heat sink added into 0803

Thank you for your attention to Gearbest. Yes, Gearbest is located in China. Welcome to drop me an email(Alta@gearbest.com) if you have any questions about our site. Gearbest is honored to be one of the Dash Cam retailers on DCT, we are very happy that we could offer you our best products and service.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

-Gearbest

Can you trust GearBest?
GearBest holds its own inventory in secure state of the art warehouse facilities, we adhere to exceptional quality control processes and operate an extensive Customer Support Center offering multiple service channels.
Our professional servers and website are security scanned, authenticated and fully verified by McAfee Secure™ from Symantec™ on a daily basis to protect you online. Click on the official McAfee trustmark to learn more. You can learn more on our Secure Shopping page. Shop with confidence at GearBest.

Thank you for your attention to Gearbest. Yes, Gearbest is located in China. Welcome to drop me an email(Alta@gearbest.com) if you have any questions about our site. Gearbest is honored to be one of the Dash Cam retailers on DCT, we are very happy that we could offer you our best products and service.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

-Gearbest

Can you trust GearBest?
GearBest holds its own inventory in secure state of the art warehouse facilities, we adhere to exceptional quality control processes and operate an extensive Customer Support Center offering multiple service channels.
Our professional servers and website are security scanned, authenticated and fully verified by McAfee Secure™ from Symantec™ on a daily basis to protect you online. Click on the official McAfee trustmark to learn more. You can learn more on our Secure Shopping page. Shop with confidence at GearBest.

* Seeing that you have 'extensive' customer support, and you are here stating such, "Could you tell us the weight of the Mini 0803 (body only), 'with heat sink' in grams? This would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

I received Mini 0803 (1296P Super HD) today, purchased last week on eBay from Singapore.
Unpacked, read instructions, inserted SD card, started then noticed the unusual heat from the camera.
After 5-6 mins recording camera got into some kind of loop similar to damaged cd-rom. Couldn't find reset button, kept master button pushed for more than 3-4 secs, tried the other buttons too, then after ~10 secs camera restarted itself.

I only wish I found this forum earlier.

I measured 53.5 degC at the hottest spot and weight 62gr (body only).

Firmware running is FW20140511v1.0 which probably indicates that I have an old dash camera.
I was hoping to see 125.2 gr as measured by synoptic12, so I shall be contacting eBay seller now.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7tlD-C3QJRWV0xsMk52dlQ1THM&usp=sharing

Cheers
Bosi

Hi All,

I received Mini 0803 (1296P Super HD) today, purchased last week on eBay from Singapore.
Unpacked, read instructions, inserted SD card, started then noticed the unusual heat from the camera.
After 5-6 mins recording camera got into some kind of loop similar to damaged cd-rom. Couldn't find reset button, kept master button pushed for more than 3-4 secs, tried the other buttons too, then after ~10 secs camera restarted itself.

I only wish I found this forum earlier.

I measured 53.5 degC at the hottest spot and weight 62gr (body only).

Firmware running is FW20140511v1.0 which probably indicates that I have an old dash camera.
I was hoping to see 125.2 gr as measured by synoptic12, so I shall be contacting eBay seller now.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7tlD-C3QJRWV0xsMk52dlQ1THM&usp=sharing

Cheers
Bosi
Not an unusual experience!

53 deg C is not too hot if it has been beeping or if the screen is on, in normal operation with screen off it should be mid 40s and with screen on in high 40s. It is small so the heat is more concentrated than larger cameras with twice or three times the surface area.

That firmware is what most suppliers are currently supplying, does not mean that it is an old camera.

There is no way the heatsink will weigh as much as the rest of the camera! You must be measuring different things...

Reset is the main power button for upto 20 seconds.

Let it charge it's battery up properly and give it a second chance...

Not an unusual experience!

53 deg C is not too hot if it has been beeping or if the screen is on, in normal operation with screen off it should be mid 40s and with screen on in high 40s. It is small so the heat is more concentrated than larger cameras with twice or three times the surface area.

That firmware is what most suppliers are currently supplying, does not mean that it is an old camera.

There is no way the heatsink will weigh as much as the rest of the camera! You must be measuring different things...

Reset is the main power button for upto 20 seconds.

Let it charge it's battery up properly and give it a second chance...

Thanks for the message.
I would assume when the camera starts looping, then there would be an issue.
My first guess was the heat and after Googling I found this forum.

