1080p @ 30fps VS 720p @ 60fps

LordX

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just bought a DOD LS330W Dashcam - and the first thing I noticed on the back of the box was the resolution and relative HZ of the compatible recording methods.

1080p is the highest rest for this cam, but at 30fps. The 720p resolution offers 60fps!

The 1080p will have higher res, but in a car that is moving quickly, my gut tells me that 60fps will capture a smoother picture of what happens than 30fps ever can - regardless of the resolution!

Anyone here have any thoughts on this - or personal experience testing both methods?

Reason being? The more FPS, the more fluidity of motion, and the more that is captured. Would that not be a good thing to have for a high motion accident or collision? Especially one that may be contested?

Smaller field of view, less pixels, try them out and see what you like, very rare anyone uses 720p though

Reactions: Mtz
Is DOD 60 fps real fps or is it doubled 30?

If it is frame doubled - then that negates my argument for 720p entirely. Where can I check this spec?

Ok I can try that. How can I check the video file to see if it is frame doubled or true 60 fps?

Play video frame by frame, easy to see is it same frame twice.
Like in VLC Player press "E" to go frame by frame.

720p/60 will allso trottle back to 30 FPS when in low light situations, it simply have to do that to be able to capture good footage ( minus motion blur witch all cameras have in low light conditions )

Play video frame by frame, easy to see is it same frame twice.
Like in VLC Player press "E" to go frame by frame.

Just try and you can see one frame happens twice.

If you think about what most of us are using a dash cam for, it's to capture the events that lead up to the accident. While 30p may not be a fluid as 60p, in reality you can still show what happened even at 10p and 15p. Fluid motion is NOT what we are after, we want to show the event to prove we are not in the wrong. In that case, higher resolution may capture something that a lower resolution may miss.

Back