SG9663DR update

Well this weekend a family member was involved in a car accident with a front only camera, I had been putting off buying both directions for the family cars time and time again for this DR, but frankly my patience has run out now.

Ive had people in the various car groups chomping at the bit for this, but as of today im just going to tell them not to wait anymore and go with the high street brands.

Sorry SG, we might appreciate your commitment to quality but the constant pushing back, no eta, no updates, nothing to suggest any actual development or that anyone even cares is enough to put me off the brand.
That’s terrible! I hope everyone is ok.

I feel your frustration and completely understand. I myself have been waiting and waiting for the DR as well.

Sorry to hear about that accident, it always happen when you are not ready, when i got rear ended a few years back i did have a rear camera, it just dident work 100 % and of course it did not at that particular moment.
But if you are so focussed on a dual remote camera, you are not going to find that with any of the other brands either. So i assume you will get a regular style camera which are also just fine.

Dummy spat. A basic acceptance and understanding of the complex and changing environment that all companies face when bringing a product to market should have guided you to buy a cheap-as-chips dashcam to protect your rear end until SG release their product when THEY are happy. No doubt you would be the first to complain if they released a sub-standard, rushed product.

The planet doesn't revolve around you but, then again, if you surround yourself with folks who let you decide what dashcam they should fit in their cars maybe it does.

A substitute is infinitely more wise than an empty space.

Well this weekend a family member was involved in a car accident with a front only camera, I had been putting off buying both directions for the family cars time and time again for this DR, but frankly my patience has run out now.

Ive had people in the various car groups chomping at the bit for this, but as of today im just going to tell them not to wait anymore and go with the high street brands.

Sorry SG, we might appreciate your commitment to quality but the constant pushing back, no eta, no updates, nothing to suggest any actual development or that anyone even cares is enough to put me off the brand.

Hehe just finished laughing my as off.
A Danish vlogger just found some women that seriously think.

1: There should be free sanitary equipment for women at public toilets, as women's period are a problem for the Danish society to take care of.
2: Couples having a hard time here getting pregnant have 3 "free" tries in the public healthcare system, but this should be raised to 6 "free" tries, and should also apply to women that for some reason just cant bother having actual sex or sex with a partner that have the stuff to make a woman pregnant.

I write "free" as i as sane person i know there are few things that are actually free, and most of them are not found in the Danish society structure.

I swear some times i feel like i have woken up in a alternate reality.

sorry to hear about the accident, the DR is still coming, I haven't given an ETA as I don't have a firm date yet, I've been slammed anytime I do give an update so it got to the point where it's better to say nothing, damned if you do, damned if you don't

Could we possibly get a more "in depth" state of play? I think the last update was something to do with tooling and lenses?

How much do you think is finalized? What issues are you encountering right now stopping the release? Are there more issues than you would like to be to do a soft release or is it just one larger issue at hand that needs fixing? Are you just waiting on the availability of a part or component to do the next batch of engineering samples for testing?

That’s terrible! I hope everyone is ok.

I feel your frustration and completely understand. I myself have been waiting and waiting for the DR as well.

Nobody seriously hurt no, but there were some injuries.

Sorry to hear about that accident, it always happen when you are not ready, when i got rear ended a few years back i did have a rear camera, it just dident work 100 % and of course it did not at that particular moment.
But if you are so focussed on a dual remote camera, you are not going to find that with any of the other brands either. So i assume you will get a regular style camera which are also just fine.

Ive found a few other DR cams last night.

Dummy spat. A basic acceptance and understanding of the complex and changing environment that all companies face when bringing a product to market should have guided you to buy a cheap-as-chips dashcam to protect your rear end until SG release their product when THEY are happy. No doubt you would be the first to complain if they released a sub-standard, rushed product.

The planet doesn't revolve around you but, then again, if you surround yourself with folks who let you decide what dashcam they should fit in their cars maybe it does.

A substitute is infinitely more wise than an empty space.

It may have been a somewhat hot headed post last night as the person who crashed into us (was a drunk driver) was trying to lie his way out of it stating he wasnt the driver so we had the police all over us to get descriptions, statements etc.

However, the type of clients who I have been telling them to hold out to buy this arent the sort who will accept a cheap cam stuck to the back window, they are the sorts who would buy a thinkware u1000 with rear cam just because of its price, but ive been telling them to wait for this because of the ability to have the units as stealthily installed as possible, a fair few run 2 of the RC models despite space to hide the main units being extremely limited.

Could we possibly get a more "in depth" state of play? I think the last update was something to do with tooling and lenses?

How much do you think is finalized? What issues are you encountering right now stopping the release? Are there more issues than you would like to be to do a soft release or is it just one larger issue at hand that needs fixing? Are you just waiting on the availability of a part or component to do the next batch of engineering samples for testing?

