SG9663DR update

Any more accurate ETA for SG9663DR?

Better to wait until it’s ready, the original SG9663DC was launched a bit later than planned as well to make sure it was stable and performs well. I’m always happier when we can maintain 5-star amazon reviews especially new products.

Yep, the amazing customer support and proper product testing before release cemented my choice for an SG product.

Eagerly waiting for the next flagship SG product for my 2019 BMW.

I’m hoping the DR will handle heat better than my sg9663dc. As much as I love the support of SG and their products, thermal shut down has made me switch to a different camera. I refuse to give up on Street Guardian!!!! I would love to purchase the new DR model once released dependent on reviews and how well it handles heat.

I assume it is when parked you get thermal shut down, if you live in a hot place, but that should be next to impossible when driving.

I assume it is when parked you get thermal shut down, if you live in a hot place, but that should be next to impossible when driving.
have never seen it happen when driving, you wouldn't be driving a car at the sort of temps required for that to happen

That’s exactly what happens. The problem arises when I would start my car and have to drive about 10-15 minutes before the camera(s) would cool down allowing them to start recording again. A lot can happen in 10-15 minutes of city driving. This happened with my sg9663dc, viofo a129 duo and my blackvue dr750s 2-ch cameras. When I switched to a blendmount for my blackvue the cool down period wasn’t as long as it would normally take to start recording again. Instead of 15 minute cool down driving it would start recording about 7-10 minutes after driving with the air condition on. So far the only cameras that have withstood the heat in parking mode and normal driving is my f800pro and now my q800pro.

I’ve considered making or having a custom mount made using another blendmount for the front facing sg9663 camera to get it off of the windshield. Maybe that would help stop thermal shutdown.

I’ve considered making or having a custom mount made using another blendmount for the front facing sg9663 camera to get it off of the windshield. Maybe that would help stop thermal shutdown.
a few inches back from the window makes a huge difference to the temps

...get it off of the windshield. Maybe that would help stop thermal shutdown.
I've become a big advocate of mounting on the sensor housing if your car has one and it's design will accommodate that type of installation.

Last edited:
Yeah a place like that in the shade and away from the glass will probably make a huge difference.

a few inches back from the window makes a huge difference to the temps
Jokin should know this better than myself but I would think it is best to have the camera as close to the glass as possible, this reduces any window glare/reflections. So yes, better for temp reduction but not for video quality. This is why we need the DR, fixes many issues....still patiently waiting :-(

Us old timers here on DCT used to subscribe to the theory that the closer the lens is to the glass, the less windshield reflections you'll have. There are many old discussions and debates on the subject here on the forum. Anyway, we all learned that the closer-to-the-glass theory was basically a myth with the advent of wedge style dash cams mounted directly to the glass like the SG9555GC which made the problem worse. Previously, most of us had some form of dash cam mounted on a stalk that hung down from the windshield that tended to be substantially farther from the glass than a wedge style dash cam and we all assumed that closer to the glass is better. These cameras had the usual windshield reflections of the dashboard but it turned out to be so much worse with the closer to the glass wedge cams. Street Guardian quickly had to offer an optional custom CPL solution to deal with the problem and now includes one with the camera.

With ANY dash cam, the best solution for dashboard reflections in the windshield is a good quality matte black dash mat or a CPL. Preferably both! I don't expect the SG9663DR will be any different.

Last edited:
Us old timers here on DCT .......
With ANY dash cam, the best solution for dashboard reflections in the windshield is a good quality matte black dash mat or a CPL. Preferably both!
see...others do know more than myself. I have never even had a dash cam....I am waiting for this DR to come out to be my first. Hoping for one and done, not willing to go through many for something that is sort of expensive.

Well this weekend a family member was involved in a car accident with a front only camera, I had been putting off buying both directions for the family cars time and time again for this DR, but frankly my patience has run out now.

Ive had people in the various car groups chomping at the bit for this, but as of today im just going to tell them not to wait anymore and go with the high street brands.

Sorry SG, we might appreciate your commitment to quality but the constant pushing back, no eta, no updates, nothing to suggest any actual development or that anyone even cares is enough to put me off the brand.

sorry to hear about the accident, the DR is still coming, I haven't given an ETA as I don't have a firm date yet, I've been slammed anytime I do give an update so it got to the point where it's better to say nothing, damned if you do, damned if you don't

Back