heat sink added into 0803

I've been posting in another thread that mine has gotten pretty hot too, and has even shut down on me during one drive. But since then, it hasn't happened again. The only thing I've changed about my habits are mixing my air vents to the defrost/front vents vs. front vents/foot vents, so there's always some cool air blowing up the inside of the windscreen.

Considering either the swiss-cheese mod or a heatsink mod of my own. Will post pics if I do it...planning something a little different on the heatsink front than others have shown so far.

I've been posting in another thread that mine has gotten pretty hot too, and has even shut down on me during one drive. But since then, it hasn't happened again. The only thing I've changed about my habits are mixing my air vents to the defrost/front vents vs. front vents/foot vents, so there's always some cool air blowing up the inside of the windscreen.

Considering either the swiss-cheese mod or a heatsink mod of my own. Will post pics if I do it...planning something a little different on the heatsink front than others have shown so far.
I will do more test to see if the HOT temperature will cause any actual problem beside touching it.

In the mean time, I did search for heatsink as well. The A7 chip is 15mm by 15mm, and a 15x15 copper pad will surely fit, just wondering if a 20x20 pad will fit in or not, or maybe a 14x12x6 if the gap is enough.

A heatsink alone, inside a tiny case with virtually no convection and definitely no forced-air cooling, will do very very little to reduce the actual peak temp of the chip under long usage scenarios. A post on another thread with a swiss-cheese drilling of the casing (probably want to pop electronics out before trying so as not to risk poking the wrong thing) would provide a bit more airflow thru it.

I'm actually considering 'slotting' my case and mounting a heatsink or plate that would extend out of the case and thus be exposed to exterior airflow. Will post images if I go for it.

A heatsink alone, inside a tiny case with virtually no convection and definitely no forced-air cooling, will do very very little to reduce the actual peak temp of the chip under long usage scenarios. A post on another thread with a swiss-cheese drilling of the casing (probably want to pop electronics out before trying so as not to risk poking the wrong thing) would provide a bit more airflow thru it.

I'm actually considering 'slotting' my case and mounting a heatsink or plate that would extend out of the case and thus be exposed to exterior airflow. Will post images if I go for it.

I agree. One way or another, the heat needs to escape the housing. Holes or slots would help a lot.
It could also be interesting to mod a camera like this with a tiny 5vdc .o6 amp fan like this 15mm x 15mm x 4.5mm one on eBay or this slightly larger but quieter one.

I will do more test to see if the HOT temperature will cause any actual problem beside touching it.

In the mean time, I did search for heatsink as well. The A7 chip is 15mm by 15mm, and a 15x15 copper pad will surely fit, just wondering if a 20x20 pad will fit in or not, or maybe a 14x12x6 if the gap is enough.
Ok, after a weekend of usage, over heat did cause a problem with this camera. After parking under the sun for hours, then about 30 mins driving, the camera freezes. Disconnect, press power or any key do not make any change. I will just have to leave it along till the battery is out.

I agree. One way or another, the heat needs to escape the housing. Holes or slots would help a lot.
It could also be interesting to mod a camera like this with a tiny 5vdc .o6 amp fan like this 15mm x 15mm x 4.5mm one on eBay or this slightly larger but quieter one.
Or in half-assery fashion If you have a car headunit with a USB port you could use one of these
Ha
Had a friend who had an old Chevy that the AC was broken on and used this as a makeshift Car AC.

I was about to suggest doing that with either a bit of copper sheet, or maybe even using a flat heat pipe - there's a 1.2mm x 20mm x 100mm heatpipe here - a bit on long side but it appears could be bent a little.

Or in half-assery fashion If you have a car headunit with a USB port you could use one of these
Ha
Had a friend who had an old Chevy that the AC was broken on and used this as a makeshift Car AC.

Hah! I like it! I think you'll need more than one though. :p

Last edited:
Is there anyone who knows foxoffer carries this mini 0803 with heatsink installed?
I email them but their answer is not clear "This issue had solved , so you can buy mini 0803 trustingly."
Thanks a lot!

And also if the fulfilled by Amazon (UK) stick is also the newer version with the heat sink?

The Foxoffer one will be ok if they're saying that - the Eprance one (assuming that's the Amazon one) could be old stock sat in Amazon's warehouse though so potentially won't have it yet - totally luck of the draw with them.

I'm in the UK and can recommend FoxOffer as have had a G90 and an A118 from them now.

If you're not in a massive hurry (i.e. you don't want it tomorrow) go with FoxOffer - you'll get fresher stock by buying from them and shipping doesn't take long either.

Last edited:
I agree. If FoxOffer says it will be OK, it will be OK. If somehow, there should be a problem (of any kind) they will strive to resolve it.

The Foxoffer one will be ok if they're saying that - the Eprance one (assuming that's the Amazon one) could be old stock sat in Amazon's warehouse though so potentially won't have it yet - totally luck of the draw with them.

I'm in the UK and can recommend FoxOffer as have had a G90 and an A118 from them now.

If you're not in a massive hurry (i.e. you don't want it tomorrow) go with FoxOffer - you'll get fresher stock by buying from them and shipping doesn't take long either.

Thanks Reverend. How are you getting on with the G90? That's on my short list of 3, tbh as a bit of a wildcard whilst I watch the lens extension build thread - I'm after something discrete that will tuck up behind the rear view mirror. 0803 and mobius are the other 2 on my short list.

Ok, after a weekend of usage, over heat did cause a problem with this camera. After parking under the sun for hours, then about 30 mins driving, the camera freezes. Disconnect, press power or any key do not make any change. I will just have to leave it along till the battery is out.
please try holding the power button for 10 to 15 seconds to reset.
by the way, it will be very hot in the car when the car is parked under sun for hours. it is too hot for the camera.

please try holding the power button for 10 to 15 seconds to reset.
by the way, it will be very hot in the car when the car is parked under sun for hours. it is too hot for the camera.
Rayman,
Can you confirm that Foxoffer currently carries mini 0803 with added heatsink version?
Thanks a lot!

Rayman,
Can you confirm that Foxoffer currently carries mini 0803 with added heatsink version?
Thanks a lot!
all the 0803s released from 2 weeks before have been updated to the version with heatsink.
I think they must have sent back all their stocks for this update.
And, if any user think your 0803 have to be updated for a "with heatsink version", please contact your distributor.
(the Motion Detection function is not recommended if your camera is under sunlight in summer.)
1.jpg
heatsink size 14*14mm, height limit to 4mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back