Motorcycle and SUV crash at Intersection

When people don't see a TRUCK , what chance has a bike got ?
And it has little to do with eye sight , and very much to do with people taking the time to be safe ..
The old saying , measure twice cut once comes to mind ..

Dont just glance in what ever direction and hope to catch what you need !
You need to actually look , take the time to allow your brain to catch up to what your eyes are taking in and process that information .. ( And many people just don't do this )

And it has little to do with eye sight , and very much to do with people taking the time to be safe ..
It's also about how they approach their decisions. You see a lot of people who've clearly thought "I'm going to proceed unless I discover it's dangerous." They are the ones who start pulling out from side roads then slam on the brakes just before they get hit.

That's bass-ackwards logic, it should be "I won't proceed until I've established it's safe."

Unfortunately the first approach is the one ingrained in human nature. We are animals not machines, and still very imperfect. It takes effort to override bad habits. Not everyone tries or even cares.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Around 12:15 today another biker was just feet away from head on crash at this very junction, he was overtaking in the middle of the junction despite both boxes having waiting cars in them, he actually went onto the wrong side of the road around the cars in the centre riding head on at a semi, if the junction had had someone come out going towards norwich I doubt he would be alive now, he was doing around 80-100mph.

It's also about how they approach their decisions. You see a lot of people who've clearly thought "I'm going to proceed unless I discover it's dangerous." They are the ones who start pulling out from side roads then slam on the brakes just before they get hit.

That's bass-ackwards logic, it should be "I won't proceed until I've established it's safe."

Unfortunately the first approach is the one ingrained in human nature. We are animals not machines, and still very imperfect. It takes effort to override bad habits. Not everyone tries or even cares.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I don't know ? I get the feeling people don't think at all but rather react ...
A little like pre programming .. So rather than thinking , people automatically react to certain situations ..
And that is a horrible thing to develop driving a car ..
And I have to say that I am guilty of it myself .. And ever since getting into cams I have tried seriously hard to break myself of these reactions ...
One should only react to be safe ( like apply the break ) , not react to be dangerous .. ( This would require some self assessment )
We all develop good and bad habits . I guess what separates the good from the bad is knowing the difference and doing something about it .

I love watching video where drivers / rather than be safe and apply the break / violently swerve left or right without looking to avoid applying the breaks ..
The consequences of this type of reaction is often comical if not tragic . ( But quite obviously no thinking took part in the reaction ) ..

So I am left wondering if people actually do utilize the super computer they lug around on top of their shoulders ? ( Or like animals , they simply react to situations )

The motorcycles I passed yesterday, I'm sure some of them would like to be allowed a black number plate with black numbers on it!

y4mWGDJwwTQHTjlhHSi2OJg9ZEYQqZpzSeU7daFH2gXgHuhNmX2XPDKBj7cJMoZGzzXyAPQJlYiCrMyQAcGh3q8X7molZQRB80_IUCQFhAHNqB1nshvF4WO6JfA-5jMQIPToMq7E92JpT100u6iprpI5ZXQIuhKJ40fOjZ25B4yNIOU4lBRXCkunY41NLht9OObD-soYVi5IVe2PRXX6Iegog

even the rider of one is more visible than the other they both have their headlights on so the bikes are at least as visible as each other

As an update another serious crash at the A47 Hockering junction, rider was laid flat on the road being attended to whilst the air ambulance was landing exact same spot, witnesses stated bike was overtaking a car turning right and rode head onto into another car, car turning right was it is said stationary in right turn lane and had been for at least 20-25 seconds.

Just watched the Isle of Man TT highlights for the day, at the end of the show they went through the obituaries for the last 24 hours, only 3 dead today!

All taking part in the event, separate incidents, so it's not really an issue, they chose to take the risk.
Wouldn't be acceptable in car racing, but not an issue for motorcycle racing!

The IOM TT isn't well known in the US :( It's all run on closed public roads with humps, dips, curves, blind curves, and patched pavement that has houses and fences and walls right at the edge of the roads on most of the course's 38 or so miles It makes any other form of motor racing look absolutely safe in comparison :whistle:

Phil

The IOM TT isn't well known in the US :( It's all run on closed public roads with humps, dips, curves, blind curves, and patched pavement that has houses and fences and walls right at the edge of the roads on most of the course's 38 or so miles It makes any other form of motor racing look absolutely safe in comparison :whistle:

Phil
WRC through the woods is pretty scary stuff, but at least they have a cage around them.

WRC through the woods is pretty scary stuff, but at least they have a cage around them.
Yes, very rare for them to get killed, more common for the spectators standing in stupid places.

Watched the IOM TT sidecar races last night, if you want a really scary sport then being the passenger on that must be about the most extreme, no obituaries at the end this time, just one broken leg, and in the first race one over steered on a damp corner drove through the crowd on the inside of the corner. Average speed around the lap, through the villages and over the mountain is slower than for the superbikes, only 117mph, you need a good grip! Ohh, and they have zero suspension on the sidecar!

cacccb76076f5c66dd4aac06a4cf89ad.jpg

060414-isle-of-man-spectating-sidecar-ginger-hall-633x389.jpg

Last edited:
Back