SG9663DR update

Well this weekend a family member was involved in a car accident with a front only camera, I had been putting off buying both directions for the family cars time and time again for this DR, but frankly my patience has run out now.

Ive had people in the various car groups chomping at the bit for this, but as of today im just going to tell them not to wait anymore and go with the high street brands.

Sorry SG, we might appreciate your commitment to quality but the constant pushing back, no eta, no updates, nothing to suggest any actual development or that anyone even cares is enough to put me off the brand.

Settle down Karen, this kind of attitude is exactly why most companies say nothing about what they are working on now. Honestly you are probably lucky to even know it's something that is in development, I doubt it's something they will say about any future products for these very reasons.

Whole thing reminds me of when dual cams started hitting the market and how notoriously unreliable some were because they wanted to be first out the gate unlike SG who were "late" to the party but released a product that worked.

Settle down Karen, this kind of attitude is exactly why most companies say nothing about what they are working on now. Honestly you are probably lucky to even know it's something that is in development, I doubt it's something they will say about any future products for these very reasons.

Whole thing reminds me of when dual cams started hitting the market and how notoriously unreliable some were because they wanted to be first out the gate unlike SG who were "late" to the party but released a product that worked.

If youre gonna post snarky replies at least keep up with the rest of the thread.

the last bit of tooling is scheduled for November 14th, once that's done then we can go the next step and do some beta test pieces and make sure everything is ok before we do first trial production, late December/early January if everything is ok
I can see wanting to iron out all of the bugs, but launching JUST AFTER the busiest shopping month of the year seems like it might hurt sales a bit.

I can see wanting to iron out all of the bugs, but launching JUST AFTER the busiest shopping month of the year seems like it might hurt sales a bit.
it is what it is unfortunately, can't get them out before they're ready

Still orders of magnitude better than pushing out an inferior product.

the last bit of tooling is scheduled for November 14th, once that's done then we can go the next step and do some beta test pieces and make sure everything is ok before we do first trial production, late December/early January if everything is ok

The tooling stuff go ok?

How thick is the central unit? Could I mount it on my sun visor so I can flip down the visor to view it? Another idea is to stick it above or on my rear view mirror. If I need a very short cable from the unit to a camera unit, how easy are they to obtain or are they proprietary? Can the screen always show one or both of the cameras?

Maybe the expect placement is to hide it somewhere, but this forum has gotten me paranoid that the memory card will unexpectedly and secret fail and I probably need to get at least two cards and swap them every day so the unused one can be checked.

sunvisor mounting would not be practical, no short cable options planned at this stage, screen can show both cameras but will time out, it's not intended to stay on all the time

I'm not as paranoid about card failure, but having a recording indicator light integrated into the front cam might be something to consider. Or a loud voice or beep warning for recording failure to give the same effect for a hidden main unit.

Phil

I use to get absolutely freaked out if i had forgotten to bring the memory card i had just inspected on the PC to my car, even if it was for a front camera of which i had 3-4 others.
Now i am pretty relaxed as this still happen now and then.

Memory card failure are always a thing, but at least now modern cameras have alarms to deal with this old issue, and i assume SG have thought about that if you have your speaker on the main unit you risk not hearing it if you bury it too deep in your car, or the speaker are not particular loud.
Then again you should not bury it too deep as you will still need access to it now and then, nut still you should not have it in a easy access place cuz then the idea of it being a remote system are lost to some degree.
With the K2S system i test i look for the flashing indicator light on the GPS antenna as it is right there in front of me in the upper left corner of the windscreen, it should also have a speaker in that GPS antenna for audio alerts but i have not been able to make that work on my test sample, and the K2S as is have pretty low volume even set to high.

Having visual and audio alerts from the GPS antenna are a brilliant idea, not least if you bury the main unit.
Of course you could also bury the GPS antenna ( i assume this still work if you put it the right side up under the dash plastic ) but then light and audio alerts from the GPS antenna are not so usable.

I'm not as paranoid about card failure, but having a recording indicator light integrated into the front cam might be something to consider. Or a loud voice or beep warning for recording failure to give the same effect for a hidden main unit.

Phil
we have a remote light

I use to get absolutely freaked out if i had forgotten to bring the memory card i had just inspected on the PC to my car, even if it was for a front camera of which i had 3-4 others.
Now i am pretty relaxed as this still happen now and then.
Over the weekend I thought one of my cameras had a fault because it was beeping constantly. The next day I realised the memory card was in the house...

Glad to hear this is moving along again. The suction cup recently failed on my temporary camera which prompted me to check this thread. Crossing my fingers for this being released in a couple more months!

Back