Mini 0803 coming

Hi. I purchased this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/140996179067It's not only a hardwire kit, but also an "auto cut off power device". You can select timer mode or volt mode. It prevents discharging car's battery in parking/motion detection mode.

Hi Rayman
I'm a typical Joe public customer who just wants the purchase to work straight out of the box. Where can I purchase a mini 0803 with the final build and latest firmware ?
I've clicked your link but can't find purchase links.
Does the 20140510 really make much difference and would be interested to hear users views as my camera is now broken so I'm looking to replace.

dear Joe,
as we are the manufacturer we don't provide directly retail to customers.
for 0803, the hardware is constant now and only firmware updates later. I will release the stable firmwares in this forum once the version is formal released.

20140510V1 updated the resolution setting in test firmware 20140507V1, and image quality is little better.
Any firmware bug feedback will be appreciated and will help us to make this camera better.
as you are out of dash camera protecting now, i suggest you to buy a camera online asap, from a UK reseller.
I will not recommend a specified reseller for fairness reason. :)

Sincerely,
Rayman @MEGtech

It prevents discharging car's battery in parking/motion detection mode.

yes the OVER DISCHARGING PROTECTION (or LOW VOLTAGE PROTECTION) is very important.

Wow - that seems expensive - and doesn't have a right angle connector so will require an adapter too :eek:

if they listed it "for 0803", it isa correct right angle microUSB plug.

I just got a USB buck. Loads on ebay for £4 just ordered another 2 as they are perfect size for the job and if you change your camera you don't have desolder the hard wire part just plug the new type cable into USB port and route cable to mounting point.
Like this one

this is tooooooo big and without OVER DISCHARGE PROTECTION. will not recommend this.

Thanks ! Hard to say which is the best between the 2 screenshots.
1080p has lower painted effects, but also less details.

i think the "lower painted effects" of 0801 video is caused by the LESS illumination. it is dark so lost many details.
but, obviously 0803 bring a better video

i think the "lower painted effects" of 0801 video is caused by the LESS illumination. it is dark so lost many details.
but, obviously 0803 bring a better video
both of them made by 0803. The only difference, that "lower painted effects" snapshot is from 1080p WDR OFF (sorry, I misstyped in the original post), while the vivid colours came from 1296p resolution with WDR ON.

both of them made by 0803. The only difference, that "lower painted effects" snapshot is from 1080p WDR OFF (sorry, I misstyped in the original post), while the vivid colours came from 1296p resolution with WDR ON.
Thanks Stef to clarify. So, what is your recommandation ? 1080p or 1296p ? WDR ON or OFF ?

dear Joe,
as we are the manufacturer we don't provide directly retail to customers.....

I will not recommend a specified reseller for fairness reason. :)

Sincerely,
Rayman @MEGtech
I am a little confused. Why can't you name the resellers that you sell to, to ensure Joe public gets your latest product?:confused:
Surely then they could choose who to buy from!

I am a little confused. Why can't you name the resellers that you sell to, to ensure Joe public gets your latest product?:confused:
Surely then they could choose who to buy from!

Dear Hilts,
This will be because MEGTech will be shipping to tens if not hundreds of resellers and if they recommend one they will leave themselves vulnerable to resellers sourcing their products from a different supplier. It's best to stay neutral.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Last edited:
Dear Hilts,
This will be because MEGTech will be shipping to tens if not hundreds of factories and if they recommend one they will leave themselves vulnerable to resellers sourcing their products from a different supplier. It's best to stay neutral.

Kind regards,

JooVuu
@JooVuu - to clarify my earlier post, I wasn't asking Rayman.Chan to name only one supplier. It would be extremely helpful if they named their preferred suppliers by geographical regions, areas or countries. This way the end customers can decide who they want to purchase from, in today's global online marketplace. For example JooVuu in the UK, FoxOffer @billknow in Asia, etc.

In 'fairness' (?) he'd suggested @aabs buys from a UK reseller online, which is a little odd. I wonder who that might be!;) Not sure how 'fair' that is for any of their non-UK online resellers.:p

Whilst I was left slightly confused by Rayman.Chan's earlier post & now I am further confused your subsequent reply.:confused:

MEGtech claim to be the manufacturer and Patent holder (?) for the Mini 0803:-
dear Hilts,
we bought the patent authorization from the 0803 designer, and develop the hardware and software under Ambarella's help, then manufacture the camera in our factory. :)
If MEGtech own the Patent then resellers don't have another Mini 0803 manufacturer to turn to. If, however, they are making them under a Patent license then there may be other manufacturers out there...

As you are (presumably) supplied by MEGtech, then you'll probably know the answer.... I am not expecting you to answer that BTW.

Reading between-the-lines, perhaps the Mini 0803 is being manufactured by other companies under license too?!o_O
@Rayman.Chan - It would be nice to know, if MEGtech feel like confirming, whether they are the sole manufacturer though!;)

Just thinking there could be FW updating issues if multiple companies are making the Mini 0803 to slightly different specs, as happened with the Mini 0801.:rolleyes:
Time will tell if people starting 'bricking' their units with incompatible FW...:(

Last edited:
Thanks Stef to clarify. So, what is your recommandation ? 1080p or 1296p ? WDR ON or OFF ?
My preferred settings now:
Res: 1296p
PQ:SuperFine
WDR: OFF (daytime) ->I did not try nighttime yet, but I guess WDR ON will give better result in dark scenes.
White balance: cloudy (That's for a little bit warmer colours)

1080p may enough with this firmware. I just trying 1296p, but no real valuable benefit of that.

Anyway, is anyone knows, the 'speed' of internal memory please? I put a 32GB Class10 Kingston as external card, and works flowless.

Last edited:
I still need to do some serious testing, but tried comparing 803 against 801 indoors with very low light conditions. I was able to see more with 801 than with 803. Hopefully on the road it will be better, but currently I'm having doubts. I bought the 803 to replace my 801 in the front and place the 801 to the back, but at this moment I think I will leave the 801 in the front and put the 803 at the back. Brightness in a picture isn't everything, in fact when it means blurred footage and full of artifacts, I prefer the 801 anytime. "Maybe" at the end of the day, the 803 will provide better dashcam performance usable in case of accidents (closeby), but the 801 will provide better general use footage anytime.
Just my opinion about 803 at this moment.

This is a test video with my preferred settings (1296p, WDR OFF, Superfine). It looks fine now. This quality is OK for me. Hoping that future firmware updates making this quality even better, I'm happy now! :)

http://www.fokfoldiibolyak.hu/Content/Images/0803/AMBA0042-0044.MOV

It looks a bit oversharpened, honestly I can't decide it is good or not. As amateur photographer, I don't like this oversharpened effect. If I want to sharpen the image, I can do it later from any snapshot, however the originally oversharpened picture can not be undo. It would be better to let the user select sharpening level from the menu. Also there is 2 AE metering mode now, but would be better to select the AE area.

I mean now metering around the center (red square), but I prefer AE metering lower than center (yellow square) because of the bright sky effect. A built-in menu function would be great to move AE area (red arrows).
1296p_mod.png

Last edited:
Back