0806 Abandoned or are updates still coming?

paaco1981

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had my 0806 since February and I'm pretty happy with it. It's more than adequate for dash cam purposes as far as video quality goes, and the sound quality is quite good as well. There has been an issue though for a while with recording to two different SD cards. Last I heard, work was being done on a new firmware version to fix that issue. The last update was Jan 28th, seems like a while to be working on your higher end model. Recently, I heard about a completely new 0807 version, has the 0806 been abandoned, or is a new firmware coming soon for the 0806 to fix the dual SD card issue?

I honestly have no issue with mine, once I pulled it apart and re soldered a wire ( which is crazy so many people even had to do ), it has worked flawlessly, although it takes about 10 minutes to get a GPS lock for some reason. It would be kind of messed up though if you guys abandoned support for the 0806 before you got all the bugs worked out.

they're still working on it, other models have been announced but those are additional to this model, not replacements of, or upgrades from

how long it might take is still unknown

The last update was Jan 28th, seems like a while to be working on your higher end model.

it takes about 10 minutes to get a GPS lock for some reason.
I also hope they will update the dual SD card issue along with the issues when place in 180 degree flip mode.

My GPS would lock extremely fast before I mounted it in the car. Now it sometimes takes as long as yours after I mounted in the car. Must just be the car or my toll transponder interfering with the GPS?

This is the list of firmware updates from MINI0806.COM as of this morning. Last update was January and nothing since. (My blue highlights below)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINI0806 DASH CAMERA FIRMWARE UPDATE JAN.28.2015
update log:
1, change default setting GPS STAMPING = LOG ONLY
2, correct the MPH value, which was KMH value when set the SPEED STAMPING to MPH
3, update text DRIVER NUMBER STAMP to DRIVER NUMBER STAMPING
4, auto switch GPS STAMPING to LOG ONLY when user set the STAMPING to KMH or MPH, if the GPS STAMPING was OFF
4, improve the codes for GPS icon showing delay. (this need to be wide tested.)

MINI0806 DASH CAMERA FIRMWARE UPDATE JAN.16.2015
update log:
1, power indicator will be light when external power input;
2, Rotate Image 180degree problem will occur on HDR 1080P mode. working on this with Ambarella engineers.
3, hold OK button to take photo, this can only be done on 1080P or 720P mode now. working on this with Ambarella engineers.
4, added "0806" before firmware version, for easier firmware identification when users need an upgrade.
5, add "AV-OUT" setting between "PARKING GUARD" and "GREEN INDICATOR", as a switch of AV-OUT. (AV-OUT will consume power, so it is recommended to switch
it off if you don't need to output AV signal.) (Please reboot the camera to make AV-OUT take effect.)

MINI0806 DASH CAMERA FIRMWARE UPDATE Dec.29.2014
update log:
1, reworked the alternate recording function of card A and card B.
2, updated the menu list according manual.
3, closed Parking Guard function, will re-open this with the Parking Guard Mount.
4, UI adjustment.

This firmware is a milestone for Dual Card Camera.
There must be some slight bugs in the cards alternate recording; your feedback will be apperacited!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its good that a number of issues are being attended to but the last update was back in January.

Obviously however some things were not fixed, like the dual card issue, yet the December firmware update suggests that
it was attended to "reworked the alternate recording function of card A and card B". This was claimed to be a milestone for dual card camera.

Also December, bit curious about "closed Parking Guard function, will re-open this with the Parking Guard Mount", but the PG Mount for the 0806 is not going to be available.

Who actually is producing these updates?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, I wasn't trying to talk bad about the 0806 or the company that makes them, was just hoping that they were still working on it and had not moved on to the next best thing. Looking forward to the next update :)

Thanks for the replies guys, I wasn't trying to talk bad about the 0806 or the company that makes them, was just hoping that they were still working on it and had not moved on to the next best thing. Looking forward to the next update :)

I think they're doing the best they can, the long time between updates speaks volumes about the complexity of what they're trying to do

Completely understandable. back in the day I used to do some programming on a project in perl. I can see how some things could get quite complex and appreciate that. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Ambarella A7 SDK needs to mature a bit more before complex, non-basic products are stable. We don't currently sell or support any Ambarella products at this time. (only Zoran Coach, and Novatek for now)

Completely understandable. back in the day I used to do some programming on a project in perl. I can see how some things could get quite complex and appreciate that. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

they opened a huge can of worms with the dual external cards, that's a lot more challenging to deal with than they may have anticipated

It honestly from me looking in and knowing a small amount of programming doesn't seem like it would be hard, but not knowing anything about what they are looking at I could and probably am underestimating it. Hope they get it worked out though.

I never understood why they included a double card capability, is there a big (if any) demand for this feature?

I would of thought having it able to use a 128gig card would of more than been enough for 99% of users. It’s a shame it still has a few issues, I was planing on getting the 0806 and using it for the front facing DVR, might need to get another 0805 if these issues aren’t resolved soon

they opened a huge can of worms with the dual external cards, that's a lot more challenging to deal with than they may have anticipated
Dual external cards isn't the problem, it's just the sequential use of them which some people want that is the issue. For those that want to use the second card as a backup card for when the first is missing or for copying videos to give to the police it works perfectly already.

It honestly from me looking in and knowing a small amount of programming doesn't seem like it would be hard, but not knowing anything about what they are looking at I could and probably am underestimating it. Hope they get it worked out though.
It really shouldn't be hard, I suspect Ambarella are making it intentionally difficult. At this rate, maybe we will have to wait for the Windows 10 release for the next update!

Dual external cards isn't the problem, it's just the sequential use of them which some people want that is the issue.

precisely, if the second card was just used as a reader to copy files etc it's no issue to support, what was promised is the challenge

It really shouldn't be hard, I suspect Ambarella are making it intentionally difficult.

what makes you say that?

I never understood why they included a double card capability, is there a big (if any) demand for this feature?

I would of thought having it able to use a 128gig card would of more than been enough for 99% of users. It’s a shame it still has a few issues, I was planing on getting the 0806 and using it for the front facing DVR, might need to get another 0805 if these issues aren’t resolved soon
The 0805 already has two cards, but it is sometimes useful to be able to get at both, so why not make them both external?

128GB is enough for 99% of user. You shouldn't be put off getting one unless you are in the other 1% in which case an 0805 is going to be useless to you! The main thing is that it produces some very fine video, and for 99% of people does it very reliably.

It was the quality of the image capture I heard the 0806 is capable of, that was making me go for the 0806 for the front screen, but second to image quality there needs to be some form of reliability. hearing these issues it has is making me (and maybe a few others) hold back till its more or less sorted out, or something else in the same price/form factor hits the market

it takes about 10 minutes to get a GPS lock for some reason.

This is normal. A GPS receiver needs to download information on the exact locations of the satellites. Your phone cheats and gets this information very quickly from the cellular network. Non-cellular devices like the cameras need to download from the satellite signals, which can take 10-15 minutes. This information is usable for several hours, which is why it takes 10 minutes to get a lock the first time in any given day that the camera is used, but subsequent uses on that day result in an immediate lock.

up to, it should get an initial cold start lock in around 2 minutes with this hardware, speed data can be a bit out during the first few minutes as it updates but if it's regularly taking 10 minutes from cold start that's a bit excessive and there's probably something else at play

Back