Nobody seriously hurt no, but there were some injuries.

Ive found a few other DR cams last night.

It may have been a somewhat hot headed post last night as the person who crashed into us (was a drunk driver) was trying to lie his way out of it stating he wasnt the driver so we had the police all over us to get descriptions, statements etc.

However, the type of clients who I have been telling them to hold out to buy this arent the sort who will accept a cheap cam stuck to the back window, they are the sorts who would buy a thinkware u1000 with rear cam just because of its price, but ive been telling them to wait for this because of the ability to have the units as stealthily installed as possible, a fair few run 2 of the RC models despite space to hide the main units being extremely limited.

I'm sorry about the accident, hopefully you will still be able to prove the guilt was wholly on the drunken scumbag.

This is a timely warning to all those who have an 'uncovered' rear whilst awaiting this dashcam's release. What cost exposure to a false claim compared to a temporary 'cheap-as-chips dashcam that you can resell or even keep for emergencies? We can all action make excuses for not taking immediate action, or rely on 'it'll never happen-itis', but this sad incident proves that the risk/reward sometimes plays out in a manner that we didn't foresee. Take action today.

This will also, when you see the SG in your hands, allow you to appreciate the qualities of a fantastic product.

Safe driving.

Yeah they are emerging alright.
I have been testing / using on the K2S for a while now, and it is mostly working alright, but i have posted a few issues in my thread in the K2S sub forum.
It is a camera system with potential, but it is not quite there i feel.
I still haven't moved mine over to regular power, so i still use the OBD adapter for power and parking mode, but this mean some times ( every 3 start or so ) the camera don't change from parking to regular it just shut down instead )
So that's something to take into account if you plan on going that route, but i think on regular power not using parking mode it will be fine, and i think it also have a 3 wire hard wire kit which should also work and with parking features.
There is the Koolung K1S but company don't exist any more and it wasent that good a camera, and there is a few systems meant for motorcycles which i assume can also be used in a car.
But still need to see selling systems from the major brands.

You can also get 4K systems now, and while i will not disregard any of them with the way i look at dashcams, then they are not optimal at all.
There are the limitations in the sensors used, and there are limitations in the bitrate some use ( i understand ) so i am still looking for that 4K camera that truly get me exited.

I would be very surprised if SG (or any company for that matter) would publicly disclose that information about any product under development. While it may be frustrating to wait that information would be a bonanza for competing companies.

I would be very surprised if SG (or any company for that matter) would publicly disclose that information about any product under development. While it may be frustrating to wait that information would be a bonanza for competing companies.

Not really. The only time it would be an issue would be if development had completely stopped.

This isnt like motorsport where someone can say "oh ive made a new cooler for a gearbox" and then someone can grab an off the shelf core, weld it in the same location and run some piping in the space of a week.

Not really. The only time it would be an issue would be if development had completely stopped.
Or if someone is trying to beat you to market with a 'copy cat' version. In China R&D means "Remember and Duplicate". ;)

the last bit of tooling is scheduled for November 14th, once that's done then we can go the next step and do some beta test pieces and make sure everything is ok before we do first trial production, late December/early January if everything is ok

Fingers crossed, we need a bit of momentum to go forward again, and have things fall in line instead of apart.

the last bit of tooling is scheduled for November 14th, once that's done then we can go the next step and do some beta test pieces and make sure everything is ok before we do first trial production, late December/early January if everything is ok

Thank you, this is positive news and I will cross my fingers to see some more news then.

I’ve been patient with SG and really appreciate how active they are on the forums which is why I WILL buy the DR once it’s released.

Thanks for the update. I was hoping to get this before the snow starts coming down, but good to hear it may be only a few months away nonetheless.

Or if someone is trying to beat you to market with a 'copy cat' version. In China R&D means "Remember and Duplicate". ;)
and always crap, i would rather wait and buy once than buy **** and buy again.

I know it could change, but do you currently expect the new model will swap out easily with any of your current models (same brackets/wiring)? I assume not entirely given the DR setup but wondering if I got the current model professional installed if I, a dummy, could swap in the new one without messing with the harder stuff.

is it expected to have the same features and quality other than the DR setup?

Last edited:
I know it could change, but do you currently expect the new model will swap out easily with any of your current models (same brackets/wiring)? I assume not entirely given the DR setup but wondering if I got the current model professional installed if I, a dummy, could swap in the new one without messing with the harder stuff.
nothing is really interchangeable with any current model, the connectors are all different

IF you have to do a rewire, you might be able to pull the new wires in place using the old ones, at least if it are routed up and over the headliner.
But if you are not technical minded and have 10 thumbs, then yeah you are in trouble if new and old don't match up partially at least.

Back