Cheapest dashcam

I'm new to all this and am finding it very hard to find information on the really cheap cameras like this one in the first post.

I'm frustrated that I can't find the kind of cameras I want for my needs. I don't drive a lot but I would like a camera to protect against getting scammed. Someone reversing into me or obviously lying about their role in an accident.

I'm slightly disabled but registered to drive. I can't unclip a camera every time I drive. But I don't want to leave something good in there that will get stolen.

What I want is a camera that looks like the one pictured but is decent enough quality to actually work, that I can leave in my car. But it seems to me such a thing does not exist. If you look on eBay some of these cheap cameras have sold about 2000 units yet no Google search or YouTube search will bring up any footage or information WTF, is some conspiracy going on?

Also I have a Next base112 camera, it has very basic features but it works very well and is well made, cost £40. If I leave in my car some idiot will smash my window as a hundred quid plus bill. Anyway that £40 how much is paying for the screen I don't need, all the buttons I don't need and the fancy mount I don't need. Why can't there be a good no screen camera is what I'm asking.

PS I'm having a bad day and I'm writing like garbage.

The Mobius 1 and JooVuu X are small with no screen, the Mobius being cheaper, more reliable and having less bells and whistles attached but lower resolution footage. Might be what you're looking for but you may need to spend a little more than £40 to get all set up with one. There are some good mini mounts available for either of those two cameras which would be very discreet. There is also a remote lens option for the Mobius which can really hide well if you're up for a little DIY.

There is also the Viofo A118C and A118C2 (newer improved model) which can hide well as they are wedge shaped and hug the glass. They do have a screen but due to the form factor no-one should ever see it in your window depending on how you mount it. They will be the cheapest of the decent wedge style cameras. The A119 and A119S are a more premium option, although, still really good value for money, and really good video quality.

Street Guardian do some good discreet options too but they might be well above what you are prepared to spend.

Unfortunately, the cheap ones aren't really worth it, better to get a decent mid range camera if you can. Another popular camera sharing the same style of case as the one in the OP is the Mini series (0806, 0826 and some others). They don't have a good reputation for reliability though and not as discreet as the wedge shape cameras.

Important thing to consider is where to buy from. Always use a trusted retailer with local UK stock in case you have any problems.

A good rule of thumb is that if the camera doesn't explicitly say the image sensor and processor inside of it, assume it's the cheapest.

Thing with the inexpensive cams is that they're often unreliable, sure you'll save maybe £10 - £20 right now but in 6 months when you need that footage you might find yourself SOL because the cam is not working or the video quality is so poor that it is unusable. So my advice is don't buy cheap unbranded stuff from eBay, buy something that's been tried and tested and proven reliable even if it's a little more. In the long run it'll be worthwhile and likely cheaper as you won't end up buying several cams until you find one that is acceptable.

Why the generic cams are hard to find on YouTube, 1000 sales isn't really that many, and well, who really knows what to search for when they don't have consistent brand names and model numbers. Even then you might not see the same camera because one will have the same case but different internal components. The company might put out a batch of "good" cameras then the rest will be made with cheaper parts... It's unreliable.

You want cheap? This is what cheap gets you:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-review-g1w-fake-from-bg.25934/
Pulsating vids, very dark and grainy at night at night, randomly shuts down about once a week, 32GB card limit. Mine is still working 2 months later. Better than nothing as long as it is somewhere that you can keep an eye on it, but not by much. When a good card costs as much as the cam, you ain't gonna get a good cam. You'll be lucky to get one that's even usable.

If you need a dashcam, then you need a good one, and there are good ones at great prices but not when the price is this low. Up the budget and get a cam worth having ;)

Phil

Thanks guys for your advice all of you. Just need to stop whining I guess and stump up some cash. I appreciate you can't play games with cheap substandard equipment because dashcam do have quite a serious role. I still maintain they don't do the dashcam that I want. If I'm paying £40 for a Next base 112 which is really well made, great buttons and screen and a fancy quick release mount. You would think it would be possible to buy a no screen stick to the windscreen camera that was also high quality and reliable but just didn't have the features,for about £20, but there isn't really apart from the really cheap tat. That said I'm very inspired by a couple of cameras that have been mentioned. The Mobius which is only £44 on eBay.

I'm waiting for 'my perfect cam' to be built just like a lot of us are. In the meantime we compromise.

IMHO reliability is not negotiable for a cost savings; whatever is the lowest price reliable cam, that is the price where the game starts at. My cheapo G1W fake is a temporary side cam- I'd never trust it as my only cam. My butt and my van are worth a lot more than that to me :cool: Mobius is my primary cam and though there are newer and sexier cams with better performance it is enough cam for most folks and unbeatable for it's price. It's still the best bargain in dashcams ;)

Phil

When I receive the cheap dashcam I comment my impressions here

I had one of these as a rear camera for 18 months (only stopped using because I sold the car) I paid £17 and it was fine... video quality was acceptable and the main thing, it was reliable and always started recording with ignition on. I could see status lights in rear view mirror.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I had one of these as a rear camera for 18 months (only stopped using because I sold the car) I paid £17 and it was fine... video quality was acceptable and the main thing, it was reliable and always started recording with ignition on. I could see status lights in rear view mirror.

Just out of curiosity did it have that funny multi-pin plug attachment, I understand this runs off 12 V. Seems like it would involve buying a separate cigarette socket charge lead and possibly doing some soldering, or have I got it wrong.

Yes it had the multiplug as it's designed to be hardwired. I just piggybacked the hardwire connection from my front cam

Cheapest camera received. Low video quality. Menus only in Chinese. No battery, menu options are not saved.

Back