Mini 0803 coming

Russian proverb about patience ;)
Ти́ше е́дешь - да́льше бу́дешь.
Slow and steady wins the race..
In french we have the same : "Qui veut voyager loin ménage sa monture".

Otherwise at present stage I believe any review ( not only by me, but by any other reviewer or user ) is not fully valid
Not fully valid, probably because much improvement has to be done on the firmware, but for Mr Joe who want to buy a dashcam now and does not know what to choose between 0801 or 0803, any comparison, test, or review of the 0803 is much appreciated !

You can just point the camera a tad lower.
I moved my camera's position "one click" lower.
Before:
3s.jpg

After:
3bs.jpg

This is "one click" difference.
I don't know which one is better...

I will try some night recording tonight.

I moved my camera's position "one click" lower.
I don't know which one is better...
You can not compare, it is not the same weather !!
To compare, try the same day, the same hour ;)

I ordered one for a colleague who was scared of ordering somthing abroad. Today I received it. I have it till tomorrow morning, so any prefered test scenarios? Gonna "test" it to make sure he gets a working dashcam :D
I'd love to disassemble it but I guess my colleague wouldnt like that so I wont do it ^^

I have it till tomorrow morning, so any prefered test scenarios?^^

Since there have been complaints about running hot, I'd like to know how much current it draws in 1080p and higher 1296p, with and without the LCD on? We already have this for 0801 in 1080p.

I am a new member of this forum and I have read every posting on this thread. It is a wealth of information. Thank you guys.
I just rec'd my 0803 and have experienced some of the bugs. I wonder if I received a pre-production model. I have FW 20140416 V1.0 running on it. It does get slightly hot during use. It did lock up once making a terrible buzzing sound but I think it was my fault. I am using a 32 GB Class 10 card and I wonder if I should drop back to a class 6 card. I find the playback on my laptop very jerky but the video is fine when using the HDMI to the TV so it is not my 0803 at fault. I am trying different settings to minimize the heat build-up in the camera and increase it's performance. I purchased the 0803 through Black Boxed and I am completely pleased with Kevin and the fast shipment to me.

Thank you for the order from us, Radman. Give it a try with the newest firmware I sent you and a Class 6 card and those problems will be fixed.

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the order from us, Radman. Give it a try with the newest firmware I sent you and a Class 6 card and those problems will be fixed.

Kelvin
Kelvin,,, I did the firmware upgrade and all went perfect. Thank you for the tips in your email to me. As I mentioned in my response to your email, the jerky playback on my laptop may be due to my 64 bit OS. On my other laptop running a 32 bit OS all is perfect with no jerky playback ( just a thought ). I'll try a class 6 SD card as you suggested. All in all, I am pleased with my 0803.

Last edited by a moderator:
... the jerky playback on my laptop may be due to my 64 bit OS. On my other laptop running a 32 bit OS all is perfect with no jerky playback ( just a thought ).
Might be jerky if you are playing back directly from your Micro SD card. Always best to download the video file onto your laptop first before trying to view it.;)

I made the "dark" test. As I expected, the winner is (at any resolution): WDR OFF. Turning ON WDR makes the video brighter, but more yellowish with lots of disturbing noise.
1080p and 1296p is very similar. Maybe 1296p a slightly better. Very slightly.
But honestly, there are lots of things to improve...
Links:
http://www.fokfoldiibolyak.hu/Content/Images/0803/1_1080p_WDR_OFF.zip
http://www.fokfoldiibolyak.hu/Content/Images/0803/2_1080P_WDR_ON.zip
http://www.fokfoldiibolyak.hu/Content/Images/0803/3_1296p_WDR_OFF.zip
http://www.fokfoldiibolyak.hu/Content/Images/0803/4_1296p_WDR_ON.zip

Last edited:
Has anyone used their recorded video because of a mishap or an accident and if so did you have to go to court? Did the judge accept the video as evidence ? I got cutoff by an out of control driver and I almost rear ended him. If I had hit him, the video would have helped.

@Radman In Canada, accidents and accident injury claims almost never make it to court. The insurance companies settle because lawsuits, lawyers and courts are expensive. A video would definitely convince an insurance company to settle a claim.

That said, if you receive a significant injury in an accident that isn't you fault, you should always consult with a personal injury lawyer.

OK. Some comment to my nighttime recordings.
It is clearly visible that high resolution worth nothing without availability of clean high iso and faster shutter speed. Capturing nighttime moving, 30fps is not enough! Motions are blurred, even on still pictures. At least 60fps (or more!!!) would be appropriate... I know that double of higher frame rate is half reducing the brightness, that's why double more iso setting would be necessary! Unfortunately double iso dramatically increasing the noise level (which looks so high even with low iso now)
I would appreciate a "night" mode in the menu even with 720p, but 60fps and high (but noise free) iso setting.

It's no contest at the moment. The 801 wins hands down.

Back