Today is the day (Install)!

With the right equipment and skills, you can swap out the connectors, but my eyes are too old and my skills too rusty to even try now :cry: Even though there are specified standards, it seems that there's some variation in all coax connectors, so short of testing all of them (or @viofo telling us where he buys his) it's "try and see". Usually they will all work together with each other.

On the impedance of the connectors, that's usually very close, and being so short when considering the whole run length, you can forget about that for such as this application.

It's possible that someone makes a 90 degree MMCX adapter you could plug in, but it will be costly as these are quite hard to make, moreso with the smaller sizes like we have here. If you really just have to have a 90 degree plug, you're probably better off buying one and putting it on the cable, as every connection adds some resistance which might degrade the signal, and it adds a potential failure point.

This small cable is great, just needs to be handled a bit differently.

Phil

I snapped a pic of my cabin camera, but the phone dident do all that well, but the general picture is to be understood.

IE i have a bent cable too.
IMG_20210425_205459.jpg

What your link took me to was a connector, not an adaptor. The brass sleeve is meant to go over the coax shield; an adapter won't have or need that. But it appears to be the proper connector (y) How well it fits can't be told till someone tries, but it should work. If you get it, try plugging it into the cam bare before clipping anything so you can return it if it doesn't seem like it fits well enough. Keep us informed please :)

Phil

Is it something that is easy to correct if I bring it back to the installer and explain the situation?
Seems it will be an easy fix; just pop the trim loose and move the cable. They're probably not aware of the limitations of this type of cabling as this is the first time it's been used in a dashcam (or anywhere else in an automotive environment AFAIK). Were I not a Ham Radio operator I wouldn't have known about it either ;)
Yes, and it looks like Viofo was considering a slightly different cable route,
VIOFO A139 3CH rear cam 3.jpg

VIOFO A139 3CH rear cam 4.jpg
as you can see in their video review:

The same cable was used for the internal camera.
VIOFO A139 3CH int cam 3.jpg

Although there were also options for using the cable with an angled connector
VIOFO A139 3CH int cam 1.jpg
VIOFO A139 3CH int cam 2.jpg

Could be also the fact that MMCX are sometimes used for Audiophile applications which need some "special sauce" :D (not sure about impedance)

I bought these (but again, only for testing purposes, not sure about reliability):

The fact a 90 degree cable isn't being released with the camera is a bit disconcerting. That camera sells for around $270 USD and to cut corners on a cheap part doesn't make sense. I hope Viofo rectifies that for people here.

Yes, and it looks like Viofo was considering a slightly different cable route,
View attachment 56412

View attachment 56413
as you can see in their video review:

The same cable was used for the internal camera.
View attachment 56414

Although there were also options for using the cable with an angled connector
View attachment 56415
View attachment 56416

Interesting. Wonder what the rationale was for ultimately going the way they did with the cable option? Would be nice if we were given an option.

Could be also the fact that MMCX are sometimes used for Audiophile applications which need some "special sauce" :D (not sure about impedance)

I bought these (but again, only for testing purposes, not sure about reliability):
Ok, if anybody is interested in replacing the straight connector for a 90° by crimping it on your own, the
isn't bad and it's quite cheap.

I almost regret now using AdamTech connector instead of this noname one (nice and tight). :LOL:

Last edited:
Interesting. Wonder what the rationale was for ultimately going the way they did with the cable option? Would be nice if we were given an option.
Durability.

If you are going for a 90 connection, you might want to consider the forces on the cable, at least if it is flexing when opening the tailgate, of course not everyone has that issue. The straight cable simply twists rather than flexing much.

1619809157085.png

As an aside note, this dawned on me today. While placing the interior camera high up near the headliner (life Viofo's Image) does appear to give a good view of the vehicle, it also comes with a caveat.

Putting down the sunvisor will definitely block the camera's view. Guess a trade off for concealment and out of the line of sight from one's normal view.

Thats true, fortunately i do not use the sun visors in cars, and my cabin camera are on the mirror stalk

I am not super fond of adapters in any way / form, even if i cant say they have been horrible to me or anyone else.

no idea but it would at least need to have the correct connectors, MMCX male and female, the one you linked didn't

Hmm.. Mind taking a peak on Amazon and giving me an example? I just went ahead and placed an order for the A139 3 Channel. Viofo.com. Was cheaper there than on Amazon due to Viofo.com running a discounted price.

no, but if you find any links I'm happy to have a look

I ordered my camera from Viofo.com and emailed customer service asking about a right angle cable. They said one is available upon request. They are going to swap the straight rear cable for a right angled Cable.

FYI to anyone placing an order and wanting a right angled cable.

Thanks for your order,

we do have the right angle rear cable as attached, while only one end is right, another end is straight,

Back