My first week with a dashcam..

how often do you encounter stupid drivers?

• Daily

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Every 48 hours

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Once a week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than once a week

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Think we're showing our age. Speed is fun and exciting. But like us we learn the risk is not worth it. I'm sure he'll learn that too as he matures.

Somehow, lately, many of the reckless, inconsiderate, dangerous drivers I see speeding around out on the local roadways are young women in their late teens and early twenties. The young guys don't seem to hold a candle to them. And they're always talking on their cell phones which is seriously illegal where I live and risks big fines.

I know I sound like an old fart now and I guess I am. I do remember failing to negotiate a curve driving too fast in a sports car at 2 o'clock in the morning and landing at the bottom of an embankment in a deputy sheriff's front yard. That was somewhere back in my early twenties. :p:D

Think we're showing our age. Speed is fun and exciting. But like us we learn the risk is not worth it. I'm sure he'll learn that too as he matures.

No we're not showing our age, we're showing (in these circumstances) our maturity and experience in knowing that there's a time and a place for pushing our cars and ourselves to the limits, and on populated roads isn't the place.

For those who don't have local race tracks or the funds for using local race tracks, there's games consoles

For those who don't have local race tracks or the funds for using local race tracks, there's games consoles
My guess is that this video was made for some friends of him which maybe are driving like him. For his friends and not only that is a great video showing how brave is @Jesse0403 but on this forum is hard to get admiration for such type of driving. Also I drive faster than others but much much more cautiously and this was gained in over 20 years of driving.

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't think they believe they are 'pushing the limits' but one day when they need just a bit more time, space, or available traction to avoid crashing they will learn the hard way. Nobody gets away with being stupid forever :whistle: When I was 21 I had a turn off a rural highway down pat. Just as I was committed to finish the turn the headlights showed the gravel in the road. One second later I needed a new fender and door and the State had a roadsign to repair :oops: I was ten MPH below what I could take that turn at but still going much faster than I should have been. Lesson learned ;)

Phil

That woman pedestrian was hardly through the pedestrian walk before you came speeding trough the intersection.
If you're referring to the person at the second crosssing, then I have to say that (A) she was not actually on the crossing and (B) she was taking her sweet time.
In those circumstances I decide to inconvenience myself as little as possible (while avoiding an accident and staying within the law), because that is what they are doing. I show people the same respect they show me. I default to being helpful and cooperative, but if someone sets a bad precedent I will follow suit.

If you're referring to the person at the second crosssing, then I have to say that (A) she was not actually on the crossing and (B) she was taking her sweet time.
In those circumstances I decide to inconvenience myself as little as possible (while avoiding an accident and staying within the law), because that is what they are doing. I show people the same respect they show me. I default to being helpful and cooperative, but if someone sets a bad precedent I will follow suit.
(C) Her light was red.

@Jesse0403 Unfortunately upon analysing the video footage I fear the dashcam might well outlive you

Plain to see why you don't display your speed on the video. atrocious driving. (Live long and prosper i hope)

Should there be a dedicated video clip thread in the videos section titled "Dashcams that outlived their owners".... or is that a little too dark?

Plain to see why you don't display your speed on the video. atrocious driving. (Live long and prosper i hope)
Well, the dashcam doesn't have a gps, so I can't show the speed. But to give an indication in the last two clips the speed is around 180 km/h and 150 km/h.

Should there be a dedicated video clip thread in the videos section titled "Dashcams that outlived their owners".... or is that a little too dark?
Well, you say this and this night almost got into a huge accident lol. Who's the one to blame, me for driving too fast or the other person for not checking his mirrors properly.

Footage:

You will live longer if you dont rely on the driving skill of other drivers, i have absolutely no trust in the other drivers on the road.
And i only drive 110 km/h on the motorway even if it is a 130 zone, my little car fuel economy dont like going so fast i might as well drill a 3 mm hole in my gas tank so i stick with 110.
After all the speed posted are max speeds, on everything but motorways you can drive as slow as you feel like, though this might earn you some flack from other drivers.

...Who's the one to blame, me for driving too fast or the other person for not checking his mirrors properly....
Doing 70k over the limit (50%+), at night, in the rain? No question about it, not only are you to blame but your stupidity level went up significantly as well. :inpain:

Sorry, but DTMI is right. Of course people need to check before changing lanes. But it's hard to judge distance and speed in your mirror when all you have to go on is distant headlights. *
Key word being distant. By going 50% over the limit in rain in darkness, you will be two tiny dots of light when they check their mirrors, they will conclude you are far away, and that they will be able to pull out safely. But you'll catch them up as they do the move, and smack into the back of them.

* Maybe you don't understand this because you've never stuck to the speed limit? I'm not joking. If you can't see things from other people's perspective because you've never driven like them or dealt with they situations they find themselves in, then you can't possibly predict what they are likely to do, and you can't drive safely around them. Your way of dealing with people behind you is to go faster than them so you don't have to think about them. That leaves you dangerously lacking in experience.

But I think you may just be yanking our chains now.

...But I think you may just be yanking our chains now.
That thought went through my mind as well, but the video(s) he voluntarily provided convinces me that I am 100% accurate in my assessment. His actions, commentary, denials and rationalizations go well beyond anything that could possibly be attributed to youth or inexperience.

stu·pid
adjective
adjective: stupid; comparative adjective: stupider; superlative adjective: stupidest
. having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

I just hope that when (not if) his actions catch up with him it's in a manner that involves only inanimate objects versus any living beings.

That thought went through my mind as well, but the video(s) he voluntarily provided convinces me that I am 100% accurate in my assessment. His actions, commentary, denials and rationalizations go well beyond anything that could possibly be attributed to youth or inexperience.

stu·pid
adjective
adjective: stupid; comparative adjective: stupider; superlative adjective: stupidest
. having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

Which amusingly brings us right back to the OP's original polling question:

"How often do you encounter stupid drivers?":rolleyes:

Your way of dealing with people behind you is to go faster than them so you don't have to think about them.
Well, to be honest I have to agree with you on that. A lot of times I don't even have to check my mirrors properly because I go faster than most people, so there is only a small chance someone is overtaking me.

Last edited:
Back