0906 public test - bug list in live

slightly off topic but hope its informative/entertaining, fitting the mini 0906 in the family car took all of about 15 minutes

Admittedly the wiring for the power was already installed under the interior trim to the window as we have the Mini 0805 fitted in the car, so was only a case of unplugging the power cord to the 0805 and plugging the micro USB in to the mini 0906

and hiding the rear view camera cable under the trimmings was a breeze like I said it took around 15 minutes and I was up and running (once I fitted the mount extension)

as now I’m going to be fitting it in the Lotus for my drive to Italy, hiding the cables in the Lotus isn’t as easy as in the Fiesta, in fact it isn’t easy at all

As I have the mini 0806 at the front, the power is already fitted, not much can be hidden
P1180432-SMALL-.jpg

so it was only a case of fitting the cable for the rear view camera, what could be so hard

P1180421-SMALL-.jpg

Well, there are no trimmings as such in the car so to hide the cable going to the back, the cable has to go to the opposite side of the dash where behind the dash is a large rubber grommet that takes the wiring from the front to the back of the car go through, it’s also the location I used to thread the power cord to my mini 0805 for the rear window

but to get to this rubber grommet (can’t be seen but is behind the alarm system) half the dash has to also come out

P1180428-SMALL-.jpg

P1180423-SMALL-.jpg

now if that isn’t bad enough, to hide the cabling from the dash to the back windscreen it has to go under the centre tunnel,

but to be able to get the centre tunnel out one (or better both) seats have to come out

P1180418-SMALL-.jpg

P1180420-SMALL-.jpg

in these images the console hasn’t been taken out yet

so the rear cabling passes under the centre console

P1180424-SMALL-.jpg

up behind the passenger rear door pillar

P1180425-SMALL-.jpg

and across the rear window

P1180426-SMALL-.jpg

around two and a half hours to get this far,

funny, I’m happy to be taking the car apart, but taking the DVR apart I’m concerned I might damage it

was too hot this evening to make a start on it so will have to be tomorrow now

I’m happy to be taking the car apart,

Most people are that, Its when it have to be put back, we not happy. Special when there is left over pieces.:cry:
Nice car and thanks for letting us see it.

Last edited:
Finishing off the installment of the mini 0906,

once I took out the rear mini 0805 and it’s power cord I gave the rear screen good clean, first with degreaser, then with (made for car) window cleaner, as I already knew where the center of the lens needed to be, it was just a case of trying to keep a steady hand and fit the mount to the glass

here’s the rear camera all wired up

P1180441-SMALL-.jpg

P1180442-SMALL-.jpg

the lead from the mini 0906 running under the center console and passenger seat all rapped up with conduit, I’ve still left the female cig litter that powered my 0805, should I need it for future DVR’s (saving me having to re thread a power cord to the back)

P1180447-SMALL-.jpg

As I was happy with the location of my front facing 0806 DVR, I planed on using the same spot for the mini 0906, so I made a template to give me a ruff idea where to aim the mini 0906 mount on the screen (while visually looking on the DVR LCD screen to give me a precise fixing on the windscreen)

P1180465-SMALL-.jpg

P1180466-SMALL-.jpg

then with a hair drier heated up the sticky pad on the old 0806 mount to soften it up prior to removing it, in the past I have heard of people having cracked their windscreen trying to prize off the DVR mounts off their windscreen

P1180467-SMALL-.jpg

then with a bendy spatular I gently pushed it under the mount, it went through the sticky pad like a hot knife through butter

P1180471-SMALL-.jpg

P1180472-SMALL-.jpg

P1180476-SMALL-.jpg

followed this with the use of a razor blade to fully remove the residue left over from the sticky pad, then with some white spirit, rubbed around the spot I was going to stick the mini 0906 mount

then it was just a case of attaching the mini 0906 (with mount) on to the screen having the template guide me, and here’s the 0906 all wired up

P1180477-SMALL-.jpg

P1180481-SMALL-.jpg

what a far cry from last week, now it’s all back together (can’t find any spare screws or bolts left over) one can’t tell the car interior was all in bits only two days back

P1180484-SMALL-.jpg

P1180488-SMALL-.jpg

I would say if I added up the time I took from start to finish, I’d say it took me around 3.5 to 4 hours, compared that to the 15 minutes for the family car

when I see the seat which was placed on ground there, wow it is tooooo thin for comfortability!

when I see the seat which was placed on ground there, wow it is tooooo thin for comfortability!
Thin = less weight, not less comfortable.
less weight = faster acceleration.

The first Lotus Elise weighed 725 kg, half the weight of a Ford Focus so accelerates twice as fast for the same amount of power.

Maybe we need a special light weight sports dashcam for fitting to light weight cars? Can you make a mini 0906 with only half the weight? :D

for sure they are not as comfortable as the ones in the family car,

in fact on my first drive to Italy after an hour or so of driving they were very uncomfortable. On that whole trip I was pulling over to stretch my legs and give my back side a rest quite often, when I got back from that trip I had the part I sit my bum on re foamed with much better foam than was factory fitted, not memory foam but very similar

as the seat is very low to the floor of the car one can drive the car with legs stretched right out, in fact now with better foam to sit on, and legs stretched out it's a very nice drive

I'll add this short clip from a couple of years back, taken approaching the St Bernard pass from Switzerland, till the SJ4000 camera fell off its mount :)

Is it possible to increase the ISO setting?

Looking at the video from yesterday I have a lot of motion blur but the video looks like we are using ISO50 when we could be using ISO400 and have 1/8th of the motion blur but still a OK quality image. There is no need to use ISO50 on a dashcam unless the image is so bright that you have reached maximum shutter speed, I think with this sensor ISO400 is still almost perfect and ISO800 is probably still OK quality. I don't know what ISO it was using, but I would expect less motion blur in those conditions from a fast sensor like this, for reading number plates we need minimum motion blur, not minimum ISO...

upload_2017-7-11_11-15-29.png

Hi guys, I Just bought the mini 0906 and it has the latest stable firmware 4.24.
I Just was wondering what the status was of the new firmware where the known bugs are resolved.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

I got this camera for 150 euro with 2 year warranty from the seller so I am not really that worried.

You should. Read through the test blog, here in the forum.
150euro WOW. The new camera should cost around $140
Someone is sitting with a very big :)

You should. Read through the test blog, here in the forum.
150euro WOW. The new camera should cost around $140
Someone is sitting with a very big :)
That's without import taxes I think;)

That's what I've already seen a few times. Maybe the local retailers dont even know that they are buying testing-hardware, they are just happy about the special offer they got from some chinese wholesaler who is getting rid of his testing-stock or whatever

That's what I've already seen a few times. Maybe the local retailers dont even know that they are buying testing-hardware, they are just happy about the special offer they got from some chinese wholesaler who is getting rid of his testing-stock or whatever

even then if they don't know then the purchase was not researched and still shows what type of seller they are

@Sjap84

It looks like you can return the camera without any cost, other than return shipping.
I will strongly suggest you return the test camera.
I can recommend the new (hardware improved) mini 0906 and it should be in store this month to a price around US$140.

Exactly I asked him and he told me that his supplier insured him this was the official production hardware.

Back