128GB thinkware sd card

I wanted also the best one available and bought this SanDisk Extreme card in the beginning - later found many useful sites with dash cam talks and seems like these devices doesn't like "to good" cards - Samsung EVO is more then sufficient for recording that type of data.
The problem is that there are good chances that the card will die soon, given the heavy duty task and the extreme operational temperatures, so a card built to last longer in these conditions has better chances.

I stumbled upon this bit of information: US Dash Camera channel speaks about the 128GB Samsung EVO Select (U3) during the F800PRO review:

Last edited:
In case this helps anyone, this is the expensive real deal. Maybe there's something in the specs that may be relevant.

View attachment 48346 View attachment 48347 .View attachment 48348 View attachment 48349 .View attachment 48350 .View attachment 48351
Great! Thanks! By the way, this original thinkware memory card for 128Gb with FAT32 or exFAT formatting?

Has anyone tried to use Toshiba cards (Exceria M303/M303E/M402)?
About SanDisk UltraA1 somewhere was said that it's not suitable for high bitrate or 2 channel recorders.
And I've found one interesting memory card - VIOFO 128GB Professional High Speed MLC MicroSDXC UHS-3.
Maybe someone know which 64GB memory card is guaranteed to work with F800PRO?
From my experience: I bought a memory card WD Purple Surveillance microSDXC 128GB (WDD128G1P0A), it was formatted in the exFAT standard. Unfortunately, it refused to work, even after reformatting it in FAT32.

Last edited:
All 128GB cards are factory exFAT formatted /afaik/.
I think all of 64GB cards will work with F800PRO without problems - 128GB is the upper limit for this device and therefore some cards refuse to work with that.

Each batch of Viofo's cards are tested by the manufacturer in his cams at very high bitrates, so my guess would be that they will work OK but I do not know that anyone has actually tried them in this cam yet.

Phil

So, after reading the entire topic, this is what I have learned in a nutshell, please let me know if I am incorrect...

1) as far as cost, 64Gb is better than running a 128GB because the 64GB holds the same memory as the 128GB.

2) the F800Pro is more accepting of the 64GB cards than the 128GB? (or is there an aftermarket 128GB card that works as well as the Thinkware?)

1: No a 64Gb hold half of a 128 GB card, what you say is only true if the 64Gb memory card are in a single camera system and the 128 GB card are in a 2 channel system.
In which case they will both hold about 8 hours of recordings ( this change by resolution used - bitrate 8 hours are about it with a 1080p camera using a 18 mbit bitrate and a 64Gb memory card )
A dual system should not have a smaller memory card than 128 GB, preferably larger than that ,not least if it is larger than 1080p on one or both cameras.

2: i am not keeping up with the thinkware cameras ( and never tried one ) they do appear to me to be cameras that do not like just about any memory card.

i love this thread, each year i come back to see what the latest updates are about sd cards. i'm fairly sure whether the sd cards works, unstable or does not work at all is down to the firmware. I have only recently gone through the entire thinkware stack of cameras and from using them for months/ years can say that it must be software. I have installed a crazy amount and would still rate thinkware over black vue.

I have tried branded cards non thinkware most of them work fine to begin with, a few are not recognised with some later developing issues. The longest i have had one working must be close to 10 months before having to format it to start again.

The thinkware branded cards however just work, never had an issue but are pricy.

Im sure its down to what someone mentioned before TLS and MLS type of cards and whether you run into the thinkware software bugs with how they write to the card. Again its pure fluke and you could just be lucky.

The older ones were notorious for being picky unless you used old old firmware to get the card to even recognise and then run the risk of hitting buggy writes/ reads with the card. or later firmware and risk the card not even being recognised.

Thinkware = reliable
non thinkware branded = work but you may have to format occasionally

*assuming card is recognised.

i advise all customers to use thinkware sd cards, its very likely that the one time you need the footage or the dash cam an accident will happen.

I hope the new 2021 thinkware dash cams will be less buggy and work with more SD Cards.

Back