Used the A119S at a Racetrack...

MarcoPolo

Reaction score
Country
United States
thought this would be interesting to some of you. while the cam is always mounted to my car, i thought it would be interesting to see how the video quality held up on a race track. here are my thoughts on the results of this test..

- definitely noticed some pixelation at times. you can tell where at the asphalt starts to get pixelated.
- video was done @1080p60
- audio did not go well at all. this is expected as it gets windy inside the car. in a perfect world, i could run an external mic off the A119S like i did with my gopro but unfortunately, that isn't doable.
- gps speed was off....certainly a delay...wish it was more accurate but i don't rely on it.
- overall i was very happy with the use of the dashcam. i'll most likely continue using it as a track camera.

FYI, car is a 2014 MINI Cooper S

thanks. the data collection was a combination of using a bluetooth OBD adapter (OBDLINK LX is what i have) and that communicates with the App (harry's laptimer is very popular, i personally prefer and use Track Addict). afterwards, i download the video and data and merge it using a laptop software called racerender. you can use any of their 100+ overlays or design your own. i designed my own to match the 3rd Gen MINI Gauge Cluster.

Looks like fun, the YouTube compression probably doesn't help with the pixelation at times

I had a pretty good smile when I first saw your post - using "Mini Cooper" and "Racetrack" in the same sentence seemed a bit of an oxymoron, but watching the videos it performed quite admirably. :)

I had a pretty good smile when I first saw your post - using "Mini Cooper" and "Racetrack" in the same sentence seemed a bit of an oxymoron, but watching the videos it performed quite admirably. :)

lol thank you.. the mini is far from the fastest of the track but it has been loads of fun. I go with a few friends that all driver high powered cars (M3, corvette, etc...) and even they were shocked at my keeping up.. i personally enjoy being the underdog. if i rolled up in a Porsche GT3RS then what's the fun if you're simply fast. for me, i enjoy practicing the lines/apex's and improving little by little. the guys in charge always say "you never know when a miata or a mini are suddenly behind you...let them pass...maybe you'll learn a thing or 2..."

Which track?

it was Thunderbolt track @ NJMP (New Jersey Motorsports Park). i will also be heading to Virginia International in may and Mid-Ohio raceway in September. i have full intentions of using the A1119s for video. the challenge is now on how to overcome the lousy audio.

Mic hints: fasten a section of soft thin foam rubber over the mic hole, taping only the edges. Alter the layers or thickness as needed. Or use a cotton ball applied similarly. If there's still too much wind noise try a small band-aid there; alter first by carefully cutting away the plastic or cloth 'tape' over the mic hole area. Add foam rubber if even more 'deadening' is needed.

These tricks will alter the sound range somewhat but you should be able to find a usable 'sweet spot' and be able yo get rid of noise from the wind. What will be harder to fix is if the wind is 'pulsing' there from direct air pressure rising and falling; the only cure I know for that is a better mic location.

Nice riding along with you :D
Phil

Mic hints: fasten a section of soft thin foam rubber over the mic hole, taping only the edges. Alter the layers or thickness as needed. Or use a cotton ball applied similarly. If there's still too much wind noise try a small band-aid there; alter first by carefully cutting away the plastic or cloth 'tape' over the mic hole area. Add foam rubber if even more 'deadening' is needed.

These tricks will alter the sound range somewhat but you should be able to find a usable 'sweet spot' and be able yo get rid of noise from the wind. What will be harder to fix is if the wind is 'pulsing' there from direct air pressure rising and falling; the only cure I know for that is a better mic location.

Nice riding along with you :D
Phil

thanks for the tip! i'll give that a try. i have a plan b, although i'm not excited to execute it....i'd rather get the dashcam to function. we shall see. thanks again.

Back