Pics that make you smile

......... If I hadn't already been late for work I would have just stopped to get gas on the way, but I tried pushing it and learned my lesson.

Can't wait till I can afford an electric car, so I can charge at home and have a full "tank" every morning.

What will happen with the electric car in th same scenario. Will the road service vehicle turn up with a Supercapacitor to give you a fast charge ?

What will happen with the electric car in th same scenario. Will the road service vehicle turn up with a Supercapacitor to give you a fast charge ?
Either tow you to a charging station, or have an onboard generator to give you a quick 5 minute charge to get you to a charger (equivalent to the gallon of fuel they might put in your car at the side of the road). But if you can charge every day at home, that scenario is highly unlikely to happen. Maybe on a long road trip, but not your daily commute.

I would compare charging the car at home to charging your phone. You just do it without thinking about it so it's always full in the morning. It won't take long to develop the habit of plugging in your car when you get home, just like most folks plug in their phones when they get home or go to bed. And since most EVs have apps now, it would be simple to have the app nag you if it notices that you've been home for a while but you haven't plugged in yet. Wireless charging might even get to the point where it can charge a car overnight, so you wouldn't even have to plug in - just park in your garage/carport/etc where the charging pad lives, and it starts charging.

If I win the lottery I may spring for a Tesla model Y, or keep it simple and cheaper, and find one of the compliance cars Toyota built together with Tesla - the 2012-2014 Rav4 EV - same body and interior as my current 2006 Rav4, but with the drivetrain from a Tesla model S. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV

Last edited:
I'd buy an EV right now if it met the following 'must have' criteria:

1 - A minimum full charge range of 300 miles regardless of the ambient temperature
2 - Recharge from 'empty' to 'full' in the same time it takes to fill a gas tank (10 minutes max)
3 - Charging station availability equivalent to current refueling station availability

...and 'nice but not necessary'

4 - A portable plug in battery pack equivalent to a 5 gallon gas can for those times when you know you'll be away from charging stations

Lacking items 1-3 EVs will remain a specialty, niche market, product unsuitable for the general population as a replacement for internal combustion vehicles. I'm sure we will get there some day (maybe even with a different power source) but I don't see it happening in the next 10 years.

I see an EV as an ideal second car, although too expensive to really fill that role for most people I would think, once the technology (battery life, charge time) and infrastructure (fast charge stations) and prices improve though they could be viable as a primary vehicle for a lot of people

1 - A minimum full charge range of 300 miles regardless of the ambient temperature
2 - Recharge from 'empty' to 'full' in the same time it takes to fill a gas tank (10 minutes max)
3 - Charging station availability equivalent to current refueling station availability

4 - A portable plug in battery pack equivalent to a 5 gallon gas can for those times when you know you'll be away from charging stations

Lacking items 1-3 EVs will remain a specialty, niche market, product unsuitable for the general population as a replacement for internal combustion vehicles. I'm sure we will get there some day (maybe even with a different power source) but I don't see it happening in the next 10 years.

I'm with you on this. When I was looking for a new car in 2016, I was considering EV, Hybrid or gas. Decided on Hybrid SUV finally. My driving is mostly urban. No regrets. Especially with our gas priced at C$ 1.72/ lit now in Metro Vancouver.

2.11 CAD / liter or 11 DKkr / liter here at the moment.

aerdG9Q_460s.jpg

1 and 4 are covered by the new rivian truck, due out late this year or early 2020. Supposedly up to 400 mile range, and whole it won't charge in 10 minutes, I think they're shooting for 30. Which if you're using a full charge in a single day you probably want to take a longer break anyway, to refuel yourself, and just get out and stretch and stuff. No, they aren't for everyone yet (apartment dwellers for example) but they're working on it.

