Pixels at night on brand new SG9665GC

Have some spotty biz going on over here also - it's not like the Milky Way, but was noticeable. Some of this may be because of a spotty windshield - it's not 100% scrubbed clean - but some are definitely rogue white pixels - microtrash that got inside during the manufacturing process? Some sort of "calibration" issue?

78P0Eka.jpg

Didn't have an arrow template handy, so spots are located at the top part - upper and to the left - of the red lines. Everything else are lights, bug spots on windshield, reflectors and reflections.

Have some spotty biz going on over here also - it's not like the Milky Way, but was noticeable. Some of this may be because of a spotty windshield - it's not 100% scrubbed clean - but some are definitely rogue white pixels - microtrash that got inside during the manufacturing process? Some sort of "calibration" issue?

78P0Eka.jpg

Didn't have an arrow template handy, so spots are located at the top part - upper and to the left - of the red lines. Everything else are lights, bug spots on windshield, reflectors and reflections.

Please re-install Firmware. This will auto-calibrate bright pixels.

I've begun to notice hot pixels once again. What makes a properly calibrated GC with the latest firmware and no hot pixels go out of calibration all of a sudden? Maybe it's the cosmic ray business?

I've begun to notice hot pixels once again. What makes a properly calibrated GC with the latest firmware and no hot pixels go out of calibration all of a sudden? Maybe it's the cosmic ray business?

they will change over time which is why the auto calibration is the preferred method where possible as it will keep recalibrating dynamically rather than just using a static value

they will change over time which is why the auto calibration is the preferred method where possible as it will keep recalibrating dynamically rather than just using a static value

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't previously aware this was a chronic problem rather than the one time fix-it we were encouraged to perform some time ago. Seems to be the nature of these Sony sensors unfortunately. Please explain a bit more about the auto calibration. When you say auto-calibration will that always require re-installing the firmware? Perhaps I've missed something here? Like most I don't like the hot pixels but I consider it a relatively minor issue in the scheme of things as long as the GC performs well in all the other parameters.

it's not the nature of Sony sensors, all of these camera sensors do it, the reason it is apparent on the Sony sensors is the auto calibration process in the Novatek SDK initially was not working very well for the Sony sensors so it was elected to use a manual calibration process instead while Novatek were working on improving it

auto calibration doesn't require reinstalling of the firmware, if it has a manual calibration version installed though it's a matter of updating to get that function, updated version will be released soon, will have to wait until later this week though when I'm back in China, I'm in Hong Kong right now and don't have access to what I need to get that sorted

it's not the nature of Sony sensors, all of these camera sensors do it, the reason it is apparent on the Sony sensors is the auto calibration process in the Novatek SDK initially was not working very well for the Sony sensors so it was elected to use a manual calibration process instead while Novatek were working on improving it

auto calibration doesn't require reinstalling of the firmware, if it has a manual calibration version installed though it's a matter of updating to get that function, updated version will be released soon, will have to wait until later this week though when I'm back in China, I'm in Hong Kong right now and don't have access to what I need to get that sorted

OK, thanks jokiin.

FWIW, I've not experienced hot pixels except with the Sony sensor and I recall Jon posting something about that including a formal explanation from Sony that referred to the cosmic ray thing. I hadn't heard anything previously about it being related to a Novatek SDK issue.

.....Wait, I just found the thing @Street Guardian USA posted. (1/7/17)
I see they mention auto compensation though.

sony.jpg

yeah you wouldn't see it in other sensors as the auto calibration was already working well for most popular sensors already, it is something which is easier to see in the Sony also due to larger individual pixel size

yeah you wouldn't see it in other sensors as the auto calibration was already working well for most popular sensors already, it is something which is easier to see in the Sony also due to larger individual pixel size

I guess those hot pixels are like zombies. Kill them off and they come back to life and start attacking again. :zombie::)

The Latest beta firmware should be posted soon with latest optimized auto calibration. (After we are done with the shows in Hong Kong)

It's not obnoxious or bugging the heck out of me - just random specks of a low count, low visibility. I'll just wait until there's a new firmware update that may include a whole spread of tweaks. And scrub the heck out of the windshield in the meantime.

I have to say, until I started playing with dashcams, I've never seen so many hot pixels - and I've handled many different devices in 20 or so years.
Are the dashcam manufacturers using B-grade or rejected sensors?

Think I got some of that stuff around here. Actually it could probably use a good professional polish job.
Clean the window as good as you can, then if you have any chrome polish or automotive polish clean and buff the outside of the window and you will be good. Requires some thorough rubbing, but it will be worth the effort. I use Beyond Clay Paint Polish by Surf City Garage and it works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, until I started playing with dashcams, I've never seen so many hot pixels - and I've handled many different devices in 20 or so years.
Are the dashcam manufacturers using B-grade or rejected sensors?

No, nothing like that at all. The explanation was posted a few posts before your question.

As its all the hype today, and i admit pretty exiting, it might be gravitational waves messing up our sensors. :D

Back