128GB thinkware sd card

One anomaly I have noticed is that Thinkware's cards are marked as 'HC' (click the link above and see for yourself). I thought the HC spec only went up to 32GB, for larger sizes the spec is called 'XC'. I've not been able to find any other make of card that is over 32GB and a HC card. I wonder if this anomaly has anything to do with other cards not working like my experience.
they print whatever they want on the cards, anything above 32GB is XC

I've read through all this thread's posts and thought I'd seen the SanDisk Extreme and Samsung Evo cards being recommended as working. Sadly I've had both these cards from Amazon and had to return both as they appeared to format okay in the camera, but then the camera tells me about 10 seconds later that the card needs formatting.

So I emailed Thinkware to ask them if their cameras only use their own cards. There response was:

"The devices are not locked to Thinkware only SD cards. However we cannot guarantee compatibility of other makes of SD. 128GB Thinkware card and lower are purchasable below.
https://thinkwaredashcam.store/accessories/f800-pro/
Kind Regards,
Ryan (Thinkware Support Team)"

I initially thought, as many have speculated, that my camera being so new (purchased June 18), that I had the latest firmware and this locked out third-party cards. But I'm not sure now as so many others seem to have had success with the SanDisk Extreme and the Samsung Evo.

One anomaly I have noticed is that Thinkware's cards are marked as 'HC' (click the link above and see for yourself). I thought the HC spec only went up to 32GB, for larger sizes the spec is called 'XC'. I've not been able to find any other make of card that is over 32GB and a HC card. I wonder if this anomaly has anything to do with other cards not working like my experience.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will just buy the Thinkware 128GB card, as I want that capacity and think other posters are right about having bought the Rolls Royce of dashcams, why would I then buy cheap accessories for it. I'm gutted, as I would have liked to shop around, but I just want it to work now and feel I've exhausted every avenue.

That's my two-pennies worth, for what it's worth.

Sorry to hear about your experience with using non Thinkware branded cards. I will mention that both Samsung EVO cards are still in use and working fine in my camera. One thing I have noticed with the Samsung cards is that they are much slower loading vids during playback on my PC. If I had bought two dud cards in a row like you did I would've have said screw it and paid the steep premium for a Thinkware branded card, too. I sure wish I could explain the hit and miss results people have gotten with these different brands of cards but I can't.

In case this helps anyone, this is the expensive real deal. Maybe there's something in the specs that may be relevant.

IMG_0110.jpg IMG_0111.jpg .IMG_0112.jpg IMG_0113.jpg .IMG_0115.jpg .IMG_0116.jpg

And if the type of NAND memory type on these cards is important (Thinkware 128GB card is MLC), then this is what Samsung say about their cards:

"Please be informed that Samsung uses two types of storage memory for its SD cards.
For the EVO and EVO (+)/Plus models, it uses the TLC storage memory, while for the PRO and PRO (+)/Plus Models, it uses MLC storage memory.
The MB-MP..., MB-ME... and MB-MC... models use the TLC Storage memory while the MB-MF..., MB-MD... and MB-MJ... models use the MLC storage memory.

We do hope to have adequately informed you.
Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Sandra
Customer Support Team"

Thanks for the info. Sure would be helpful if the manufacturers plainly listed in the specs which type of NAND memory a given card uses.

I've been trying to use a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance card with limited success. It seemed a bit unstable to begin with - I even managed to get some recordings with the wrong time showing at the bottom! Now it almost always says "Memory card format required" when I turn it on.

I'm limited to on-road parking so I'm keen to get as much parking mode recording time as possible but trying more cards seems like throwing more good money after bad.

I've been trying to use a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance card with limited success. It seemed a bit unstable to begin with - I even managed to get some recordings with the wrong time showing at the bottom! Now it almost always says "Memory card format required" when I turn it on.

I'm limited to on-road parking so I'm keen to get as much parking mode recording time as possible but trying more cards seems like throwing more good money after bad.
I have heard the F800 pro can be 'picky' with SD cards. I have used these two for over a year without issue. They're a good deal cheaper now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B073JYC4XM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B06XFX9N84

The f800 and q800 are not picky with cards and seem to work with anything so well worth taking a firmware backup. The f770 as long as you are on a older firmware it works fine with other cards. ive got several f770 still working bought over the last few years and everyone of them fails to work on latest firmware, if i downgrade its all fine. They really should be banned from blocking certain cards with firmware.

The f800 and q800 are not picky with cards and seem to work with anything so well worth taking a firmware backup. The f770 as long as you are on a older firmware it works fine with other cards. ive got several f770 still working bought over the last few years and everyone of them fails to work on latest firmware, if i downgrade its all fine. They really should be banned from blocking certain cards with firmware.
Thanks for that, worth bearing in mind before I update.

Hi,

I have another model of "Thinkware" dashcam - it's DVR-F800PRO from Alpine - would be good to know if Alpine is a Thinkware Model or is it otherwise?
I'm asking because my Alpine has a 1.00.00 Firmware and can't find any other for that model :/

Have also same problem with sd cards - original 32GB is working great but have bought SanDisk Extreme 128GB_V30_U3_A2 and it doesn't "want" to work with me :) - tried many times formatting Fat32 and exFat either in PC or in dashcam and finally after 127 ;) attempts have fighted out, that it worked without complaining "bad sd-card" or "need card formatting" every time it was turning on - but after checking the files I found out that recording was first started every time about 4-5 minutes after ignition on.
Finally - card out :(
Now I've bought 128GB Samsung EVO U1 MB-MP128D /without "+" or even "Plus"/ and will test it tomorrow - hope it will work fine.