But the fact that EVs with only 100 miles range exist and are being bought says that not everyone needs big range. I'm seriously considering that rav4 which only has about 100 mile range, because that's enough for me. I rarely need to drive more than 100 miles in a day, and if I do, it's usually the whole family anyway so we'll take my wife's car, which is more comfy and gets better highway mpg to boot. If we were to replace here's with an EV it would mean renting a gas car for those 1-2 road trips we do every year. I haven't done the math but it would probably still be cheaper overall since electricity is so much cheaper than gasoline.

1 and 4 are covered by the new rivian truck, due out late this year or early 2020....
Yep, living in SE Michigan (and owning FMC stock) I'm very aware of it and it does look promising.
...and whole it won't charge in 10 minutes, I think they're shooting for 30. Which if you're using a full charge in a single day you probably want to take a longer break anyway, to refuel yourself, and just get out and stretch and stuff....
But a 30 minute refueling period anywhere except at home is, at least for me, beyond acceptable. I would assume many others would find it unpalatable as well.
...But the fact that EVs with only 100 miles range exist and are being bought says that not everyone needs big range....
And that is the specialty, niche market I referenced.

When items 2 & 3 in my list can be addressed, and they will have to be to be generally acceptable, EVs then become a viable replacement for current IC vehicles.

I don't think you can compare traditional gas/diesel fuel stations with EV charging stations as there is no equivalency. Unlike gas stations you can charge a vehicle practically anywhere you find a three prong 110V or 240V outlet so combined with charging stations there is a different metric. Currently 80% of EV charging is done at home or businesses with long range driving an issue for some but not most.

Nevertheless, there are currently nearly 50,000 electric vehicle charging stations in the US (AC Level II and DC fast chargers - (as of 2019 - 47,886 as of 11/2017). The number is increasing exponentially, especially fast chargers. There are currently charging stations in every US state and it won't take long for the full network to be built out.

https://insideevs.com/news/335123/n...in-us-increased-to-48000-15000-in-california/

Even the small rural town I live near (pop.12,000) has an eight bay Tesla charging station and about ten independent other charging stations provided by the local municipality (in public parking lots), at car dealerships, hotels and other businesses. There are also some local Inns with affiliated Tesla charging stations intended specifically for travelers staying at these establishments but not available to the general public.

Currently, it is predicted that the cost of the average electric vehicle will achieve parity in price with internal combustion engines in 2022 which will herald the tipping point for widespread adoption of EVs. The fact that EVs save so much money on the costs of car ownership with no need to purchase gas or oil, or pay for engine maintenance and related repairs adds enormously to their appeal.

Unlike traditional gas stations, EV charging stations can be erected in a matter of only a couple of weeks or even less. I watched our local Tesla station going up and it felt as if it just sort of "appeared" out of nowhere.
It's basically a giant transformer and the individual chargers. The transformer is in the big wooden box you see on the left. This is why this infrastructure can be built out so quickly.
teslaSG-.jpg

Last edited:
we had battery swap stations for a short while, but it seem like this approach was nixed, which make sense as we Danes did that.
Dont think EV batteries are a standard size.
I was not aware EV charger cables ( Tesla ) are using active cooling of the charge cable itself :eek: Not something you would put your tongue on :giggle:

I would take a EV as my drive pattern could do that just fine, but only EV i can afford are a E-bike or scooter, even the smallest EV car are outside my financial powers.

I have never seen a Tesla charge station, but many car parks have a few spots with option to charge EV, but then it is not Tesla branded.
Just googled and actually over near the copy of Graceland there are tesla super chargers, 14 of them up to 120 KWh
One of the now gone battery swap places.

Last edited:
Only the new v3 superchargers have liquid cooled charger cables, and those have only started being rolled out in the last few months. Apparently the active cooling allows them to run higher currents and have a thinner, lighter cable at the same time.

Haha now thats my kind of humor.

The dream pet for the girl with a dirty mind and no borders, but no girl or boyfriend.

giphy.gif

Hehe a sign like that are just asking for trouble, but most worrying is no one thought about that at all, and really it was a prime chance to capture a vandal or two.

Back