G90 A7LA70 unfocused videos

don't think it much matters, I know Reverend has recently painted his black, perhaps he was worried people would think he had the ladies version also
Mine's the Sylvester Stallone of the dashcam world now - rough and rugged!

Signhere are you on the A7LA30 version?

I've got to admit I've never taken much notice of the battery side of things but there may be a reason why Doreen says that the r441MP was only for the second batch other than just the microphone difference. I've got to admit mine is a very early cam but I've been ok on R441MP to date.

The camera's charger took about 80 minutes before it stopped charging ( blue light off) . On initial power up in video mode using the camera's battery power, the camera started to indicate battery low at around 33 seconds and commenced to shutdown. If I were to charge the camera then, it would likely took about 10 minutes to charge.

This is my result: an A7LA70, fully charged (using slow USB charging), from start to shutdown when recording at 1920x1080p_25fps, fixed location, display off, takes 16 minutes. Just bare in mind that my dashcam is almost new (i.e., it hasn't been used because I haven't got time to refocus it). The heat is a huge problem for the battery so once I'll start to use the dashcam, this time will drop a lot.

Anyway, what is with 80 minutes and 10 minutes ? I don't understand

Last edited:
I've been through footage since I turned off auto shutdown and mine lasted between 5 and 6 mins with the screen off and recording at 1920x1080p 30fps (I don't bother with 25fps on dashcams) - and that was after a 45 min journey each way.

Heat definitely appears to have an impact on focus though - look at these two pics (one after a 48 min journey) and then the car was parked up for 3.5 hours:

g90-a-hot.jpg g90-a-cold.jpg

I'm not sure if it's just the lighting change but details like the numberplate go from fuzzy when hot to sharp when cool. I'm not sure if this is a software thing, heat from the battery affecting the image sensor or putting pressure onto the camera PCB and slightly changing the distance of the lens from the sensor a fraction. Who knows, but this is the same sort of focus drifting I saw with the DOD LS460W (that was worse actually!)

Last edited:
This is my result: an A7LA70, fully charged (using slow USB charging), from start to shutdown when recording at 1920x1080p_25fps, fixed location, display off, takes 16 minutes. Just bare in mind that my dashcam is almost new (i.e., it hasn't been used because I haven't got time to refocus it). The heat is a huge problem for the battery so once I'll start to use the dashcam, this time will drop a lot.

Anyway, what is with 80 minutes and 10 minutes ? I don't understand

In standby video mode with the screen on, my A7LA30 would start the "battery low"shutting down process within 35 seconds of turning it on even though the battery was "fully" charged. It does not happen in photo mode (> 5 minutes). 35 seconds is equivalent to about 10 minutes of charge?

Was your cam in standby mode ( red light) when you returned to your car reverend? And the blue light was off?

To be honest it's tucked away so I'm assuming it was just fully off after the battery ran out.

I'll check it again today and see what happens :)

Is that fixed in all the A7LA70 versions then please Fandy? In that case I might order one if it fixes this problem :)

Are you just talking this part:

lensholders-.gif

Is that fixed in all the A7LA70 versions then please Fandy? In that case I might order one if it fixes this problem :)

Are you just talking this part:

lensholders-.gif
We are testing on some Sample, currently not all devices are worked with the New lens base.
If you want one sample, I can offer one to you.

If you could please @Fandy that would be fantastic - I'll drop you a PM.

I ordered a new metal M12 20mm base but it didn't fit as the G90 I have is an 18mm I think?

New Lens base.jpg
Today we receive it from our lens supplier, and we will do test by ourselves.
If you like, you can also help test and check.

Yes please Fandy, I've sent you a message to your inbox :)

View attachment 8190
Today we receive it from our lens supplier, and we will do test by ourselves.
If you like, you can also help test and check.

If you are looking for testers, I'll volunteer to try it on my g1w-c and my i1000. Shoot me a pm if you want me to give it a go.

:)

Just realized I never put an update in this thread - the weather has cooled off here now but even after long journeys the focus doesn't shift with the new lens holder!

Has no one else noticed the focus shift after a long drive of two hours or more?

Is your new holder plastic or metal?

I'm considering trying a metal one.

I have noticed "focus shift" on my f70/i1000 and it was inexpensive enough that I don't mind hacking it up a bit as an experiment.

You'd need to check the pitch of the screws at the bottom as there are various sizes. The G90 is 18ish mm but the more common size is 20mm so you'd need to check which size you need first

If you are looking for testers, I'll volunteer to try it on my g1w-c and my i1000. Shoot me a pm if you want me to give it a go.

Ok, if need, will let you know.

The still image property for my G90 is showing a focal length of 5.0mm (not 2.8mm).

"Focus shift" time-lapsed ( 40 min --> 2 min )

That's exactly how my G90 was in heat too.

The replacement with the fixed lens holder didn't last more than a week before dying which seeing as I paid for it I wasn't too happy about.

I've done videos with things like the SG9665GC and no focus issues at all in heat or long drives:

Back