Mobius remote lens kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
K6000 clone (lgking), GW1 (e-prance), Mobius (Joo Vuu)
So anyway, I'm mooching about on YouTube through my weird and wonderful list of subscriptions, and I notice this video...

I thought that it's a pretty neat way to make a VERY discrete dashcam with a remote lens mounted on a suitable little lens mount. The kit itself is available here and looks pretty cool, if a little fiddly. (Not a major issue for people who are comfortable assembling delicate components, but a bit scary for some.)

The kit really needs a little more finishing to make ideal and a little more robust, but this definitely has some serious potential. :)

So anyway, I'm mooching about on YouTube through my weird and wonderful list of subscriptions, and I notice this video...

I thought that it's a pretty neat way to make a VERY discrete dashcam with a remote lens mounted on a suitable little lens mount. The kit itself is available here and looks pretty cool, if a little fiddly. (Not a major issue for people who are comfortable assembling delicate components, but a bit scary for some.)

The kit really needs a little more finishing to make ideal and a little more robust, but this definitely has some serious potential. :)
This has been a topic on many a thread for awhile. The only known intrepid soul to try it before Techmoan is @Jim without perfect success. http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ut-you-make-it-very-difficult-sometimes.4207/

Though Techmoan made it look super simple, keep in mind that lens ribbon is extremely fragile and the extension has been known to receive interference. The latter may be the bigger problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it looked a pretty fragile set-up. I was disappointed about the hole left in the Mobius's lens aperture with the extension wires fitted. A blind grommet with a slit in it would probably sort that and it really should come as part of the kit.

Yeah, it looked a pretty fragile set-up. I was disappointed about the hole left in the Mobius's lens aperture with the extension wires fitted. A blind grommet with a slit in it would probably sort that and it really should come as part of the kit.

The extension cable is primarily intended for RC Aircraft modellers, who are pretty inventive & handy with DIY, so they probably have a box of grommets in their 'workshop'.

The extension cable is primarily intended for RC Aircraft modellers, who are pretty inventive & handy with DIY, so they probably have a box of grommets in their 'workshop'.
I'm so trying it, as soon as I get a place to mount it where I can recess that lens. I was thinking as a rear cam recessed into the third brake light as @niko thought of a while back. Unfortunately both of my cars have thin rearview mirror arms, so the front is out. The Techmoan mount is too unfinished for me.

I think when it's all hidden away inside a plane it won't be a problem. And any additional bits will just add weight, so it all makes sense. Maybe the manufacturers will make a modular camera that allows you to swap bits about easily. Mind you, I do really like my GW1 on the front. I'm VERY pleased with it. I actually prefer its performance to the Mobius. I'm looking at the new GT680W with interest too but I digress...

I think when it's all hidden away inside a plane it won't be a problem. And any additional bits will just add weight, so it all makes sense. Maybe the manufacturers will make a modular camera that allows you to swap bits about easily. Mind you, I do really like my GW1 on the front. I'm VERY pleased with it. I actually prefer its performance to the Mobius. I'm looking at the new GT680W with interest too but I digress...
Hey could you post a comparison video? If you have time, it would be really great to see them side by side.

My thoughts on the hole & fragile cable/lens would be to use something like sugru.
Once the packet is opened, you have some time to mould to shape etc. This could be used to plug the hole as well as making a holder for the cable/lens

My thoughts on the hole & fragile cable/lens would be to use something like sugru.
Once the packet is opened, you have some time to mould to shape etc. This could be used to plug the hole as well as making a holder for the cable/lens
That could work for sure, forgot about Sugru. Thanks

And, using a product such as sugru, you could create a holder which would, hopefully, blend with your interior, maybe a flat base with a contoured top - perhaps even adding an 'eyelid' (like you would see on a traffic light) to help keep the sun from shining into the lens?

Hey could you post a comparison video? If you have time, it would be really great to see them side by side.
Yes I will put something up when I get the time. I'm not saying the G1W is better, just that I prefer it. Which I know sounds a little perverse. :D

I'm not saying the G1W is better, just that I prefer it. Which I know sounds a little perverse. :D

what works best for dashcam use is not always the most pleasing to look at, it's about detail rather than winning academy awards for cinematography

i make it exactly like techmoan.

This has been a topic on many a thread for awhile. The only known intrepid soul to try it before Techmoan is @Jim without perfect success. http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ut-you-make-it-very-difficult-sometimes.4207/

Though Techmoan made it look super simple, keep in mind that lens ribbon is extremely fragile and the extension has been known to receive interference. The latter may be the bigger problem.
I've been toying with the extension cable for a while. I'm actually surprised by the abuse it took. I figured I'd have to replace the cable/ribbon by now.
I wouldn't put it past anyone being able to do it. It is pretty easy to extend it.

I posted in the motorcycle section because that's my intended purpose (if you're interested). I've started with 'hard to notice' setup by trying to cover it in the bike. Now I've moved to an isolated/waterproof seperate lens and cable extension. I'm still working on hiding it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back