Have someone any knowledge about differences between Thinkware and Alpine?
Any info or links with newer firmware for Alpine?

Any help would be nice :D

Hi,

I have another model of "Thinkware" dashcam - it's DVR-F800PRO from Alpine - would be good to know if Alpine is a Thinkware Model or is it otherwise?
I'm asking because my Alpine has a 1.00.00 Firmware and can't find any other for that model :/

Have also same problem with sd cards - original 32GB is working great but have bought SanDisk Extreme 128GB_V30_U3_A2 and it doesn't "want" to work with me :) - tried many times formatting Fat32 and exFat either in PC or in dashcam and finally after 127 ;) attempts have fighted out, that it worked without complaining "bad sd-card" or "need card formatting" every time it was turning on - but after checking the files I found out that recording was first started every time about 4-5 minutes after ignition on.
Finally - card out :(
Now I've bought 128GB Samsung EVO U1 MB-MP128D /without "+" or even "Plus"/ and will test it tomorrow - hope it will work fine.

Have someone any knowledge about differences between Thinkware and Alpine?
Any info or links with newer firmware for Alpine?

Any help would be nice :D
I've found the updates here I think

Using Samsung Evo Plus 128GB with my Thinkware F800 Pro does not have any issues that's you've mentioned.

But it's is best to format the card using the dashcam itself.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

This is only a database update, not firmware - but thank you :)
I'll give some info today about my dashcam working with this new /old model/ of Samsung EVO 128GB

edit 12:15

YEESSS (y)
Samsung EVO 128GB works great :D
Again - it is this "orange" Samsung EVO 128GB without "+" or "Plus", quoted on Page2 of this thread by samuelh_888 - it is MB-MP128DA/EU or MB-MP128D /on my card/

There was no "card error" or even "card needs formatting" - after turning on with Samsung EVO card was immediately "continuous recording will now start"
Conclusion - when you put brand new card in your dashcam then with a proper card will it work fine even without need of formatting (y) - if your dashcam claims card formatting then it is already not 100% proper card for this device /sometimes will work just fine but sometimes with problems as I mentioned above/

One more interesting fact - Original 32GB card is labeled THINKWARE DASH CAM, even if my device is Alpine :unsure: - meaning Alpine has taken F800PRO from Thinkware - wish having firmware updates also :unsure:

Last edited:
This is only a database update, not firmware - but thank you :)
I'll give some info today about my dashcam working with this new /old model/ of Samsung EVO 128GB

edit 12:15

YEESSS (y)
Samsung EVO 128GB works great :D
Again - it is this "orange" Samsung EVO 128GB without "+" or "Plus", quoted on Page2 of this thread by samuelh_888 - it is MB-MP128DA/EU or MB-MP128D /on my card/

There was no "card error" or even "card needs formatting" - after turning on with Samsung EVO card was immediately "continuous recording will now start"
Conclusion - when you put brand new card in your dashcam then with a proper card will it work fine even without need of formatting (y) - if your dashcam claims card formatting then it is already not 100% proper card for this device /sometimes will work just fine but sometimes with problems as I mentioned above/

One more interesting fact - Original 32GB card is labeled THINKWARE DASH CAM, even if my device is Alpine :unsure: - meaning Alpine has taken F800PRO from Thinkware - wish having firmware updates also :unsure:

Checked and found its OEM from Thinkware to Alpine for Germany market only. May e you can email Alpine for the firmware or maybe can use the firmware from Thinkware?

Emailed Alpine and answer was "no newer firmware yet"
Tried to use Thinkware firmware - no luck

It's working fine now - hoping no need for firmware update :) but this OEM from Thinkware to Alpine would be nice to have /regardless from Germany market - I think it's the same all over Europe/

Have also same problem with sd cards:D

Same here: Alpine DVR-F800PRO from Alpine Europe with no firmware upgrade available (I tried Thinkware's firmware upgrade files but they simply are ignored by the unit) and problems with MicroSD cards.

Now I'd need a working 128GB card but I'd like to avoid the Thinkware tax on that (their card is outrageously expensive). I understand that the Samsung EVO (not Plus) could work, but what about endurance? Speaking of which, any experience with the 128GB Samsung PRO Endurance series?

Last edited:
Samsung PRO Endurance is U1 not U3 - think it should work, as my earlier Sandisk Extreme was also U3 and was baaaaad :cry: and Samsung EVO is U1 and works fine (y)

I've changed once the file name of the upgrade file from F800PRO_pkg.bin to DVR-F800PRO_pkg.bin and then it was not completely ignored as before, but have said something like "update firmware will start" - I thought already will be updated, but it doesn't go further. Checked also inside upgrade file, but it's hard to tell what to change for update to go on.

The only card that will consistently work with the F800 at the moment is the Samsung Evo; it has the orange label and part number MB-MP128DA/EU
(Replace 128 if you want a lesser size).

Don’t go for the Evo+, Pro or Pro+ as they don’t seem to work.
What about the 128GB Samsung PRO Endurance (U1)? Any hope of compatibility?

I wanted also the best one available and bought this SanDisk Extreme card in the beginning - later found many useful sites with dash cam talks and seems like these devices doesn't like "to good" cards - Samsung EVO is more then sufficient for recording that type of data.

Back