However, here are results for the 2nd chance:
1. Battery charged with the sd card out, until icon stop charging
2. Camera swiched off, 5 min break to cool down, sd card inserted
3. Camera switched on, Sd card formatted, recording started, 1 min later screen auto off.
4. Temperature measure taken approx every 1 minute

1 min=32.1
2 min=37.9
3 min=41.8
4 min=43.3
5 min=43.4
6 min=
7 min=
8 min=
9 min=
10 min=46.8
11 min=
12 min=
13 min=51.1
14 min=
15 min=
30 min=54.2
45 min=57.8
60 min=59.9

Good news is no issues with the looping.

The questions is what is the normal operating temperature for the camera ?
It's still a winter in Melbourne, Australia, 21 degC in my home, so wondering what would happen in summer when above 40 degC ?

Regards

It shouldn't get that hot!

How are you measuring the temperature? (you do start off well above ambient?)

What memory card are you using? (Brand, model, etc)

Maybe try again with WDR and LDWS off, but if your measurement is accurate I doubt that will make much difference...

It shouldn't get that hot!

How are you measuring the temperature? (you do start off well above ambient?)

What memory card are you using? (Brand, model, etc)

Maybe try again with WDR and LDWS off, but if your measurement is accurate I doubt that will make much difference...

I use infrared thermometer, laser aim at the surface, release the trigger and temp is shown on display. Tested on my body temp, quite accurate.

Micro SDHC card Samsung class 10, 16GB - although manual says some issues may occur on high performing cards, however I wouldn't expect high temp.

Will try experimenting tomorrow, it's Tuesday 20min past midnight, sleep, work, play..

Thanks again
Cheers

This is from Estore, a trusted seller: "The FW is FW 20140611 v 1.0. Sorry that it doesn't have heat sink. The weight of the camera body is about 100g.

This is from Moka World, listing on Amazon: "The weight is 200g with built-in heat sink.

Each factory has a their own version of the same camera. The mini 0803 is another non branded camera that has been duplicated 100 times. The Sj4000 is the same, which is why they are now being branded to ensure buyers get the real deal. The Mobius has authorized sellers to ensure buyers don't buy copies.

OJO CAM- FROM LARRY: The weight is 64 grams with heat sink.

From E-Trance: Amazon Marketplace: Our Mini 0803 employ heat sink, "Our item is about 76g".

Message Sent: August 28, 2014

Last edited:
The questions is what is the normal operating temperature for the camera ?
Mid 40s is normal when ambient is low 20s.

Low humidity and still air in your house might explain the difference?

You could also try a later firmware, my "normal" figures will be typical for the June versions and there were more reports of heat with earlier cameras.

Last time I measured mine in use using the August firmware, it started off at 53 (been sitting in the sun) and cooled down to 38 over a half hour drive. That's using a latest generation Samsung memory card which does seem to knock a couple of degrees off.

Did we get an "official" weight for what a heat-sink equipped 803 should be? Mine, which was shipped from Foxoffer on 08-19-2014, weighs in at 63 grams.

Edit1: Foxoffer claims to have sent me the latest version with heat-sink (despite sending me the old style GPS bracket). Apparently there is enough variation in scales to not be able to effectively determine the added weight of the heat-sync.

foxoffer-0803-version.png

Edit2: The two most recent 0803 cameras I bought from Black Boxed weigh in at 62 grams. These are also supposed to have an internal heat-sink. Oddly, they came in a different style box compared to my original 0803 Foxoffer camera.

Attachments

• 0803-weight.jpg
    0803-weight.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
From E-Trance: Amazon Marketplace: Our Mini 0803 employ heat sink, "Our item is about 76g".
My 0803 from E-Prance weighs 68g, non heatsink version.

Second Message From E-Trance: September 1, 2014 "The weight of the unit (body only) is about 62.

On August 28, 2014, the weight was 76 grams per E-Trance, "NOW" it's about 62. All honest people, are we?

Last edited:
Auto-Vox- Amazon Marketplace: August 27, 2014

Response From AUTO-VOX: “About our product 0803 A7LA50 DASH CAM, it does not include a heat sink, because according to its system support, there will not be so much of heat, so it does not need to bulk heat sink.”

* No weight provided.

E-Prance is not E-Trance. Thank you for the information.
Looks to me like E-Prance and E-Trance are the same company. Most of the camera's E-Trance are selling have the E-Prance name on them.

From JOO VU: Yes, it does employ the new heat sink and yes it does have the new bracket, the overall weight is 64 grams (excluding bracket).

Back