Today is the day (Install)!

yeah put a couple of pics in the where did you install your dashcam thread

5a35adbeaec3380adc3fd47a117b3243.jpg

896164b6773f27ffe757980d34035cac.jpg

054350d7b2820db3e7e1d8fafded3522.jpg

73212a48d217913fcf0625af11fb24a9.jpg

d06ae435ad3ba50fdb4549d04c8e4c40.jpg

Never posted install pics.

Well done (y) But the coax at the rear can might be bent into too sharp a radius. No reports on cams with it yet, but it's essentially the same as RG-174 coax for radio, and that should have about a 4" (100mm) minimum bend radius. What happens with it is that over time the center conductor can press into it's insulation and 'migrate' toward the outer shield, first changing impedance then possibly shorting. USB type cables are more forgiving of tighter bends but are larger diameter.

I'm not sure if this was ever added to the owner's manual but it was discussed here with Viofo agreeing that it shouldn't be bent tightly.

Phil

Looks great

Well done (y) But the coax at the rear can might be bent into too sharp a radius. No reports on cams with it yet, but it's essentially the same as RG-174 coax for radio, and that should have about a 4" (100mm) minimum bend radius. What happens with it is that over time the center conductor can press into it's insulation and 'migrate' toward the outer shield, first changing impedance then possibly shorting. USB type cables are more forgiving of tighter bends but are larger diameter.

I'm not sure if this was ever added to the owner's manual but it was discussed here with Viofo agreeing that it shouldn't be bent tightly.

Phil

Is it something that is easy to correct if I bring it back to the installer and explain the situation? Or is it a PITA and they won’t care to help or agree with the assessment based on their experience of installing thousands of dash came over the years?

Seems it will be an easy fix; just pop the trim loose and move the cable. They're probably not aware of the limitations of this type of cabling as this is the first time it's been used in a dashcam (or anywhere else in an automotive environment AFAIK). Were I not a Ham Radio operator I wouldn't have known about it either ;)

Phil

Ex "operator" too, but never seen that puny cable, the stuff i used was more like 10 mm or so in diameter.

Phil

Why didn't Viofo make an L shaped connector? Seems the placement of the coax plug isn't ideal. I presume what you're instructing @Margate5 to have done is simply remove the trim and give the cable a bit more slack?

There was a 90 degree plug on some cables we testers got.

On the main unit i think strait plugs are a must, not least with the no tamper bracket, but in the camera unit end i think a angled plug make sense.
At least they are standard plugs so you can replace them if it is a major problem in your install, but otherwise i think it is as in so many places " deal with it or do something else"

Doing my #2 install with the replacement camera and mirror, this time around i did modify the trim around the mirror stalk to accommodate the wire better

There was a 90 degree plug on some cables we testers got.

On the main unit i think strait plugs are a must, not least with the no tamper bracket, but in the camera unit end i think a angled plug make sense.
At least they are standard plugs so you can replace them if it is a major problem in your install, but otherwise i think it is as in so many places " deal with it or do something else"

Doing my #2 install with the replacement camera and mirror, this time around i did modify the trim around the mirror stalk to accommodate the wire better

I'm talking about the rear camera windshield camera. That wire being a straight plug, where the plug placement is on the side, is not a good design. There should be a right angle plug for the rear windshield camera so you don't have to bend it.

Did the Betas include a right angle plug? Seems only solution is to give it a bit of slack and not bend plug at such a sharp angle.

Untitled.jpg

Yes my cable for the interior camera had a 90 degree plug in one end.
but just on the test camera or should i say first test camera, the replacement i was sent after the brake in and vandalism of my mirror and the first A139 camera have strait plugs all around.

IMG_20210425_194139.jpg

It could be a cost thing, at least i would not be surprised if the 90degree plugs are more expensive.

I found a aliexpress listing for 10 of the plugs in angled, they cost just shy of 8 USD, but for some reason the strait ones i was not able to fin at least not in a 10 PCS package / lot to compare price.

Last edited:
I think Viofo needs to produce a 90 degree plug for all the reasons @SawMaster pointed out. Having to bend the plug and make it work, is asking for trouble. There's no graceful way to make that plug not bend. Only thing you can do is offer more slack and not make a sharp bend.

I think Viofo needs to produce a 90 degree plug for all the reasons @SawMaster pointed out. Having to bend the plug and make it work, is asking for trouble. There's no graceful way to make that plug not bend. Only thing you can do is offer more slack and not make a sharp bend.

Is the 90 degree plug something that would be easy to swap out if it could be ordered either if Viofi starts to offer them or you can buy one online from aliexpress as was mentioned? Or if the straight one I have broke is it difficult to have replaced?

I would like a 90 degree plug if possible as I don’t want any issues down the road and now while it is new is the best time to get it addressed.

Is the 90 degree plug something that would be easy to swap out if it could be ordered either if Viofi starts to offer them or you can buy one online from aliexpress as was mentioned? Or if the straight one I have broke is it difficult to have replaced?

I would like a 90 degree plug if possible as I don’t want any issues down the road and now while it is new is the best time to get it addressed.

No. I doubt your installer would do this for free. It requires removing the Hatch Trim, pulling out the cord from the rubber grommet, and pulling out the cabling from the rear camera all the way to the front camera. Then re-running the cable again with the new 90 degree (L) shaped cable.

No. I doubt your installer would do this for free. It requires removing the Hatch Trim, pulling out the cord from the rubber grommet, and pulling out the cabling from the rear camera all the way to the front camera. Then re-running the cable again with the new 90 degree (L) shaped cable.

Good point. I will go back and ask them to give it a little slack but so it still looks neat. They should be willing to accommodate the request.

I found a aliexpress listing for 10 of the plugs in angled, they cost just shy of 8 USD, but for some reason the strait ones i was not able to fin at least not in a 10 PCS package / lot to compare price.
Be careful about the connectors you choose. The ones i've mentioned/showed in another thread are from Aliexpress (because of the price and uncertainty whether the original are actually MMCX) and at least the straight ones are not as good as the genuine ones - the connectors from Ali have a different profile and wiggle a bit. It is not that bad but still, it's coax... and i would rather have more rigid connection since i used much thinner cable :LOL:(+ i need to rule out one behaviour). I bought some 90° as well but haven't received yet, despite i ordered them about the same time as the straight ones and it's over a month already (no tracking unfortunately).

Anyway, due to wiggle, i've ordered some straight/90° "legit ones" from TME and will see.

Last edited:
I also found some really expensive ones, like 1 for 10 dollars, but they also looked a lot more "spiffy" than the simple ones.

I also found some really expensive ones, like 1 for 10 dollars, but they also looked a lot more "spiffy" than the simple ones.
Could be also the fact that MMCX are sometimes used for Audiophile applications which need some "special sauce" :D (not sure about impedance)

I bought these (but again, only for testing purposes, not sure about reliability):

Back