Last edited:
Well I see it very well.Front camera is also randomly affected.Tried with VLC,MPC and WMP..audio file is ok.Only the front camera(when rear one is disconnected),works perfectly fine and have awesome quality.If I knew that from beginning I would bought only front camera version.I think the chipset of A129 is struggling recording with 2 cameras,because only with the front one is recording perfectly fine.I hope I'm wrong about this and is a software bug that can be fixed..

Difficult to say without further testing. But I would suspect this affects everyone's A129 Duos. I would have never noticed if I didn't load into Virtual Dub2. I still can't see any jerkiness on your video in VLC. But, maybe that's me.

I'm happy with the Viofo A129 Duo. But definitely would like the issue corrected. All and all, I just need it to be recording in the event of an accident. Which it did and worked. Trust me, an insurance agent or police officer won't care about dupe frames.

How are you finding the pro? Have you uploaded any footage? I'm close to buying the a129 duo but trying to hold out for the pro but they keep putting the release back. Sorry of topic I know.

How are you finding the pro? Have you uploaded any footage? I'm close to buying the a129 duo but trying to hold out for the pro but they keep putting the release back. Sorry of topic I know.
Basically, it is the same as the standard Duo, except for the 4K resolution.

Do you have a regular A129 Duo that you can check for the issue? Is the PRO the 4K version?
Not one that will run the standard firmware, so I don't think I can do a sensible test. Yes the Pro is 4K.

Using MOD 2wk, 22 Mbps front, 22 Mbps rear. Even increasing the bitrate by 6 Mbps for each camera, the frames are duplicating the same way as with stock firmware, which I would say proves that the SD card is not the issue.
And here are the files:
- front camera ok:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALqWdumhkdmKXwKsPx
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALqWVclLadzQ8tvj1x
- rear camera duplicating frames every 91, 92 or 93 frames
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALqWYPNRGuO1NDyUhe
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALqWS8xims6L0Ck_bM

I cannot help but notice the amazing image quality produced by this MOD! @BCHobbyist - great job!

Last edited:
Using MOD 2wk, 22 Mbps front, 22 Mbps rear. Even increasing the bitrate by 6 Mbps for each camera, the frames are duplicating the same way as with stock firmware, which I would say proves that the SD card is not the issue.
And here are the files:
- front camera ok - https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALqWdumhkdmKXwKsPx
- rear camera duplicating frames every 91, 92 or 93 frames - https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnJW_37kwnALqWYPNRGuO1NDyUhe

I cannot help but notice the amazing image quality produced by this MOD! @BCHobbyist - great job!
Same on my test with 22Mbps/22Mbps MOD,quality is awesome.But the frame issue is the same and not related with the Mod.

if it drops a frame that would more likely be memory card related, if it duplicates a frame that is more likely firmware, related to prebuffer maybe, test an earlier firmware and see if the problem was there then, if you find which firmware version the problem started in is easier to find the fault

The dashcam had v1.3 firmware out of the box but I didn't tested with that firmware because I've updated to v1.5.I have tested v1.5,v.1.8 and v.1.9 both official and moded firmware.Rear camera is doubling frames,the front one is doing both things randomly drops/doubles frames.The issue is not related with the card,I have tried with 3 different cards: Samsung Evo Plus U3 64GB/128GB versions and Viofo 128GB MLC card.All 3 cards are brand new,same as the dashcam.I will search the old v1.3 firmware and downgrade if is possible,to test it.

The dashcam had v1.3 firmware out of the box but I didn't tested with that firmware because I've updated to v1.5.I have tested v1.5,v.1.8 and v.1.9 both official and moded firmware.Rear camera is doubling frames,the front one is doing both things randomly drops/doubles frames.The issue is not related with the card,I have tried with 3 different cards: Samsung Evo Plus U3 64GB/128GB versions and Viofo 128GB MLC card.All 3 cards are brand new,same as the dashcam.I will search the old v1.3 firmware and downgrade if is possible,to test it.
Here is V1.3 if you need it.

if it drops a frame that would more likely be memory card related, if it duplicates a frame that is more likely firmware, related to prebuffer maybe, test an earlier firmware and see if the problem was there then, if you find which firmware version the problem started in is easier to find the fault

I don't see frames dropping in 1.5. I had a glitch on one video I noticed but think that was isolated...

What I do see is duplicate frames exactly as gabilondo describes. Where if I use virtualdub2 and manually move forward, I see two frames where the motion is duplicated. I'm running version 1.5... and others said 1.8 and 1.9 have the same problem.

I don't have the time to start troubleshooting, but if someone wants to drop down to 1.3 and see if the issue exists, perfect.

BCHOBBYIST's firmwares contain the bug, because he is modifying the stock.... So using his won't change anything of course.

Back